Foreign Whisky of the Month SUGGESTIONS - August

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My apologies for missing two months of this, been a bit busy, it's summer. Some say whisk(e)y isn't good in hot months, so let's see if we can come up with some suggestions for warm weather drams? I'll take a few suggestions over the next couple days and put them into a poll that we'll run for a few more. Let's here them.

I don't think you can go wrong with any whisky in hot weather, but I tend to find myself gravitating toward world whiskies during the summer, I suppose. We could always do an Asian whisky month, now that Kavalan is at least relatively widely available in the U.S. I feel like the Japanese, Taiwanese, and Indian options are all a bit limited, but together there is a decent amount of variety to be had.

Otherwise, I'd go with something with strong citrus notes, maybe Oban, Old Pultney, or another of the coastal Highland Malts.

Sullivans Cove or Nant (if it's available in the US) :) Both craft distilled in Australia :)

Black Velvet

post-3307-14489821280092_thumb.jpg

Edited by callmeox
needed photo backup for my suggestion

sticking with the "B" theme here... Bladnoch?
Didn't the company that owns Bladnoch go bankrupt? Their website has a pretty grim message on the front:
Joseph Luke Charleton of Ernst & Young was appointed official liquidator of Co-Ordinated Development Services, the company which operates Bladnoch Distillery, on 10 March 2014. The liquidator is currently assessing the business and its assets with the view to selling the business as a going concern.

The liquidator will be in touch with all stakeholders in the coming days.

Joseph Luke Charleton is licensed in the United Kingdom to act as an insolvency practitioner by the Institute of Chartered Accounts of Scotland.

We may collect, use, transfer, store or otherwise process (collectively, “Processâ€) information that can be linked to specific individuals (“Personal Dataâ€). We may Process Personal Data in various jurisdictions in accordance with applicable law and professional regulations including (without limitation) the Data Protection Act 1998.

X2 on the idea of discussing Asian whiskies at some point. There are getting to be a few available and highly recommended. Would be nice to hear the experience that others on this site have had. Unfortunately there are no options yet here in Manitoba but I do travel to Alberta and Snowbird in Arizona during the winter. It would be great to learn about some of the drams to look for.

Wee Robbie

I'd suggest Powers Gold Label. It's a light and fruity Irish whiskey that seems to be available and affordable anywhere I go. I think it also changed not too long ago. I know I have two different Gold Labels available around here. Maybe that could engender some discussion?

Is recommend Yamazaki 12. It's a gateway Japanese malt, relatively inexpensive, and accessible.

Is recommend Yamazaki 12. It's a gateway Japanese malt, relatively inexpensive, and accessible.

Due to the more scarce nature of Japanese malts in the US and the general drift in this thread towards those same whiskies, how about we just call August Japanese Whisky month? Suites me fine, I just popped a Nikka from the Barrel last night and I have a few others I'm ready to try as well :)

Due to the more scarce nature of Japanese malts in the US and the general drift in this thread towards those same whiskies, how about we just call August Japanese Whisky month? Suites me fine, I just popped a Nikka from the Barrel last night and I have a few others I'm ready to try as well :)
Works great for me. I figured Whiskies from Asia/Indian Subcontinent would provide a little more variety, but I always welcome an excuse to dig into a Japanese malt.

Black Velvet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19076[/ATTACH]

:lol: I'm in on the BV!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.