What's the Bourbon that got you into Bourbon?

SSBourbon1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As I sit here and review the posts and have just finished having a drink of my new favorite bourbon, EW 23 (I will be posting something about this soon just have to think about it a little and taste test some more), I began to think about what drink got me into liking bourbon and getting more interested in it. For me, my first bourbon was Makers Mark. I still enjoy it today, although I enjoy others more especially since I've grown to appreciate the intricacies of bourbon since then. But the Makers Mark was the bourbon that hooked me on the adventure and now quest to find the hard to find bourbons we all talk about. So, I ask you to think about this and share what the bourbon was that got you hooked and let us know drink.gif

Knob Creek. Strangely, I haven't liked any glass of it since the first nearly as much, but I still enjoy it. It got me started trying minis of everything I could find, and it wasn't too long before I found this place. Now, the collection keeps growing, and KC isn't even in the top half of my list... but without it I may not have tried anythign else at all.

Steve

For me it was Jim Beam White. puke.gif

My first adventure into premium bourbons was with Maker's Mark (I imagine you'll hear many similar stories!) Needless to say, it was all uphill from there! grin.gif

I didn't so much catch the bourbon bug from tasting, but conscious choice. I began working part-time in a liquor store about 18 months ago, and brought home several half-pints one evening (Old Charter 8 and 10, Old Forester, Evan Williams green and black, et al) and tasted them over the course of a few evenings, just to be able to converse with customers a bit more knowledgably. I guess W.L. Weller's Special Reserve 7yo was the first one that really caught my attention -- and it still remains one of my favorite flavor-to-value drinks. There is still a bunch of the harder-to-find bourbons -- though the selection here in Tennessee is better than many places, according to what I read here -- I haven't tried yet, but will eventually. It's not a bad hobby, I've discovered.

I would have to say that the first truly delicious bourbon I ever had was Wild Turkey 8-year old 101 proof, back in about 1968. A year or so later, I encountered Very Old Fitzgerald from Stitzel-Weller. A little later than that (say, 1970-1973), I often enjoyed Old Forester, Ancient Ancient Age 10-year old, and Henry McKenna.

So, I've been enjoying a wide variety of good (and sometimes not so good) bourbon for about 35 years. drink.gif

Tim

To the point, what really made me go out and look for premium bottlings, Makers Mark. And it has been nothing but fun ever since!

It was Knob Creek for me, too. (Jim Beam white from my

youth doesn't count).

A few years ago, I tried KC on a whim. I was a long-time

Scotch drinker -- a bit bored with the current crop of

malts, and annoyed with the ever increasing prices, I

bought a bottle. It was something new, and the store was

promoting it.

Glad I bought it.

Cheers,

-AJ

Jim Beam White in my youth also....then a long Scotch hiatus...with Old Forester bringing me back to bourbon and Woodford Reserve opening the window to the world of premiums.....last night I had Weller Centennial which I really like...Stagg, Van Winkle Rye, Hirsch16, EWSB's, AAA10yr,ER17,Rare Breed,Bookers,ETL,Blanton's, etc, etc...Saz is a great rye...so many great choices it would be very difficult to pick a favorite...

Makers Mark.

I drank that for a couple years, then i found this site. ooo.gif I've been on a joy ride since that day laugh.gif

Blanton's. My initial bottle of Maker's Mark only made it into cherry coke and Boilermakers, so it really doesnt count.

TomC

Bellows Club Buorbon , was the first , but it was a list of WT 101 8yr, Weller Centenial , Ezra Brooks 101 7 yr, Evan Williams 101 7yr , that got me deep in to enjoying a good pour .... Now it is Van Winlke 107 10 yr that has me full loyality,,, but I will go after the special pours , ..Stagg , and have a list of the common pours to try , Knob Creek ,Bookers , Bakers.. etc. etc. . I find that I like the higher proofs , and for the most part drink them straight if on the rare chance I get one that I do not like .... it get used as a mixer ,,,, I have yet to find a high proof bourbon that cann't be used as a mixer and made drinkable ,,,, on the other hand some of the lower shelf lower proofs I use to try ,,, puke.gif I some time wonder if it will harm the sink and drains .... grin.gif

Bill G.

