1 quart bottle 100 proof spring 1913 unopened

StraightKentucky
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi to you all. I will try this again not to upset those who wield a big eraser LOL. I have an unopened bottle of Hellmans Old Crow circa 1913. It is 100 proof and in a quart bottle. The contents are above the shoulder and uncloudy. My recent research has led me to believe that this bottle may be the last of its kind anywhere. I've been able to find 4 bottles from 1917 of Hellmans Old Crow and no others anywhere. My intentions are to gather additional information from anyone willing to step forward with what they have to contribute, as well as any information regarding the value of this rare bottle. Not that I'm looking for a buyer on site. I'm very much aware of the rules and laws regarding private selling. The info, on this site is outdated badly, ebay no longer allows sales of spirits, the resale market is actually quite a viable option, one example is Bonhams Auction site. There are several more as well. That being said maybe this post will not meet the big eraser again. I do know the history of the court battles over the use of the Old Crow trademark as well as the outcome and the W.A. Gaines co. history. An example of our political system at its worst. And yes involved were the Supreme Court justices of the day. Another example of who you new, taking precedent. If any of you out there can shed some insight on this bottle of extremely rare pre prohibition American Whiskey your input would be greatly valued. Jeff

Not sure what you're asking here Jeff. The auction houses you mentioned are a better source for evaluation and no one can tell you if it's worth drinking. Only opening the bottle and sampling it will tell you that.

The title of this thread reads like an auction house listing. Welcome aboard Jeff and good luck with that.

HEY! I'm confused and need help BADLY! Last person I knew who drank Old Crow was my Dad, and he died in 1980. PLUS, he only drank it with Diet Coke. "Son, there's no other way to drink it. There's no other way TO drink it." Maybe we should ask him what it is worth.

Dad? It's me . . .

The info, on this site is outdated badly,

Really??? :rolleyes:

seems odd you would seek out answers here then.

This has got me thinking.....I have an unopened bottle of Jim Beam White from 2012....should I put in on Bonhams Auction Site? Think I can put my kids through college with it??:grin:

pre-pro.com is probably a good place to look for more information, or the LA Whiskey society folks.

It sounds like you want to sell it, not drink it- thus the reaction of this forum. If that's the case, you probably should contact Bonhams and do so. The 'market' in pre-prohibition whiskey isn't very liquid (grin) so you'll do better with an auction than trying to solicit a private transaction.

BUT if you do crack it open definitely tell us about it in the Tasting forum...

The way I look at it, you have the chance to make at most a few hundred bucks in the legal auction market (after deduction of commission), or, open and taste it slowly with good friends over some years, capturing a once-in-a-lifetime chance to taste literally something our great grandparents would have known. How many things can you physically drink or eat from over 100 years ago? Whiskey is just about the only one.

No brainer.

Gary

P.S. If you do the straightbourbon thing, pass on some taste notes to us, will ya?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!