Low Gap Malted "Bavarian Hard Wheat" Whiskey

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Another oddity that may have been around for awhile but that I noticed for the first time a couple of days ago. I was initially moderately intrigued since they claim to make their own whiskey rather than sourcing it and I had no idea what "Bavarian Hard Wheat" suggested. Nor did I recall seeing a "malted" wheat whiskey before. The fact this was apparently from Germain-Robin and that they were using an old Germain-Robin still was mildly intriguing as well. They apparently started a couple of years ago with several white dogs including this wheated version.

But at a lowish 88 proof, small barrel aging and only 2 years of aging the price of $65 (!!!!) was more than enough to keep me from taking a blind shot on it. To further add to the crap factor is the attempt to make it sound like it is something because it was aged in used Pappy barrels. So when did PVW start using small barrels? Now there is a revelation!

The Caskers website claims they use three different barrels: new American oak casks, 350-liter French Limousin oak barrels that were previously used to age brandy, and used American oak barrels that were previously used to mature Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon. I presume the new oak are the baby barrels.

post-8493-14489821631746_thumb.jpg

Don't suppose anybody has tried it?

post-8493-14489821631277_thumb.jpg

post-8493-1448982163152_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a convoluted process to create a high profit whisky rather than a better one. Lipstick on a pig.

Sounds like a convoluted process to create a high profit whisky rather than a better one. Lipstick on a pig.

Undoubtedly a possibility but unfortunately only one way to know for sure and it didn't quite engender $65 worth of curiosity for me!

For now...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.