Anybody SBS Barterhouse and Rhetoric?

RWBadley
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was out last night and tasted for the third time Barterhouse. I've tasted Rhetoric twice. Never both by side- but my impression is they are both pretty good and remind me of some of the dusty bourbons I have picked up in the past.

Given the rat race is on for BTAC and soon Pappy- this is an easy find for me at $79 for the BH and bit more for the Rhetoric. Tasting them I notice some pretty good character that I am not seeing in the current crop of BT, HH, WT... or anything else really

Thinking of picking up one or the other as there are several places in town with both on sale. Which would be your pick?

Cheers,

RW

Haven't had the Rhetoric yet but love me some Barterhouse. If you think about it: a 20 year bourbon for $79 is a great deal. I'm thinking about picking up a second bottle of it myself before it disappears off the shelves. I've heard positive reviews on the Rhetoric but just haven't opened my bottle yet. Sorry - I know this didn't answer your question...

Never did a SBS, but remember liking Rhetoric a little better (maybe that's why it is pricier). I can do a SBS tonight and let you know what I think.

Never did a SBS, but remember liking Rhetoric a little better (maybe that's why it is pricier). I can do a SBS tonight and let you know what I think.

Very good, let me know what you think

Yes, my win goes to the Barterhouse. Little more youthful, Rhetoric was old and tired, too dry and over Oaked.

I do a SBS every other week or so and I'm split 50/50. Some days I like Barterhouse better, some Rhetoric.

But both are delicious IMHO.

I have a Barterhouse open, but I think I just might crack open my Rhetoric tonight. It's not doing anyone any good down in my basement... Once the initial negativity died down, and once people could get past the rhetoric (sorry, couldn't help it) of Diageo, I think people have come to realize that this is pretty darn good bourbon, at a pretty decent price. It is certainly plentiful in my area and seems to be sitting now, but that is neither here nor there for me. Since I bought a couple of Barterhouse at $79, I have passed up additional bottles at $69.

I prefer the Rhetoric to the Barterhouse, but Mrs Tot prefers the Barterhouse.

Barterhouse has a very strong character and bold (brash?) flavor profile, where the Rhetoric is more balanced. I don't think it's wrong to prefer either boldness or balance.

Old Blowhard remains my fave.

They're expensive and we don't like Diageo for a lot of very good reasons, but none of the Orphan Barrel series are bad bourbons. Either your palate responds to them or not. Mine does, but the remaining Barterhouse bottles are for Mrs Tot.

I've done a sbs and Rhetoric wins every time.

Same for me. Well, I only did the SBS once, but Rhetoric won. It had a better mouth feel and fuller flavors.

Nose

BH: Fruity with a touch of smoke, almost like a cherry cola (reminds me of Bulleit 10)

R: Darker than BH, more oak, vanilla, dark chocolate, coffee

Taste

BH: thin mouthfeel and somewhat bitter, berries, oak, dried fruits, smallest touch of vanilla, small amount of black pepper

R: some spice, black pepper, dark chocolate, nutty?, a little hot, thin as well

Finish

BH: short, fades very quickly with oak and a hint of berries

R: longer than BH, spice fades into oak and bitter chocolate

Barterhouse is similar to Bulleit 10 and Rhetoric reminds me of the Elijah Craig profile. Both fall short on mouthfeel (thin) and both were fairly bitter. I’d give the nose to Barterhouse, since it was bright, fruity, and seemed to have a lot going on. The taste to Barterhouse as well, it seemed to dance around with fruity flavors where the Rhetoric seemed a little flat. Finally, the finish goes to Rhetoric. It was much longer and faded into a dark chocolate which was nice.

2-1 Barterhouse.

I did a three way with OBH, BH, and Rhetoric.

Initially, I preferred Rhetoric slightly, but on the second pour, I switched to Barterhouse.

I like all three, though OBH is a bit overpriced in my opinion.

Round one last evening went to Rhetoric. That was with a newly opened bottle of Rhetoric, and a couple of month opened bottle of Barterhouse. Not by a mile, but I did prefer the Rhetoric. Will give it another go some other time soon.

Thanks for the great feedback. It sounds like both are well regarded against each other, as it appears split 50/50.

I may spring for the Barterhouse first, and see here it goes from there.

Cheers,

RW

Rhetoric edges out for me. I have to be in the right mood to go for an aged bourbon. So if I am going to go for that kind of pour, I'm expecting something mellow, with lots layers of flavor, and body.

Both are good, but the rhetoric has just a bit more in those areas than Barterhouse. In either case, they are once a week/once every other week pours for me.

I enjoy all three of the OBP releases. My favorite is Old Blowhard. I enjoy both Barterhouse and Rhetoric. Too me Barterhouse has a gentlemanly quality too it... Sweet, nicely balanced, easy finish, and no burn or bite. Rhetoric has a little more oak and spiciness in the finish. I'm a fan.

Just opened my bottle of Rhetoric. I definitely prefer it over Barterhouse. It took me two weeks to air out Barterhouse, as it was pretty much varnish and musty oak when I opened it.

Rhetoric seems a lot younger by comparison, with a great balance of oak and spice. Will see how it mellows out, but I'm wagering it's good enough to bunker.

Just opened my bottle of Rhetoric. I definitely prefer it over Barterhouse. It took me two weeks to air out Barterhouse, as it was pretty much varnish and musty oak when I opened it.

Rhetoric seems a lot younger by comparison, with a great balance of oak and spice. Will see how it mellows out, but I'm wagering it's good enough to bunker.

I am such a bourbon slut.... I ended up with both sneaking into my cart.

Initial impressions are good. They remind me of prior days when I could get the Pappys and Hirsch. Aged and flavorful with distinctive character. Not horrible at current prices but they are stretching toward the upper limits on value...

Rhetoric seems younger and a bit more feisty. Barterhouse is smoother and has quite a depth to it. Rhetoric finish I prefer, but both are good enough I don't feel too bad about the cost, considering no Pappys for me this year. I think I prefer these actually at the usual price point the Pappy comes in at.

Cheers,

RW

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.