Home made egg nog?

SteveZZZ
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

With the holiday season coming up, I've started to think about egg nog (well, that Evan Williams egg nog thread helped). So do you guys make it from scratch? Or do you blend store bought stuff with bourbon? I'd like to make my own this year, but I have no idea where to get started. Anyone have a good recipe?

Steve

"Maker's Mark Eggnog"

Ingredients:

1 liter Maker's Mark

1 quart milk

1 quart heavy cream

2 dozen eggs

1 1/2 cups sugar

nutmeg for garnish

Separate eggs and beat yolks until creamy. Whip sugar into yolks. Beat whites until they stand in peaks, adding 1/2 cup additional sugar, if desired. Beat yolks and Maker's Mark together, add whites. Beat cream. Add cream and milk to mixture. Add nutmeg to taste and garnish each cup with nutmeg. Makes 2 1/2 gallons.

Ok, not nog but I found this straight off Wild Turkey's website and it uses a raw egg... I will not be trying this one!

Turkey Egg

Pour 2 oz. (60 ml) Wild Turkey Liqueur, 6 oz. (180 ml) Orange juice and 1 egg into a blender and blend at high speed. Pour over ice (Makes two drinks.)

Growing up there was a dairy farm in the next town over (Dracut, MA), called Shaw's farm, that made the best Egg Nog in the universe, so everybody just used that for blending spirit. That said my Grandfather was the rebel type so he had his own recipe. I will try to get it from my Mom.

TomC

I love homemade egg nog. I think my wife usually makes the recipe from The Good Housekeeping Cookbook.

Tim

Hmmm.... the Maker's Mark eggnog looks good, but I don't know about 2.5 gallons of it. Any idea how long it'd stay good kept in the fridge? Does the alcohol preserve the milk and eggs? Would I be insane to make it with Booker's instead? falling.gif Hmm... dont know if I can afford a full recipe with it anyways, but I'd assume you can split it in half easily.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

12 egg yolks

1qt.heavy cream

1/2 lb. sugar

nutmeg

1qt.milk

1 fifth gold rum/or whiskey

Beat egg yolks until light. Beat in the sugar until mixture is thick. Stir in milk and rum. Chill 3 hrs. Pour in punch bowl. Fold in heavy cream, stiffly whipped. Chill 1 hr.. Dust with nutmeg. Serves 24.

Party Time!

TomC

My Mom's recipe. Bourbon optional. grin.gif

6 eggs, separated

Combine yolks, 3/4 cup sugar, little vanilla,

2/3 cup whiskey (or less) - Beat

(pour whiskey in slowly)

Beat 1 pint whipping cream; fold into yolks mixture

Beat whites, then add 1/2 cup sugar; fold into above

mixture

Here's a few recipes from the Virtual Blender:

Egg Nog

Egg Nog (traditional)

2 ounces liquor (whiskey, rum, or brandy work best)

1 egg

8 ounces milk

1 teaspoon sugar

The above ingredients are only for one serving. For larger batches, multiply as needed to make this punch.

For several guests, make a large batch of Egg Nog batter, which should remain fresh for several days if refrigerated. Begin making batter by separating the whites from the yolks. Beat yolks until frothy and add sugar. Continue beating the mixture of yolk and sugar while adding liquor slowly. Let egg, sugar, and liquor sit for at least an hour. Then, take the whites, and add 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt for each four whites, and beat until stiff. Fold the whites with the yolk and liquor to finish making the batter.

Prior to serving, add cold milk and the desired spirit. Use a whisk or an electric hand mixer for the ideal consistency for several servings. If you're making a single serving, use 2 tablespoons batter, 2 ounces spirit, and 3 ounces whole milk. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds, and strain into a chilled wine goblet or a warmed Irish coffee mug. Dust with nutmeg.

You might also consider making a batch of Tom and Jerrys

bourbon, rye, or brandy and rum

12 eggs, chilled

3 tablespoons simple syrup

milk or water

Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Beat the yolks thin and the whites thick. Combine egg parts together, and then add sugar.

In each cup or glass, drop in 2 to 3 tablespoons of the egg-and-sugar mix. Stir in 1 1/2 ounces rye, bourbon, or brandy, and then add 3/4 ounce rum. Top with hot water or hot - not boiled - milk. Dust with nutmeg. Variation: Top with half milk and half water. Vary the proportion of light and dark spirits, emphasizing only one (see if you prefer a rye T&J, or a Bourbon T&J or a dark Rum T&J). Drink can be made with just one spirit.

Couple more recipes, this time from the Esquire drinks database.

