Newest Dewar ads

squire
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone else seen the new Dewar ads featuring the cooper shop craftsmen? Much, much better than those barroom things.

Yup. It sure caught my eye. It's my wife's basic scotch. Made me want to try it. Almost.

I'm still trying to get the thought of mixing Southern Comfort and JD out of my head (viz. the "What's SC?" thread). Hadn't thought of that for years. Think maybe some of my wife's Dewars will do it. We'll see in a minute.

I'm not a scotch person or even an Irish whisky person (although I did drink a couple bottles of Cooley's Michael Collins Single malt while it was readily available which means before Beam bought Cooley's). But, my wife loves Lagavulin 16 and also keeps Dewars on hand. The Dewars has been around awhile (like, years) because she's been sharing bourbons with me since I showed her bourbon and straight whiskeys make better cocktails than scotch and also can be consumed neat. I can't recall ever drinking Dewars before.

That's to explain why these notes are NOT to be relied upon: I know doodly squat about scotch.

Two ounce pour neat. Good legs. First whiff is caramel/toffee with only a slight alcohol bloom. First sip presents the expected grassy/malty taste, but missing is any hint whatsoever of peat (not a surprise) or smoke (a surprise given that the barrels are supposedly toasted - not charred, remember, only bourbon barrels are charred - prior to filling). Mouth feel is slightly oily and chewy, kind of like a generic 4 year 100 proof. It has no sharp edges - think wheated vs. high rye. Finish loses the grassy/malty taste leaving a slight toffee. It's now been a few minutes since my last sip. How come I'm thinking of cigarettes? I never smoked them. Maybe it's a tobacco-like ester floating around in there, but it doesn't remind me of pipes or cigars, of which I consumed more than my fair share before I realized I was mortal. Another sip - yup, definitely something cigaretty. Maybe I should have said "leafy". Oh, well. Done now. I think that a little Bernheim will do just fine while I finish up the dishes.

Anybody else notice that the cooper in the ad looks REALLY young? Or, is it just me . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.