Smooth Ambler Contradiction

ramblinman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So, of course after carping about the price of a bottle, I had a chance to sample this at a bar and really liked it. Enough that I tracked down a bottle and bought one. I know, I'm worthless and weak. But it is an intriguing pour. I get a Rye/Wheat/Rye experience. Rye spice on the nose and sip. Then the sweet wheater notes develop mid palate. The finish is spice and some barrel tannins. Very enjoyable blend and portends well for SA's wheated bourbon down the road as a stand alone product.

What city? I have a bottle waiting for me at The Liquor Company in Charleston, but I forgot to ask the price.

In Charleston at the Liquor Company ...

I tried this the other night. Too much cereal grains/white dog elements for me to be a buyer. May appeal to those who like some of those characteristics in their whiskey.

• 2 weeks later...

Its $65 here in KC.

I bought a bottle and the few tastes I've had I got more of the rye qualities than the wheater but really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to letting it open up a bit.

Tried it last night- it was very smooth, definitely had a buttery, sweet bourbon flavor to it. I got some of the rye, but also some odd estery flavors that indicate a young whiskey. Not bad, but I thought the regular SAOS 7 was a much better value and the SAOS 8 1B a far better value at $40.

Is the 2y whiskey the wheated in this blend?

Just so as described here.

I haven't managed to track down a bottle so far even though it has been reported in town but I confess I haven't tried that hard either. Not sure I have decided what I think is a good price point although if I see one I will probably get it just because...

Edited by tanstaafl2

I thought I had read it here earlier, I must have skipped over it when I was looking for it.

Thanks

I open my bottle and tried it, it's a good blend. I think some people will really enjoy it. The youngness of the wheated whiskey is a little too strong for me, but it is enjoyable. Glad I was able to pick one up. I do love what SA is doing.

I tried this the other night. Too much cereal grains/white dog elements for me to be a buyer. May appeal to those who like some of those characteristics in their whiskey.

Have to admit this makes me want to try before I buy. Not a fan of cereal grain and new make flavor profiles. Thanks, doubleblank!

• 3 weeks later...

Batch 2 has been sitting on my bar for about two months now. I had a pour last night. I think the time did it well. Very easy to drink.

Passed on this, it seemed too expensive for what it is, I think around $55 + tax. I can think of other things in that price range I'd rather have. I'll try it at a bar if I see it

• 4 weeks later...

I like SA. I had the rye and I believe 6 yr old bourbon. Enjoyed both. Must keep my eyes open for Contradiction.

Oops I did it again! I frequently say I'm not going to buy something and low and behold, for one reason or another it winds up coming home with me. So, I did buy the Contradiction and you can definitely taste the young whiskey coming through. Not my preferred flavor profile, so I'll be drinking this one on ice or in cocktails. I much prefer the private barrel selections.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried it for first time at GBS Mid Winter Nights Meetup , and now sipping again tonight from a bottle that some kind person left...And, I must admit, this is outstanding whiskey! My favorite expression, by far, from SA. Expertly mingled, and definitely an example where the whiskey as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Very, very, well done. I am really diving fully into a gorgeous cocoa undertone on it that is not too unlike the burnt corner of the brownie pan note I get, and adore, from OGD114.

Tried it for first time at GBS Mid Winter Nights Meetup , and now sipping again tonight from a bottle that some kind person left...And, I must admit, this is outstanding whiskey! My favorite expression, by far, from SA. Expertly mingled, and definitely an example where the whiskey as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Very, very, well done. I am really diving fully into a gorgeous cocoa undertone on it that is not too unlike the burnt corner of the brownie pan note I get, and adore, from OGD114.

Joe, glad someone else finds redeeming qualities. My positive post around page 3 was getting lonely:grin: just had another pour myself and still found it enjoyable.

• 3 months later...

Enjoying some Contradiction myself tonight and it's OK; a little high on the price +$50...just enjoy others more for less Pesos...

• 4 weeks later...
Enjoying some Contradiction myself tonight and it's OK; a little high on the price +$50...just enjoy others more for less Pesos...

Went back to my open bottle and I am starting to really enjoy this very much...will get another bottle next week.

• 11 months later...

Just curious if anyone has been comparing the batches. Have they been getting better the higher the batch number?

• 4 months later...

Smooth Ambler is tough to find in NY, and expensive.   I really like the 10 year old.  I found a bottle when I was traveling out of state and picked it up.  I wonder how it will compare to the 10 year?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.