BOTM 7/14: Very Old Barton 100 proof/BIB

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's that time once again, and yes I know I'm late. What can I say? :skep:

Once again, I received a suggestion from a fellow member for this months BOTM, (Thanks Charles) so I figured why not.:grin: As was stated in a pm to me, it hasn't been the BOTM in a while, there's been some changes to it, and we have quite a few newer members. There ya go.

Here's my two cents worth. As a lot of you know, I love my wheaters. I like BIB's/100 proofers just about as much. While I don't have anything bad to say about VOB BIB, I have to admit I don't care for it as much as I do a few other BIB's. There's nothing wrong with it at all, it's just my own individual taste preferences I guess. I know some of you will think I'm crazy, but I actually passed up a few bottles of the "age stated" VOB BIB while I was on vacation. Oh well.

Anyway, let's hear what y'all have to say about VOB BIB/100 proof. Oh, one more thing before we get started. Most of us are aware of all the changes that have taken place in the bourbon world the last year or two. Reference here being dropped age statements, BIB designations, drop in proof etc…. All this has already been covered in a few different threads here on SB. The changes to VOB BIB were covered quite extensively in a VOB specific thread IIRC. Please, and I emphasize the word please, don't air your gripes and complaints about the changes to VOB, and/or any other bourbons here. Everyone's cooperation would be greatly appreciated. Enough said.

Cheers! Joe

Thanks, Joe. I have several bottles of "6" and of "Aged 6 Years" that I've neglected. Time to pop a couple. Get ready, liver, we're going to get serious.:cool:

VOB BIB is my go-to bottom shelfer. Yes, I do like HH 6yr BIB (White Label) as well. But between the two I think I would take VOB BIB every time. It's a little smoother and more rounded for my taste.

I'm not going to pretend this is one of my favorites, but I enjoy it every time I drink it. It has not fared as well as I expected in several blind tastings, which threw me for a bit of loop. I solved that by cutting back on the blind tastings, and just enjoying it on its own. Does that mean I am being subconsciously swayed by its reputation here? Probably so, but it doesn't mean I enjoy it any less.

While I don't have anything bad to say about VOB BIB, I have to admit I don't care for it as much as I do a few other BIB's. There's nothing wrong with it at all, it's just my own individual taste preferences I guess.

My perspective exactly. The price is right and there is nothing wrong with it. It just isn't something that I look forward to. I can still find aged stated bottles but I continue to pass. I believe it must be the Barton profile that just doesn't do it for me.

Hmmm, I passed on a store selection barrel of this a couple months ago. Maybe I should have picked up one. Seems like it is likes by some. I think I will keep my eye open for some more. I've seen it at a few store around me.

Straight bourbon, aged six years (or so), 100 proof and roughly 10 bucks per bottle (actually saw it cheaper than that today). Ummm, yes please! I always have a bottle (or six:grin:) in the bunker!

Oh yes, I like this one a lot. It's not distributed in Washington State, but the steak and oyster house with the huge bourbon bar next to my office has it so that's how I came to try it. Liked it straight off. I found out that Oregon has it, so when a co-worker went down to Portland for the weekend, he picked up a case and we split it. After tax, it's about $15 a bottle which is incredible for what it is (and taking into account Washington's obscene taxes).

I'm a fan.

I was wondering about distribution. Haven't seen it here, either.

I like it. If I had to choose between VOB BIB and OGD BIB I would take the VOB all day long...

I've always liked it. It wasn't until a year or two ago that we started to see the BIB version in Indiana. The 80 proof NAS version is all over the place; drugstores etc. Before that, I made a point to bring several of these home every time I visited KY. I still have a full anchor style bottle in my bunker. After the most recent label change (thanks to SB giving me a heads up) I went to a small town and came home with a half dozen 6 year bottles. I still have not tried the "6" labeled Barton. The ironic thing to me about Barton BIB; I always thought it was a much tastier bourbon than 1792. The 1792 is supposed to be Barton's premium brand.

