BT Experimental Collection

bigmzungu
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was told by my local store that they were notified they will be receiving BT Experimental Collection tomorrow. I was told they would hold one for me. The only other info they had today was it will be around $50. Anyone know what it may be or have any thoughts on whether it is worth the purchase?

Edited by bigmzungu

I've tasted them all from Day 1 and they are hit and miss for sure. They are called "Experimental Collection" for a reason. Rare doesn't mean good.

Hopefully at the end of this 5-10 year run or whatever it is they'll have something mighty fine to put out regularly. In the meantime, I'll just let others help determine which one it will be.

Hopefully at the end of this 5-10 year run or whatever it is they'll have something mighty fine to put out regularly. In the meantime, I'll just let others help determine which one it will be.

I have some that had the different stave seasoning/drying times. Isn't that what the new CEHT release is going to be? Could they be related?

This summary mirrors my feelings on the series. BT does well enough without having me pay for their R+D.

I have some that had the different stave seasoning/drying times. Isn't that what the new CEHT release is going to be? Could they be related?

Certainly seems similar. The extended stave bottle was pretty good but it was also 15yo whiskey. I doubt the CEHT will be anywhere close to that.

I've tasted them all from Day 1 and they are hit and miss for sure. They are called "Experimental Collection" for a reason. Rare doesn't mean good.

Have any of these experiments resulted in the distillery starting to put bourbon up to age for a new product based on the experiment? You would think that if one of these was really "mind blowing" they'd be barreling that experiment for future regular sale.

Have any of these experiments resulted in the distillery starting to put bourbon up to age for a new product based on the experiment? You would think that if one of these was really "mind blowing" they'd be barreling that experiment for future regular sale.

The upcoming CEHT bottle might be one that was based on this process. The ones they did with different barrel entry proofs they found to conveniently match what they are already doing as I recall.

It isn't really clear what is in these bottling's in the 8 years they have been doing it. Not sure when they first started using the small "experimental" still for example and are not experiments done with the standard mashbill coming off the main still.

They have done several double barrel styles and ones using French oak or wine barrels over the years but I haven't seen anything show up like that on the shelf in a standard brand unless you count the Bowman double wood.

The upcoming CEHT bottle might be one that was based on this process. The ones they did with different barrel entry proofs they found to conveniently match what they are already doing as I recall.

It isn't really clear what is in these bottling's in the 8 years they have been doing it. Not sure when they first started using the small "experimental" still for example and are not experiments done with the standard mashbill coming off the main still.

They have done several double barrel styles and ones using French oak or wine barrels over the years but I haven't seen anything show up like that on the shelf in a standard brand unless you count the Bowman double wood.

The CHET and the Bowman I suppose we would consider "one offs." This all seems like a lot of work to not have something show up on the back end as a new regular product. Either that or it's an exercise in marketing. Not that I have a problem with either, good for them for finding a market for this stuff.

Never seen the allure of these, I have one on hand that was gifted to me by my daughter, the one made with rice, when I found out how much she paid for it, I told her thanks for the thought, but dont ever waste your money on these again.

Never seen the allure of these, I have one on hand that was gifted to me by my daughter, the one made with rice, when I found out how much she paid for it, I told her thanks for the thought, but dont ever waste your money on these again.

Can understand why you might tell friends and family that when it comes to gifts but there are certainly a few I would buy again despite the high price. Admittedly the rice bourbon isn't one of them.

But he 19yo in the giant French oak cask from 2012 was well worth it to me as was the 1991 "rediscovered" barrel from 2011. The 15yo Extended Stave Drying time barrel from 2013 was also quite good too and I liked the normal drying time version as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.