Diageo Special Releases 2014

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well,

It's that time of year for us to all complain about how Diageo's smoking the crack pipe again:

http://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2014/09/diageo-special-releases-2014/

Yet another huge shout out to ChainWhip for cajoling me into dropping the $499 I spent on last year's Brora 35 release, because as of this year I am officially priced out of the market. I'm hoping I'll end up finding the Caol Ila 30 on sale this year. Honestly, the description of the Lagavulin 12 doesn't sound all that complimentary, either.

Gotta admire these descriptions. Hints of pretty, dainty things, I particularly liked "it is warming without water". Why hell yes it is, anyone from 8 to 80 will tell you something that's half alcohol tastes "warming without water".

I've got one, "redolent of ripoff".

I mostly am concerned because I think this year's Caol Ila 30 release will be the crowd favorite, and it's going to drive up the market on older Caol Ila Independent bottlings that I've been able to acquire at or below MSRP previously. I've been contacted by a number of SBers who have quietly done the same thing. As it stands right now, they are the only game in town for folks who love older Islays. Well, except for 80s Bowmores that no one seems to want.

Being a whippersnapper means I'll occasionally pony up more than I probably should to try a rare whisky (once in a lifetime opportunity cost), but these prices are hilariously high. It is to Buffalo Trace's credit that they haven't yet adopted Diageo's strategy of capturing profit that originally went to the secondary market for BTAC/VW.

At US $1.60-1.65 to 1 Pound Sterling, that's some pricy stuff not including shipping, insurance, and taxes - at least for me. Sometimes I'm happy I never developed a taste for single malts or the special scotch blends. I'm sure I'm missing some fine whisky, but . . . Which gets me wondering about those 80s Bowmores you mentioned. Are they a good entry choice for an old dog thinking about learning some new tricks?

At US $1.60-1.65 to 1 Pound Sterling, that's some pricy stuff not including shipping, insurance, and taxes - at least for me. Sometimes I'm happy I never developed a taste for single malts or the special scotch blends. I'm sure I'm missing some fine whisky, but . . . Which gets me wondering about those 80s Bowmores you mentioned. Are they a good entry choice for an old dog thinking about learning some new tricks?

I was surprised to see that when last year's releases came stateside, the only thing that changed in the price was the currency, i.e. what was £750 in Europe was $750 here. Still out of my pay grade by a long shot but a much better deal here than on the other side of the pond. I seriously could not care less about whisky that retails in 4 digits.

1980s Bowmore apparently tastes like a candy called Parma Violets. A few people appear to enjoy it, but a lot don't. I would probably try a glass at Jack Rose prior to jumping on that train. If you really want something older that is peated, I would suggest cross referencing some older IBs or OBs of Ardmore or BenRiach over at whisky fun or whisky advocate. Frankly, there's absolutely no reason to start with older single malts. There's a ton of amazing stuff ranging from NAS to higher teens in age that can all be had for less than $100. Single Malt is generally polarizing in terms of palate, so why spend hundreds of dollars on something you may hate?

Thanks, Eric. Happened to mention (w/o attribution) your candy comment on Bowmore to an in-law who likes scotch. He has an old bottle. He agrees and said I really ought to taste his before buying any. He also has a few blends that he said he'd walk me through - only fair since I've been plying him with bourbons for years.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
spelling, of course

Thanks, Eric. Happened to mention (w/o attribution) your candy comment on Bowmore to an in-law who likes scotch. He has an old bottle. He agrees and said I really ought to taste his before buying any. He also has a few blends that he said he'd walk me through - only fair since I've been plying him with bourbons for years.
That's awesome man. Let me know what you think. I know some people really like it.

FYI for those interested in unpeated caol ila who can ship liquor, hit me up with a PM. I know a couple websites you should peruse.

I was surprised to see that when last year's releases came stateside, the only thing that changed in the price was the currency, i.e. what was £750 in Europe was $750 here. Still out of my pay grade by a long shot but a much better deal here than on the other side of the pond. I seriously could not care less about whisky that retails in 4 digits.

I'd be ok with that happening this year. That'd actually be great for a few of the lower priced releases - might be able to grab one or two beyond the Lag.

Edited by Dolph Lundgren

Diageo is nuts to sell an NAS Clynelish for *that* price. I wish I had money so I could go out and buy the few remaining 30 year old Broras out there. 1200 pounds is ridiculous!

Diageo is nuts to sell an NAS Clynelish for *that* price. I wish I had money so I could go out and buy the few remaining 30 year old Broras out there. 1200 pounds is ridiculous!
In the current market I would more characterize them as amoral profiteers. Frankly, I'm amazed the bourbon industry hasn't followed suit.

At any rate, I have high hopes of finding that Caol Ila 30 on sale. That's a lot of bottles.

Pricing is often a tricky thing - I think Diageo is following the aftermarket prices closely and are just taking the meat off the bones so that their shareholders are profiting (vs. flippers).

Apparently they think the market can bear these price increases and I am inclined to agree with them. I also think most of us are not the market they're looking for.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.