I love it and it's one of my favorites at any price point. I usually drink it neat but I will mix the 90 proof version on occasion.

I love it and it's one of my favorites at any price point. I usually drink it neat but I will mix the 90 proof version on occasion.

Truth be told, I usually add a little water just to avoid proof-related acid reflux.

I did a comparison tasting of EWBiB vs. VOBBiB tonight. I like both. EW had a sweeter, honey-like profile with floral notes. VOB, on the other hand, didn't have as much depth but had a pleasant cinnamon taste/burn to it. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with EW. EW was two bucks more, but either is a fine choice. VOB reminds me of Eagle Rare in the lingering spice it has.

Not available in Hawaii, Bruce (SBOTY nomination?!) brought me a bottle of the 6 yo. I've had it open for a while, but don't go to it often. First, I get an acetone note that doesn't appeal to me. Then, although fruity (which I like), I perceive the fruit as prune juice or Dr. Pepper (which is not so good). All in all, a good bourbon, but not to my taste. I'll keep plugging away at the bottle and may come around eventually.

I would so love to find this. Alas, once again Another brand Pennsylvania gets Zero bottles of this allocated per year. Really driving me nuts since I have been REALLY into 1792 RR the last month. A cheaper, younger, BIB from Barton? Yeah I'd love it but the guys in Harrisburg who obviously know better than I do what bourbon I should be spending my money on have THANKFULLY saved us Pennsylvania residents from the horrors of drinking this. Thanks again PLCB!

I like it and think its very good for the money, but I will take OGD BIB over it all day long.

I would so love to find this. Alas, once again Another brand Pennsylvania gets Zero bottles of this allocated per year. Really driving me nuts since I have been REALLY into 1792 RR the last month. A cheaper, younger, BIB from Barton? Yeah I'd love it but the guys in Harrisburg who obviously know better than I do what bourbon I should be spending my money on have THANKFULLY saved us Pennsylvania residents from the horrors of drinking this. Thanks again PLCB!

Curious, are these guys elected or appointed to their positions?

I bought a bottle a while back because people were saying it was a great value. It is. The bottle I have opened is NAS but I found an age stated bottle the other day hiding amongst the others and had to buy it. Since I enjoy my NAS bottle, I am certainly looking forward to the 6 year bottle.

Jason

I believe it must be the Barton profile that just doesn't do it for me.

...and that profile is exactly what I like so much about it. A classic YMMV. VOB, 1792, Tom Moore BiB, even old Ten High (before it was blend). I've heard people describe that intense taste as "bananas," though I always think "Luxardo cherries" when I have a sip. Really makes me look forward to the new ones they're fixin to roll out.

To my knowledge it is not available in FL. On vacation I found it in a liquor store. I bought a family size, and opened it the following night by a fire. I find it just ok. I drank it neat. Ill try it with some water and mixed soon. It isnt bad, just not high on my list of BIB.

I finally cracked one of my 6 year AS bottles, and right out of the gate I get that ample fruit (sometimes it's apple, sometimes it's more vegetal like pumpkin) that others have commented on. There's a good backing of toffee, vanilla oil, perfume, etc. Getting slight nail polish remover/solvent alcohol but airtime really helps. Also, I need to give this one a pinch of water. First pour neat had much too grainy alcohol harshness and some water certainly relaxes that.

For me, this is flat-out better than OGD BIB.

I finally cracked one of my 6 year AS bottles, and right out of the gate I get that ample fruit (sometimes it's apple, sometimes it's more vegetal like pumpkin) that others have commented on. There's a good backing of toffee, vanilla oil, perfume, etc. Getting slight nail polish remover/solvent alcohol but airtime really helps. Also, I need to give this one a pinch of water. First pour neat had much too grainy alcohol harshness and some water certainly relaxes that.

For me, this is flat-out better than OGD BIB.

I get basically the same out of the NAS. It's a water hungry pour for sure. The finish has the solvent for me and just sort of falls off a cliff. This can be solved by immediately taking another sip. :)

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.