What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2014

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A case of old label WT Rye.

fdsdf sd srmsadfd sda . . . . sorry, drooled on my keyboard a little there! Nicely done LC! That is a sharp looking box too!

Passed on WFE 8yr rye a few times (it's just sitting on shelves out here). Am I crazy? I have the 4yr and 6yr, both are very good. I am just not sure about dropping $80 on the 8 year.

I've liked the 4 and the 6, but WFE pricing has gotten out of control. They're trying to sell the 6 year old stuff for $80 here.

I'm assuming this is LDI rye, is it labeled IN? If so, I'd advise you to go with an Old Scout Rye, the store picks can be had for around $50 and are typically 8 years old. Basically the same stuff without the Willet price.

I've liked the 4 and the 6, but WFE pricing has gotten out of control. They're trying to sell the 6 year old stuff for $80 here.

I'm assuming this is LDI rye, is it labeled IN? If so, I'd advise you to go with an Old Scout Rye, the store picks can be had for around $50 and are typically 8 years old. Basically the same stuff without the Willet price.

Picked up my first bottle of Rittenhouse BIB today - will probably sample it tomorrow evening. Passed on a bottle of Handy Saz for $139 - probably a good price for it but still tough for me to pay over $100 on a bottle

Picked up my first bottle of Rittenhouse BIB today - will probably sample it tomorrow evening. Passed on a bottle of Handy Saz for $139 - probably a good price for it but still tough for me to pay over $100 on a bottle

That is a bit steep, but I would probably pay it. I know the masses haven't declared this year's Handy a winner, but I love it. I'll take it over ER17 any day.

I tried some DSP 1 Ritt BIB recently, so I went and bought the last half case of DSP 354 the local store had. The DSP 1 is thin and just doesn't have that Ritt profile I like so much.

I tried some DSP 1 Ritt BIB recently, so I went and bought the last half case of DSP 354 the local store had. The DSP 1 is thin and just doesn't have that Ritt profile I like so much.

Agree with this assessment. DSP 1 is open on my bar for cocktails(works very nicely actually) but I don't drink it neat like I did the 354.

Willett 6yr Rye. 1 Bottle. Also tasted tested a store labeled SAOS 8yr Bourbon, tasted rye on the finish. I'll have to pick up the SAOS Rye to compare. Thanks for the advice.

A few new play toys just arrived on the front porch from K&L thanks to a kind assist from a fellow SBer.

post-8493-14489822079361_thumb.jpg

Took a chance on a couple of craft whiskeys including an "almost" 4yo Corbin Cash Merced Rye and a 4yo Low Gap Wheat Whiskey distilled at Germain Robin and aged in used bourbon barrels (Jeff JPS wheated 17 or 18 yo bourbon that you may recall were supposed to be from S-W, not that it likely makes much difference where they are from) as well as the real curiosities, the two Taos Lightning single cask MGP/LDI 17yo ryes that spent the last few years aging in the dry air of New Mexico.

Oh, and an Oban 18yo for good measure is also in the picture.

post-8493-14489822107819_thumb.jpg

Perhaps the most striking thing was how different the two bottles appeared. Cask 15 is a good bit darker than the other, Cask 16. I believe they are NCF but the darker one is crystal clear while the lighter on has a cloudy appearance with swirls of misty white material in it. Hopefully it is just because it is NCF but odd that only one is doing it. Hopefully it will settle down with time as it begins to warm up.

post-8493-14489822079597_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822079822_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822108057_thumb.jpg

I am sure everyone will be relieved to hear that the cloudy Taos Lightning bottle above did seem to calm down a bit overnight! Still doesn't look quite as clear as its sibling but much better today.

Passed on WFE 8yr rye a few times (it's just sitting on shelves out here). Am I crazy? I have the 4yr and 6yr, both are very good. I am just not sure about dropping $80 on the 8 year.

Just noticed the Rye section lol. Hey I have both 6 and 8year. I haven't done a SBS in a while, but I remember the 6yr being more sweet. I did enjoy the 8 more. The 6yr was $60 here and 8yr was $80 and I definitely think the extra $20 is worth it for the 8, although it hurts thinking I paid that much for both.

No regrets buying either but not certain I'd do it again at those prices haha.

Snagged the green label Beam rye today. It's good stuff. $17.99 @ Total Wine in MN. I will definitely get more. Great price point for sure.

Just noticed the Rye section lol. Hey I have both 6 and 8year. I haven't done a SBS in a while, but I remember the 6yr being more sweet. I did enjoy the 8 more. The 6yr was $60 here and 8yr was $80 and I definitely think the extra $20 is worth it for the 8, although it hurts thinking I paid that much for both.

No regrets buying either but not certain I'd do it again at those prices haha.

SAOS BP ryes are here for $50 for the 7 year and $58 for the 8 year. both come from the same place.....

SAOS BP ryes are here for $50 for the 7 year and $58 for the 8 year. both come from the same place.....

Heading south in few weeks. I hope to find some SAOA BP rye while in KY. Unfortunately, can't find any Indiana made BP rye under the SAOS label in the Hoosier State.

I picked up a WP and Ritt tonight so I wouldn't have to dig into the bunker. WP @ 80, which is very good here...

I picked up a WP and Ritt tonight so I wouldn't have to dig into the bunker. WP @ 80, which is very good here...

I tried my bottle of WP last night and thought it was great neat on it's own. I will open the Ritt today to see what I think. Gotta be honest.. that WP is the best Rye I've had to date. I liked it more than my Rendezvous, which is saying a lot. That is some high quality Rye IMO. The spearmint sweetness, the cotton candy, the toffee, and the beautiful spice easing out of the finish. Truly enjoyed it.. enough to refill my glass twice. This bottle isn't going to last very long.

I tried my bottle of WP last night and thought it was great neat on it's own. I will open the Ritt today to see what I think. Gotta be honest.. that WP is the best Rye I've had to date. I liked it more than my Rendezvous, which is saying a lot. That is some high quality Rye IMO. The spearmint sweetness, the cotton candy, the toffee, and the beautiful spice easing out of the finish. Truly enjoyed it.. enough to refill my glass twice. This bottle isn't going to last very long.

Very well said, and I couldn't agree more. They pissed a lot of folks off initially with the BS marketing smoke screen, but the product delivers time after time. At the end of the day, that's what matters most!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!