Bruichladdich then and now

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guinness consolidated all of its operations in Ireland to a new facility in Dublin in 2013. When plans for the new Dublin brewery were first announced they were planning to keep the Waterford brewery running. The following is a quote from an Associated Press article from that time:

The new plan means that Diageo's only Irish brewing facility outside Dublin after 2013 will be a small plant in Waterford producing the secret-recipe "essence" extract that Diageo ships to its nearly 50 Guinness breweries worldwide.

Mmmmmm, makes me want to run right out and drink some Guinness.

• 2 months later...

I finally opened my 33 year Bruichladdich, here are my tasting notes:

The nose is expressive; wood, leather, dark stewed sherry fruits and a touch of dry spice. Putting a drop on the finger and letting it dry brings out coconut aromas and more complex spice notes. It’s full bodied, but not to the point of being clumsy. There’s a lovely evolution of flavors. Biscuits and Dundee Cake lead up front, followed by coconut and subtle tropical fruit in the background. A briny coastal quality comes through on the mid palate as well. It becomes more spice driven as it moves into the finish; cinnamon, teaberry and delicate mulling spices all do their part. It turns drier as it progresses and becomes more woody as the spice notes fade, but not to the point of being detrimental. Its character is dark and brooding, but graceful and complex too. The density of flavor is impressive for 40.9% abv, but I guess that is the difference between the alcohol level coming down through three decades of evaporation and a younger whisky that has just had water added to it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.