I have to repeat the Knob Creek refrain.....it caught my attention as different and good! It got me off the Makers Mark/JD standards. But as many others have said, it doesn't get my attention anymore. I believe its a combination of my taste preferences have changed AND the KC flavor profile has also evolved.

DoubleBlank

Evan Williams 7yr

I suppose this would be the first bourbon I had. . . back in high school shocked.gif, but Blantons is till the one that sent me on my way to being an enthusiast.

TomC

The progression is Beam's Choice in college (it's what my Dad had), then Old Grand Dad, then trying to move up market with Maker's Mark, then more flavor from Knob Creek, then the Regans book (Old Rip Van Winkle, oh my gosh!), then SB.com and Whoa, Nellie!

An unknown bourbon at a friend's house some 10 years ago led me to buy my first bottle, likely JB white. Wild Turkey (4yr, 80 proof) was next, and although likeable, it still did not steal away my preference for single malts (ouch, did I say that?)

It was finally Old Rip Van Winkle that won my heart 6 years ago. It pushed me over the edge and I'm afraid I'm now fully converted. And while I flirt with many other brands (with a return occasionally to scottish malts), the Van Winkle lineup still owns most of my affection.

toast.gif

After the occassional pours of Jim Beam White, I became slightly more interested in Bourbon after having visited the Labrot & Graham folks and buying a bottle of Woodford Reserve.

What did it for me was last years WhiskyFest, where I tasted a number of Julian Van Winkle's products. Although it was late in the evening, and I'd had plenty of fine Single Malt Scotch, the Van Winkle line-up made me pay attention to Bourbon in a big way. I've been a convert since then! bowdown.giftoast.gifsmile.gif

Bob

Maker's Mark. I think it was the distillery tour several years ago that got me wanting to explore bourbon. Of course I went right out and bought a bottle of Maker's, but soon to follow was WT80, then 101, then Woodford Reserve, then Evan Wiliams Single Barrel, then... drink.gifyum.gifdrink.gifyum.gif

I was working at this little bar and grill and the owner asked me if i would like to participate in a bourbon tasting his alcohol rep was setting up.I was kind of known for my taste of good booze. It turned out to be a Small Batch Bourbon setup,KC,Basil,Baker'sand the big dog Booker's. She took us through the entire drinking process(t and gave us a brief history lesson.I have to say it really piqued my bourbon intrest. I started trying different bourbons and found the ones I really liked and the ones I merely tolerate. Luckily I was able to go to many different tastings and even " The Great Whisk(e)y Debate".I got Fred Noe to sign a bottle of Booker's. I was a happy camper.All in all my bourbon quest has been a fantastic experience. I enjoy sharing a glass with a fellow bourbon fan and even making new ones.

• 6 months later...

It was a bottle of Jim Beam Bonded that I picked up Duty Free in Fiji.

A month or so later, I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve.

That was a year or so ago, and the journey since then trying different bourbons has been a real treat yum.gif

I'm not sure how I missed this post back when it was created, but no matter.

Jim Beam white label. I can't stand the stuff now, but it's what our parents all had in their liquor cabinets. lol.gif

For me it was David Nicholson 1843. I was a 7 and 7 drinker my freshman year in college and a fraternity brother with a bit of enlightenment shared a fifth with me when I couldn't find anyone to go to the liquor store for a football game one brisk saturday afternoon. I haven't wasted a dime on Seagrams 7 since. That was 1978. The first straight bourbon was WT101 and we didn't know that letting it touch your tastebuds was as enjoyable as I find it now. Oh the foolishness of youth.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.