Which Water of Life did you Pass Up Today? Fall/Winter 2014

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

... I liked it enough to lay a few back.
You happen to have any tasting notes handy? I noticed some Rosebanks seem to be floral/parma violets (not a note that I love), yet others tend to be on the citrusy/lemon side of the equation. I love me some citrusy malts.

Macallan 30yo aged entirely in Sherry and possibly bottled back in the 90's. Sounded interesting!

post-8493-14489821782179_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately for $1999.99 I had to pass. If only they dropped one of those nines...

Behind it was the 30yo "Fine oak" which was also a mere $1999.99. Might well be the going price but no thanks to either of them.

LOL as soon as that jag I emailed about the Rosebank 21 answered my question about vintage, he bumped the price up $50. $350 . . . nope.

Not in person but shopping the web . . . passed up a Longrow 10 100 proof release, and a 2010 Glenkinchie 20 for $99 and $189-$199, respectively.

Am particularly interested in the Glenkinchie 20 if anyone has any tasting notes. Trying to balance the medium to heavily peated bottlings in my collection out a bit with unpeated stuff.

Not in person but shopping the web . . . passed up a Longrow 10 100 proof release, and a 2010 Glenkinchie 20 for $99 and $189-$199, respectively.

Am particularly interested in the Glenkinchie 20 if anyone has any tasting notes. Trying to balance the medium to heavily peated bottlings in my collection out a bit with unpeated stuff.

Haven't tried the Glenkinchie (I'm always tempted to say "Glen Kimchee" with that one) but I'm curious too.

That Longrow 10/100 is very "Sprinkbanky" (to quote an esteemed palate I know) - hardly any ash/smoke at all with surprisingly gentle peat.

15736949015_4f097ac62d_z.jpg

Macallan 30yo aged entirely in Sherry and possibly bottled back in the 90's. Sounded interesting!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19907[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately for $1999.99 I had to pass. If only they dropped one of those nines...

Behind it was the 30yo "Fine oak" which was also a mere $1999.99. Might well be the going price but no thanks to either of them.

That is an old bottling. Should go for $1500 at current prices, but I'm pretty sure it was a good bit less when it came out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19907[/ATTACH]

A local store had a pile of those going for $600 this time last year, due to an inventory deal the distributor gave them. I never bit the bullet because they weren't going anywhere, even at that price. One day I walked in an noticed all of them were gone...20+ bottles bought by one guy.

Passed up a Balvenie Tun 1509 batch #1 for $350. That makes the Tun 1401 seem downright reasonable at $250.

I'm still going back and forth on this one. My regular shop didn't receive any so I put in a request and if he gets it, I'll buy for the sake of my relationship with the store. Since it's allocated, not sure there's any left to distribute. However, I've passed it up at independent stores and Binnys so it seems that a lot of people have the same view that the price increase was a little extreme and the 1509 remains fairly available for now.

A local store had a pile of those going for $600 this time last year, due to an inventory deal the distributor gave them. I never bit the bullet because they weren't going anywhere, even at that price. One day I walked in an noticed all of them were gone...20+ bottles bought by one guy.

That's the older label and they go for big bucks on the secondary market. Whoever bought those probably auctioned all of them and made a killing.

Was in DC this week and stepped into a store that had the base scotch selection on the shelf I've seen. It was hard not to pull the trigger on some bottles that I don't see in TN such as Devil's punch bowl, Arbeg Auriverdes, and a many Japanese bottles.

Was in DC this week and stepped into a store that had the base scotch selection on the shelf I've seen. It was hard not to pull the trigger on some bottles that I don't see in TN such as Devil's punch bowl, Arbeg Auriverdes, and a many Japanese bottles.

Has typically been damned near impossible for me to not pull the trigger in those circumstances! I continue to bang on the local distributor for the Arran DPB III which they keep claiming is coming but so far no joy.

Has typically been damned near impossible for me to not pull the trigger in those circumstances! I continue to bang on the local distributor for the Arran DPB III which they keep claiming is coming but so far no joy.
One thing I find interesting about the DPB series is that it has largely been ignored by the "whisky geek" reviewers. I had a glass of DPB II at Jack Rose, and it was excellent (too bad it went up against 3 of the better pours I've had in my life). Maybe the excessive packaging is bothering them. I've noticed a few instances of folks like Ralfy stating Arran has a bit of a cask quality problem, and I think the wood in DPB II was really well integrated. I don't think $125ish is completely outlandish to pay for an age stated (if you dig a bit) cask strength edition that shows the best of what a young distillery is capable of, especially compared to a lot of bottles I've seen the same folks review. Oh well, more for me . . . Edited by garbanzobean

Passed on a Lagavulin Distiller's Edition. I'm still considering it, anyone tried the 2014 release?

Is Lagavulin Distiller's edition noticeably different from year to year? I passed on a 2010 release today.

Is Lagavulin Distiller's edition noticeably different from year to year? I passed on a 2010 release today.

While I think the profile is supposed to be similar from year to year the 2013 that I tried was reported to have a very heavy sherry component compared to past years (which I liked!) and seemed to get generally good reviews. Don't know about the 2010.

But I also tend to have a bias towards older whiskey as I think the older it is the less they are likely to have taken short cuts as the whisky boom depletes stocks so the older bottle might be intriguing.

While I think the profile is supposed to be similar from year to year the 2013 that I tried was reported to have a very heavy sherry component compared to past years (which I liked!) and seemed to get generally good reviews. Don't know about the 2010.

But I also tend to have a bias towards older whiskey as I think the older it is the less they are likely to have taken short cuts as the whisky boom depletes stocks so the older bottle might be intriguing.

• 2 weeks later...

Glen Spey 21 @ $190. These lesser known Diageo special releases really do become shelf turds around here. Figure its been where it is for awhile, so I'll get to it eventually . . .

Glen Spey 21 @ $190. These lesser known Diageo special releases really do become shelf turds around here. Figure its been where it is for awhile, so I'll get to it eventually . . .

Even the good stuff are shelf turds at the new prices. Several of the 2014 Diageo LEs are sitting around here, especially PE at upwards of $3300.

Even the good stuff are shelf turds at the new prices. Several of the 2014 Diageo LEs are sitting around here, especially PE at upwards of $3300.
Yeah, almost none of the more popular brands have gone anywhere. It's to the point now that stores don't even want them in inventory because they know they'll turn into dusties. At least in MD.

Hell, the DEs almost always end up nearly half off. The only Diageo special releases that I have seen sell well are Lagavulin 12 and the unpeated Caol Ila series. I think this whole thing is going to come to a head soon. Distributors are going to balk at taking inventory stores don't want. So maybe sanity will prevail eventually.

Passed on a lot of stuff (everything, technically), but I did see some Glengoyne 17 if anyone is interested. I've heard its better than the 18, and is discontinued.

Edit: cask strength kilchoman, cs sherry, cs sherry finish. All three bottled for Impex.

Edited by garbanzobean

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.