Bunnahabhain Toiteach

Clavius
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I love the Islay single malts. So far I've had - Lagavulin 16; Laphroaig 10, 18 and Quarter Cask; Ardbeg 10, Uigeadail and Corryvreckan; and Bowmore 12.

Laphroaig 10 is my favorite with Lagavulin 16 a close second. But whenever I purchase an Islay I go with Laphroaig 10 since, for the money, I think it is the best bargain.

The only thing I know about Bunnahabhain is that it's on Islay and I'm interested in trying an Islay I haven't had before. I saw a bottle of Toiteach for about $65 earlier today and it intrigued me. Any thoughts on this one? Is there something else I should look into?

Thanks.

I haven't tried the Toiteach but have had a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12. If it hadn't said Islay on the bottle, I wouldn't have know it from the taste. It was a very nice whisky, but it had no typical Islay peat - at all.

I believe standard Bunnahabhain is unpeated. The Toiteach is their peated bottling, which is atypical.

I've not had it, but it seems well regarded. It's definitely on my "to try" list on account of it being heavily peated. I've considered buying IBs of heavily peated Bunnahabhain, but they are getting fairly expensive and I figure Toiteach is a safer bet.

I tried this at a bar a few months ago and both my wife and I really enjoyed it. I can't comment much past that, we had a few other drams that night and were eating smoked meats with them so we did not exactly approach it with a clean palate. However, we both enjoyed it enough that she asked me to buy one when I saw it available (so far I have not seen it).

As Sutton mentioned, Toiteach is the peated version of Bunnahabhain, anything else from them will be unpeated. Same goes for Bruichladdich, they have a few peated expressions, but most of what they put out is unpeated. I tasted the Toiteach at the distillery in 2012. I was good, but my tasting notes were pretty brief - "Floral up front, then into peat smoke. Slow, mellow, long lasting peat."

If you're looking for other heavily peated single malts to try, its a pretty short list:

Caol Ila and Kilchoman from Islay (Kilchoman is a newcomer, they just started distilling at the end of 2004, so everything they put out is still kind of young, but quite good nonetheless)

Longrow from Campbeltown (heavily peated variant of Springbank)

Ledaig from the isle of Mull (peated version of Tobermory)

Talisker from the isle of Skye

Appreciate all the input. But I ultimately went with some bourbon instead of this scotch. However, I will keep all this info in mind for the next time I purchase another Islay.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.