Laphroaig's changing lineup

VT Mike
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last week Laphroaig announced that they will be dropping the 18 year and bringing back the 15 year along with a new 21 year and a very limited 32 year. The distillery is celebrating their 200th anniversary in 2015 and they have hinted at some other special bottlings to mark the occasion, but no details yet.

The previous 15 year was chill filtered, and when they replaced it with the 18 year in 2009 they went without chill filtering. Let's hope the new 15 year is non-chill filtered.

I'm a Laphroaig fanatic and may be in the minority when I say I prefer the 18 year to the 15 year (the proof really helps). I doubt they'll increase the proof of the 15 year. There is also a 23 year that is being released in Germany for the time being and may hit stateside later this fall/winter. I really love the 25 year but it tends to linger on the shelves. I wonder if some of the adjustments are occurring as a form of re-branding rather than due to shortages. After they increased the price on the 18s to $150, they sat. And now that they're back down to $100 they still sit. I still want to try them all!

I'm a Laphroaig fanatic and may be in the minority when I say I prefer the 18 year to the 15 year (the proof really helps). I doubt they'll increase the proof of the 15 year. There is also a 23 year that is being released in Germany for the time being and may hit stateside later this fall/winter. I really love the 25 year but it tends to linger on the shelves. I wonder if some of the adjustments are occurring as a form of re-branding rather than due to shortages. After they increased the price on the 18s to $150, they sat. And now that they're back down to $100 they still sit. I still want to try them all!

I actually prefer the 18 to 15 now too. Originally it was the opposite. I guess tastes change over time.

You misunderstood my earlier statement. My assumption (and that's all it was) was that the 15 was dropped due to shortages and the older stuff (18) could be bottled as such and charge a premium. Kind of like EC18 to 20...21...23...

Again all this is speculation on my part and in no way is meant as fact. It also seems that the additional information later in this thread would make all this moot.

I read a press release awhile back that Laphroaig would be releaseing a limited edition 15 year to celebrate their 200th anniversary in 2015, and that they would release approximately 60,000 bottles of the LE 15 year. The quantity made me hope that the price would be reasonable (also hoping for cask strength, but that is pretty doubtful). I have not read anything about the 18 year being discontinued, and the fact that they JUST revamped the packaging last year makes me believe this isn't true. So unless someone actually has a press release announcing a permanent change in lineup, I'm treating this as speculation. At this point I think it would be more likely to see the 15 released at the 18 year old price point, with a commensurate bump in the price of the 18 year to justify the price of the 15.

If I hear reliable news either way, I'll be stopping off at my honey hole where the 18 is still less than $70. It would be a shame for it to take a Talisker-esque leap in price, since Laphroaig 18 is an absolute favorite of mine.

That came from Simon Brooking (brand ambassador) during an FOL tasting I attended in NH sept 20th. Just the part about the 15 cominf back and the 18 year going away. The 21 and 32 hadn't been anounced at that point.

That came from Simon Brooking (brand ambassador) during an FOL tasting I attended in NH sept 20th. Just the part about the 15 cominf back and the 18 year going away. The 21 and 32 hadn't been anounced at that point.
Well that was confirmation enough to prompt me to email the distillery directly. I'll post the reply here if/when they get back to me.

Please let us know what you hear. Because Laphroaig 18 is probably my favorite expression. And if it is being taken off of the shelf or being given a price increase, I had better stock up! The lowest in my area is around $65-70---which I think is a steal.

I love this malt at 18 years. Binny's just dropped the price to $62.99. Brought one bottle home today and have 2 more on-hold at another store for next week.

Regardless whether a discontinue or price increase is coming, this screams no-brainer right now.

Good news y'all. Looks like Laphroaig 18 isn't going anywhere. I'm not concerned about the 'pride of place' comment, but take that however you wish.

Dear Eric,

Thank you for your email.

No we will not be discontinuing the 18 year old, but the 15 year old will get pride of place in 2015.

Kindest regards,

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, 2 October, 2014 05:26

To: *****

Subject: Contact Form Enquiry from Laphroaig

Contact form from Laphroaig

FirstName: Eric

Surname: **********

Email: ************

Hello,

I recently heard a second hand rumor that Laphroaig would be discontinuing your 18 year bottling. I assume this rumor is related to the limited edition 15 year bottling you are releasing in 2015, but I just wanted to check with the distillery for clarification to hopefully nip this rumor in the bud. For what it is worth, Laphroaig 18 is in my top 3 favorite whiskies of all time, so I certainly am one FOL hoping this isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Cheers,

Eric

Laphroaig 10 is my go-to Islay. However, not too long ago I splurged and bought a bottle of Laphroaig 18 and simply wasn't impressed with it.

I look forward to the 15's reintroduction!

The 18 is not the peat bomb that the 10 is, but it really has a lot going on besides. The 10 and 10 cask strength definitely scratch my peat itch, and I'm excited to try the 15 next year. Frankly I'm way more excited by that than any of the usual fall bourbon releases. I've started to wonder if Laphroaig's continued quality has something to do with the fact that they get a steady supply of fresh maker's mark barrels from Beam.

I'm guessing they're marking down the 18yr to introduce the (limited) 15yr and probably re-brand the 18yr. Glad they're not discontinuing the 18yr.

I'm guessing they're marking down the 18yr to introduce the (limited) 15yr and probably re-brand the 18yr. Glad they're not discontinuing the 18yr.

My local liquor store just raised the price of the 18 from $62.99 to $79.99....argh! I should have bought another bottle at that price. $79.99 now seems like the lowest price in the Twin Cities.

My local liquor store just raised the price of the 18 from $62.99 to $79.99....argh! I should have bought another bottle at that price. $79.99 now seems like the lowest price in the Twin Cities.

Seems like all of the Scotch over 15 years old is going that route. Every time they restock they add $20 or more to the price!

start saving your pennies gents, I have from a good source that in 2015, there will be a 21yr available. Limited release, one time only.

Future is looking bright for fans.

B

Based on the price differential between laphroaig 18 ($63-$80, all the way up to $150 in some stores) and laphroaig 25 ($500), I wonder where a 21 might fall? Definitely wondering the same thing about the 15 already.

Based on the price differential between laphroaig 18 ($63-$80, all the way up to $150 in some stores) and laphroaig 25 ($500), I wonder where a 21 might fall? Definitely wondering the same thing about the 15 already.

Whoa, which store of yours had it listed for $62.99 in the first place? As another Minneapolis resident, I don't think I've ever seen it that cheap before.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.