Abraham Bowman #9-Cider finished bourbon

VAGentleman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The next version of Abraham Bowman has been released. It is a 100 proof, non-chill filtered bourbon. It is 9 year old bourbon that has been aged for 6 months in Apple Cider barrels from Distillery Lane Cider Works. The barrels originally held Bowman bourbon before being sent to Distillery Lane. There were 2 barrels of this and I was told it was low yield, so this may only be released in Virginia. I picked up a bottle and will try it later today and add some tasting notes.

Next will be Apple Pie-finished Bourbon....?

Followed by Hot Dog-finished Bourbon....?

Then Fried Chicken-finished Bourbon...?

I can hardly wait! :smiley_acbt:

Haha. I don't know, I'll give them credit for trying different things and pushing the envelope. Their track record so far has been pretty good in my book. We'll see, the proof is in the taste

Haha. I don't know, I'll give them credit for trying different things and pushing the envelope. Their track record so far has been pretty good in my book. We'll see, the proof is in the taste

Agreed. They've done pretty well with their finished bourbons, so far. And , two barrels shouldn't take anything away from the regular release whiskies they offer. This one sounds intriguing, and I look forward to hearing your tasting notes.

OK these are first impressions only, I'll have to spend some more time with it but overall this is pretty good. The nose has vanilla with some sweetness in it. The taste starts with caramel and spice with some heat. That fades away and leaves a nice sweet (but not too sweet) and fruity finish that lingers for awhile. The cider definitely doesn't overpower anything, just softens it at the end, if that makes any sense.

The cider definitely doesn't overpower anything, just softens it at the end, if that makes any sense.

I felt their Gingerbread Beer finished bourbon did the same thing. Not too much gingerbread but got a little bit on the finish. It kind of softened it so I know what you mean.

I did notice that once my bottle (Gingerbread) had been open with only a little left in it for a while - it really started to pick up the gingerbread taste. Not sure if the cider will do the same.

Glad I picked up a backup of the 12 year port finished AB. That is good stuff. Sounds like this new one won't even be 'generally' available like the other AB releases.

Then Fried Chicken-finished Bourbon...?

Nooowwww..that's what I'm talking about!! Winner winner chicken bourbon. .:yum:

Nooowwww..that's what I'm talking about!! Winner winner chicken bourbon. .:yum:

Actually I'd trade all of the other possibilities for BACON-Bourbon!!!! :drinking: That might just be a winner! Kidding?

For me the Gingerbread AB was all nose and little to no palate. Is this cider experiment a similar outcome? Sounds like there is more sweetness and fruit on the finish but who knows if that is from the cider. Would need some of the same bourbon unfinished to really say how much difference it made. One of the shortcomings of these "experiments", no baseline for comparison!

The John J is 10 years old and Bowman Brothers 7 years so those could be a decent comparison as its the same juice at different ages. Of course with single barrels its always tough to say. Pretty sure the sweetness and fruitiness is from the cider as its totally different from the JJ and Bowman Brothers.

The John J is 10 years old and Bowman Brothers 7 years so those could be a decent comparison as its the same juice at different ages. Of course with single barrels its always tough to say. Pretty sure the sweetness and fruitiness is from the cider as its totally different from the JJ and Bowman Brothers.

As I posted on the ASB/Sharkjump thread, I like the John J (the 100 proof SB) and the Bowman Bros (90 proof SmB). Both are "traditional" bourbons while the Abraham Bowman releases are "experiments" using the underlying distillate found in the traditionals, and I've liked the added layers of complexity in them, too, so far. The latter offerings, of course, are for when I really want something different, not for regular sipping. Still, one can compare either the JJ or the BB to one of the experiments to see how, at least somewhat, the finishing has affected them.

I'm going to have to stop by the distillery and pick up a bottle of this cider finish (unless I see one first in a store closer to me). I get a hint of a candy apply flavor in BT offerings, anyway, so I'm predisposed to like a cider finish. In short, this one may be really easy to compare with other Sazerac/BT offerings, at least for me.

Thanks for making the run to the distillery and for talking to Mr. Prewitt about it.

Actually I'd trade all of the other possibilities for BACON-Bourbon!!!! :drinking: That might just be a winner! Kidding?

I tried some Bacon-infused bourbon (JB white), at a local burger joint. It was a salty atrocity. (Good Burgers though)

I finished off my first bottle and still think its a good bourbon. It has a nice spicy beginning in a classic bourbon taste then softens and finishes with a long fruity sweet finish. Kind of subdued but complex and different at the same time

To follow up on some of the info provided already, I spoke to Bowman about this release earlier this week. Yes, they only had 2 barrels. Sold most through distillery, but they are sold out there. Some allocations (not much and no exact number) went to VA only. Should be hitting right about now.

Thank you, orbnobruob. I intend on watching for it since I didn't make it to the distillery.

Welcome to SB, BTW. If you post on the "New to StraightBourbon.com" thread, some others will also say "Hi." This is a great bunch of persons with a wide range and even wider knowledge (well some of us) of bourbon and related spirits. Hope to see you around.

• 1 month later...

I was able to snag a couple of bottles in VA and I really like his release. It has the typical Bowman nose and taste then moves to a really nice sweet smooth finish. It's in the finish that the cider really comes through with a sweet apple flavor. The cider is much more visible than the gingerbread was on the gingerbread finished Bowman.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.