Canadian Club Chairman's Select 100% Rye

WhiskyToWhiskey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just sampling a current bottling and this is even better than the initial release: seemingly older, a touch darker, very well-knit with a touch less of the waxy signature of a genuine straight whiskey. Somehow it contrives to present the CC house toffee-like smoothness even though presumably still from Alberta Distillers (label is unchanged). Crazy good value, super-soft on the palate with a rich plenitude of tangs and tastes.

Gary

Is this going to be in their regular lineup going forward? I wasn't sure if it was a one-off. I'm glad I got up to Canada to snag a bottle - couldn't agree more on the value. Hoping it becomes a mainstay for them (maybe popular enough that they send some down south to save me the bridge fare of visiting Windsor!)

I think it's a permanent, the stores carry plenty since day 1.

Gary

• 7 months later...

Decided to revisit this tonight...glad I did.

A 750ml for $25, also noticed a 1L for $40... Wish they had pints of this stuff...

I won't bother with tasting notes, But it's the best Canadian stuff I have tried so far. I usually buy Bourbon bottles but the selection here for that is very limited. I may have to invest in Rye instead.

Next purchase will be Wisers 18year and Wisers Legacy...The 18year is $50 I think.

• 5 months later...

I think this just landed here in Northern California, based on an e-mail from K&L. The green label says "Canadian Club 100% Rye Imported Canadian Whisky", nothing about Chairman's Reserve. Has anyone else seen this south of the border? It has a seemingly very fair price of $17.99.

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I think this just landed here in Northern California, based on an e-mail from K&L. The green label says "Canadian Club 100% Rye Imported Canadian Whisky", nothing about Chairman's Reserve. Has anyone else seen this south of the border? It has a seemingly very fair price of $17.99.

I've not, but hope it is the same as the Chairman's Select (which was similarly priced if I recall, although only available in Canada).  That was definitely one of the better sub-$20 bottles I'd purchased in the last couple of years!  I'd definitely take a flyer on one and let us know what you think (assuming your a fan of ryes)!

16 hours ago, darylld911 said:

I've not, but hope it is the same as the Chairman's Select (which was similarly priced if I recall, although only available in Canada).  That was definitely one of the better sub-$20 bottles I'd purchased in the last couple of years!  I'd definitely take a flyer on one and let us know what you think (assuming your a fan of ryes)!

I hope it is the same as well, since the Chairman's Select has received solid reviews here. I'm buying a bottle - I'll report back!

On 6/15/2016 at 4:44 PM, Kpiz said:

I was down at the Party Source in Kentucky a couple weeks ago, they had it on the shelf for a steal, $13.49.  I'm sure it's the same bottle, nothing about Chairman's Reserve on it.  It's exciting to see a 100% rye (really any rye) for a price like that.

It hit my area a couple weeks ago and I picked up a bottle for 18 and change.  I was surprised to see the short rectangular bottle when all of the pictures that I saw were of the tall, slim bottle.  Repackaged for the US?

I have not opened it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just opened my bottle. This stuff has some gnarly acetone fumes at first (immediately following the swirl...I always swirl) but once that blows off there is ample cinnamon and some new shoe leather. The mouthfeel is very peculiar, it's so similar to water that I keep thinking I drank the wrong glass. Palate is a bit harsh for 80 proof and I can't really pick out specific flavors but the general flavor profile reminds me of young craft whiskey. This is peculiar stuff, and I'm guessing it is not the same as the Chairman's Select that is being sold in the great white north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Just opened my bottle. This stuff has some gnarly acetone fumes at first (immediately following the swirl...I always swirl) but once that blows off there is ample cinnamon and some new shoe leather. The mouthfeel is very peculiar, it's so similar to water that I keep thinking I drank the wrong glass. Palate is a bit harsh for 80 proof and I can't really pick out specific flavors but the general flavor profile reminds me of young craft whiskey. This is peculiar stuff, and I'm guessing it is not the same as the Chairman's Select that is being sold in the great white north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.  That doesn't sound promising.  I will look to open mine up in the next month and report back.  BTW, I have been seeing this around more.

• 3 months later...

I grabbed one of these for $17 in Kentucky, and did a blind SBS with the Chairman's Select 100% Rye.  I thought they were extremely close, and certainly differences could be that one has been open for close to 2 yrs (although over half full).  Went looking for the answer, and found someone had posted a picture of both bottles to CC's facebook page and asked them what the difference was.  Their response:

The only difference between the two is the bottle. The most recent bottle you bought is the American bottle, and the one you bought in 2015 is the Canadian bottle. Both contain delicious Canadian Club 100% Rye.

So, mystery solved.  Same stuff (or at least not discernible difference that CC is owning up to).  

18 hours ago, GaryT said:

I grabbed one of these for $17 in Kentucky, and did a blind SBS with the Chairman's Select 100% Rye.  I thought they were extremely close, and certainly differences could be that one has been open for close to 2 yrs (although over half full).  Went looking for the answer, and found someone had posted a picture of both bottles to CC's facebook page and asked them what the difference was.  Their response:

The only difference between the two is the bottle. The most recent bottle you bought is the American bottle, and the one you bought in 2015 is the Canadian bottle. Both contain delicious Canadian Club 100% Rye.

So, mystery solved.  Same stuff (or at least not discernible difference that CC is owning up to).  

Thanks, Gary, that's good to know. I haven't touched my bottle since I first opened it, so perhaps it's time to revisit it.

On 7/1/2016 at 10:02 AM, meadeweber said:

Wow.  That doesn't sound promising.  I will look to open mine up in the next month and report back.  BTW, I have been seeing this around more.

Meadeweber, did you ever get a chance to open your bottle?

52 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Meadeweber, did you ever get a chance to open your bottle?

Yes.  The first pour was very disappointing.  Very thin and bitter.  I was surprised.  

I have been drinking other Canadians that I have open recently so I have ignored it.  I will give it another try soon and let you know if it has improved.

Edited by meadeweber

I tried the CC 100% rye again tonight. While I like it a little more than I did before, my overall conclusions are similar. I get some nice vanilla sweetness up front, which turns artificial after a few seconds, and then things really start falling apart in the finish when it turns into an offputting raw alcohol note (like I get sometimes from very young rum).

It's strange that this whiskey is so polarizing. Reading back through the comments again, there doesn't seem to be anyone on the fence about it. To be fair, though, most folks seem to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 0:50 AM, Kpiz said:

I tried the CC 100% rye again tonight. While I like it a little more than I did before, my overall conclusions are similar. I get some nice vanilla sweetness up front, which turns artificial after a few seconds, and then things really start falling apart in the finish when it turns into an offputting raw alcohol note (like I get sometimes from very young rum).

It's strange that this whiskey is so polarizing. Reading back through the comments again, there doesn't seem to be anyone on the fence about it. To be fair, though, most folks seem to enjoy it.

I tried it again last night.  Still do not like it.  There is not much flavor there.  I think you have it right with the "raw alcohol note".

• 3 months later...

Acetone on the nose upon initially opening the bottle.  This quickly subsides leaving a sweet fruit bloom with a bit of vanilla.  Has a continued sweet and fruit forward influence (predominant to spice) throughout, with nice oily viscosity that give it a good, but thinnish, mouthfeel and long, clinging legs on the glass.  Moderate alcohol is also present on the taste, which continues with the fruit and bit of toffee on a decently moderate finish.  Not complex, but a good and fair easy sipping whisky, with a decent rye bite throughout to balance things out.

This punches pretty solid for a abv 80 proofer, and I like it.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.