Virginia Eggnog

Separate a dozen fresh eggs, putting aside whites for the moment. Beat the yolks strenuously, slowly adding 12 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Continue at tempo until the sugar is entirely dissolved. Slowly pour in 1 pint cognac, stirring all the while. Follow with 1/2 pint full-bodied Jamaican rum. Pouring the liquor into the yolks has the effect of cooking them more lovingly than any stove could. Now stir in 1 pint milk and 1/2 pint heavy cream. (Cream may be whipped, but this makes the result a bit rich, so to some tastes plain cream is preferable.) Clean off egg-beating equipment and go at the whites until they will stand without toppling. Fold the whites into the general mixture, then stir in grated nutmeg. If the outcome is too sweet to suit your taste, splash about a little extra cognac (or a lot, if Aunt Henrietta isn't watching too closely). This will serve about 10 people. For convenience's sake, some people make this eggnog the day before the party and put it in the refrigerator. Parked there--or even on the pantry windowsill--it will keep perfectly for several days if air-tight glass jars are used.

Rappahannock Eggnog

1 dozen egg yolks (no whites used at all)

12 even tbsps bar sugar

3 pints bourbon

12 oz full-bodied rum with plenty of "nose" to it

12 oz peach brandy

3 pints milk

1 pint whipped cream

Beat yolks in a kitchen bowl for 30 minutes. (An electric mixer is a good reprieve.) Add the sugar gradually, with no letup. Then, shot by shot, pour in the 3 liquors, followed by the milk. Last of all, toss in the whipped cream.

"To tradition-steeped Christmas celebrants, the season would be bleak unless thickly upholstered with Eggnog."-Esquire's Handbook for Hosts, 1947.

Since then, every ingredient of this seasonal necessity has been proven to be the nutritional equivalent of sucking on the tailpipe of a crosstown bus. And together? Raw eggs, refined white sugar, liquor, whole milk, and heavy cream--damn!

Yet those "tradition-steeped celebrants" knew a thing or two about getting through the family-filled day. Rather than watch the frown lines on Aunt Henrietta's face harden as you suck down enough Cosmopolitans to keep you from sticking your head in the fireplace, why not get fully upholstered under the banner of Norman Rockwellian good cheer and holiday spirit? No frowns, everybody's happy. Sort of.

And the Esquire recipe for Tom & Jerry:

Invented in the early 1850s by "Professor" Jerry Thomas--the Bolivar of American drinking--at the Planters' House hotel, St. Louis, the Tom and Jerry was a holiday favorite for a century. The '60s, with their thirst for novelty and mania for convenience, killed it off, but you can still find the mugs--little white ceramic things with "Tom & Jerry" printed in gold--in back-country thrift shops (or on eBay, of course).

Separate a dozen eggs. Beat up the whites until they form a stiff froth, and the yolks--to which you have added 1/2 pound (1 cup) sugar--"until they are as thin as water," as the Professor advises, gradually adding 4 oz brandy (spiceaholics will also add a pinch each of ground allspice, cinnamon, and cloves). Fold the whites into the yolks. When ready to serve, give it another stir and then put 1 tbsp of this batter in a small mug or tumbler. Now add 1 oz brandy (although sensible Dixiecrats prefer bourbon) and 1 oz Jamaican rum, stirring constantly to avoid curdling. Fill to the top with hot milk and stir until you get foam. Sprinkle a little grated nutmeg on top. This one may require practice and a certain amount of fiddling, but it's well worth the effort. Note: Some people find the milk too rich and filling, so they use half hot milk, half boiling water.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a variation of a recipe I found on the net. I've only made this once, but it was fantastic! ooo.gif It was very easy to prepare, and I'll definately be making this again. (apologies for the non-bourbon components wink.gif)

10 eggs, separated

3 cups granulated sugar

1 pint (16 fluid ounces) white rum

1 quart heavy cream

1 pint (16 fluid ounces) bourbon

1 pint (16 fluid ounces) brandy

3 quarts milk

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Beat the egg yolks until smooth. Add cream and spices, blend thoroughly. Pour beaten yolk mixture into pot having at least a 6-quart capacity. Add the milk and sugar and stir well. Put over high heat and stir often. While yolk mixture is heating, in a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy and smooth but not too firm, about 3 minutes with an electric beater on high. Add the egg whites to the yolk mixture, stirring gently to retain the "foamy" consistency, and bring to 160 degrees farenheit. Allow the egg nog to cool a bit, then ladle into storage bottles (I use 2 empty 1 gallon milk jugs). Stir the mixture vigorously between bottles to mix up any sugar or spice sediment. Chill bottles. For a milder, creamier egg nog, drink within one day. Egg nog can be aged for up to 6 weeks and gets stronger and more complex with time. Shake bottles at least once a week to keep mixed, and shake well before serving. Makes about 6 quarts. Total preparation time: around 1 hour.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.