Things Tour Guides say: Willet

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Why would Drew take the time to explain anything on SB after all of the negative comments and criticism over the past years? . . . .

Perhaps to show those critics are mistaken? There's a captive audience here and that should be good for some new customer sales.

Bill I sent Jay Erisman an email regarding his article in Whisky Advocate but however he responds I believe Chuck summed it up very well.

I was on-tour at Willett 4 days ago and can vouch that the majority of the warehouses looked to be in rather poor shape from the outside. The one we went into was nearly identical to Heaven Hill, just smaller. Our guide did say quite clearly that they were in the process of refurbishing the warehouses one-by-one. This is conjecture, but that refurbishing might support the notion that they're not all full.

A number that I have come across a couple of times while searching around regarding their rickhouse capacity, is ~ 5,000 barrels each.

At four storage floors in height and three barrel tall racks per floor 5000 sounds about right.

At four storage floors in height and three barrel tall racks per floor 5000 sounds about right.

5,000 is about the exact number my tour guide said. She emphasized that one of the single warehouses at Heaven Hill is at 50,000 capacity and that alone is more storage than Willett currently has on their entire property.

Thanks for chiming in, S. Have you been able to confirm your assertion that they all are empty, as well?

Nothing definitive as yet Joe. Assuming 1.5 have been filled with their own distillates that leaves six unaccounted for. Of course the Commonwealth taxes aging whisky so I suppose I could check with them and do the math but that would be like work and I'm busy doing retired stuff.

5,000 is about the exact number my tour guide said. She emphasized that one of the single warehouses at Heaven Hill is at 50,000 capacity and that alone is more storage than Willett currently has on their entire property.

While touring Willett in June, we were also told that the entire rickhouse capacity on their property would fit into one single rickhouse at Heaven Hill.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.