WT 101 8YO Chill Filltered?

Vadertime
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After a Sunday afternoon of enjoying drams from my cabinet, I noticed that WT101 8YO bottled in 2003/4 has a much richer mouthfeel than pretty much everything in my collection (no stated unchill filtered juice). Even over juice that is of nearly the same proof or with a 50% older AS. I was curious if the WT was infact not chill flitered. A bit of googling led me to the below somewhat historic thread, where JVW himself said that WT101 (Based on first hand info) was not chill filtered. Is there any reason to believe otherwise.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?168-Chill-Filtering&

I may have to go pick up all the vintage WT I can if this infact true.

Another interesting tidbt in the thread- early high proof Pappy was not chill filtered, but now seems to be.

I remember reading a Jim Rutledge conversation transcript once that stated chill filtering was required for bourbon below 86 proof. Was this the reason WT had an 86.8 proof line for a time (I have a rather nice collection of these bottled in the mid 90s)?

Edit: Rutledge- http://bourbondork.blogspot.tw/2011/11/q-2-with-four-roses-master-distiller.html

Edited by Vadertime

• 2 months later...

I asked Jimmy Russell about this several years ago at a Bourbon Sampler in Bardstown. He told me the only thing they had which was not chill filtered was the new Rare Breed ( the one after WT-03-RB).

Not sure where I stand as to chill-filtration. It works well for George Dickel. One thing I am sure about is that I sure miss the age statements, not only WT but on all bourbon.

Interesting what Jimmy Russell told you. It seems we have conflicting information, or maybe there were some changes over time and people are informed thusly?

Happy Holidays!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.