Foreign Whisky of the Month - 08/2014: Black Vlevet

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Scott and Joe were both in for it, apparently Scott is a big fan of it, so let's hear what everyone has to say about the Foreign Whisky of the Month, BLACK VELVET.

Personally my first experience with it was when I was 15 at a summer trip with a high school friend. We went to some resort with his family and his father carried around what he called his "attitude adjustment", some mixed drink including BV in a small insulated thermos of sorts. We then of course tried to make our own when the parents were gone one evening.

Can one really have had the full experience until they have tried the new Black Velvet Toasted Caramel??? I think not!

I will depend on the reviews from others before deciding to pass on the entire line...

The 8 y/o reserve is actually very good. It would be amazing at barrel strength, or, hell, even at 90 proof.

Hey O, leave an ounce out of that pint, and send to Johnny.

I didn't feel like bourbon last night so I hit up the BV instead while breeze shooting with the neighbors.

Not offensive, not challenging. Some light caramel and vanilla notes in there. Its a normal 80 proof Canadian blend and with a 3 year age statement on it, it isn't awful overall.

Thanks much to Christian for playing along with my suggestion.

Very light, very sweet, hugely popular low cost Canadian that mixes well with just about anything, especially company. Not a contemplative dram but who wants to spend all their time contemplating.

Oh I wouldn't say terrible, rather its not special but a generic really isn't intended to be special.

My parents drank Canadian Club and always considered Black Velvet as a "step up" for guests. But that was 40+ years ago....

Black Velvet has always had a special place in my heart. My dad always had a bottle in the cabinet, and it was his "special occasion" go to. So, I usually have one around. I've always liked the Black and Gold label. Gives it a certain no-nonsense upscale brand image.

Also, It's hard to argue with a brand that has had the selection of gorgeous spokeswomen as BV. :D. Christie Brinkley, Cheryl Tiegs, Cybill Shepherd, Kelly Emberg, and the new gal Tami Donaldson. Saaaamokin'.....:D. Some folks like their foreign whisky posing with a pretty glass...I prefer BV's strategy of posing the whisky with a pretty girl...:lol:

That said, it's a typical Canadian whiskey. Sweetish, mild, and with a healthy dose of caramel. But , there's a bit of bite to BV that makes it a little more interesting than most. Nothing to write home about when drinking neat, but more than suitable as a mixer. I will seek out the 8 yr based on Josh's positive comments on it, though. I do look forward to drinking the next 200ml of it straight from the bottle...:D

I hadn't had this before so I picked some up standard Black Velvet. Ethanol is dominant in both the nose and the taste. Under the ethanol I taste and smell apples, vanilla, and honey. For how much it touts its smoothness, it seems to be pretty harsh for 80 proof.

I think it's biggest problem is its youth. If the extra age of the eight year old mellows down those ethanol notes and helps the flavor that's already here, I could see this being enjoyable for someone who is interested in a lighter, fruity whiskey.

...It's hard to argue with a brand that has had the selection of gorgeous spokeswomen as BV. :D. Christie Brinkley, Cheryl Tiegs, Cybill Shepherd, Kelly Emberg, and the new gal Tami Donaldson. Saaaamokin'.....:D.

Joe, You forgot about Telly Savalas, Larry Hagman and George Burns appearing in ads for it too. And though I've never had it, if those ladies endorsed it, so am I :grin:.

Danfield's 21 years is the "all grown up" version of Black Velvet.

Df21 is distilled and bottled at the BV facility in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada; The label is owned by IB, Williams and Church.

This expression possesses all the desired characteristics of a fine Canadian sipping whisky - the nose is terrific - rye floral notes, baking spices, wet cedar and wildberries. The mouthfeel is creamy.

The baking spices translate from the nose to the palate - nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, some mild heat/black pepper followed by ginger/citrus sourness which are offset by toffee and caramel. There is a nice balance to this whisky. The finish is dry and clean and leaves you wanting one more.

A very nice, easy sipping whisky. This is what I like to give as a gift for birthdays...at least there'll be one good bottle in the house;)

Well dang, guess I'll have to buy a bottle. Funny, I don't think I've spent less than $80 on any of my last few bottles of whisky, $8.50 seems like a steal ;)

Buy two just in case you like it.

Good idea, otherwise I might miss out on it... it is on allocation, right?

Worst case I can always marinate with it. I used to use only Makers Mark for my steak marinade, this would be much cheaper overall ;)

I have a fifth of BV that I can't stand. It's harsh and medicinal with little to no flavor. It's cheap, and I will only ever finish my bottle by mixing it or cooking with it.

YMMV of course, I just find it...less than memorable.

A friend of mine was a bar-back, back in the 90s at a local college bar, and they use to take black velvet and poor it in the empty Crown Royal bottles. Of course this is illegal but...... No one ever caught on to it. I have to say that I would take the black velvet eight-year-old over the standard Crown Royal.

I have a friend who grew up near Bay City, Michigan. She once told me that Black Velvet and grape soda was the drink of choice for her friends as a teen.

We used to drink mostly Canadian, and Black Velvet was one that we had. A good mixer, caramel and vanilla, nothing over-powering.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.