A few Bourbons with a high price, Is it worth it?

Mr. Bourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

bakers bourbon 7 - $55.00

basil haydens - $55.00

blantons - $66.00

bookers true barrel - $70.00

buffalo trace - $40.00

evan williams single barrel - $60.00

jim beam signature craft - $63.00

knob creek 9 year - $50.00

knob creek single barrel $60.00

makers mark 46 - $60.00

I have the a chance to try these at a local Canadian province. I currently cannot get any of these bottles on the island I live on.

Are these priced too high, Are any of these bottles worth the price listed?

bakers bourbon 7 - $55.00

basil haydens - $55.00

blantons - $66.00

bookers true barrel - $70.00

buffalo trace - $40.00

evan williams single barrel - $60.00

jim beam signature craft - $63.00

knob creek 9 year - $50.00

knob creek single barrel $60.00

makers mark 46 - $60.00

I have the a chance to try these at a local Canadian province. I currently cannot get any of these bottles on the island I live on.

Probably need a fellow Canadian to help judge the price in Canada. They are mostly high compared to the typical US price. Odd how some are priced a lot more and some not as much. The Blanton's price is not that much more than the average US price (maybe $55 or so) but the EWSB appears to be more than twice the price here.

Those are on par with Canadian prices. If you could hop over the border in the US, you would do much better.

If you were to buy them in Canada and want to know which ones will give you the most for your money: Booker's or Knob Creek Single Barrel are the best buys. Baker's and Blanton's is not too far off either.

Probably need a fellow Canadian to help judge the price in Canada. They are mostly high compared to the typical US price. Odd how some are priced a lot more and some not as much. The Blanton's price is not that much more than the average US price (maybe $55 or so) but the EWSB appears to be more than twice the price here.

Yes, I noticed that too when I looked up the US prices.

I also think that MM46 is most likely over priced. Even though I have not tried it yet, But is it woth the price over regular MM? The regular MM is $43.00 here. I'm, mostly looking to buy some higher proof Bourbons. I'm sick of sipping the same 90 proof ones around here :).

I'd mostly like to get my hands on the knob creek 9 year and buffalo trace.

Those are on par with Canadian prices. If you could hop over the border in the US, you would do much better.

If you were to buy them in Canada and want to know which ones will give you the most for your money: Booker's or Knob Creek Single Barrel are the best buys. Baker's and Blanton's is not too far off either.

The knob creek single barrel would be great also. And bakers looks interesting.

I'm sick of sipping the same 90 proof ones around here :).

with that statement, Id suggest the Booker's or the KCSB then. If too high proof for you, you can always add a bit of water. Booker's would be my first choice off that list anyway. Its a good $20-25 over KY prices though, but most on that list are anyway.

bakers bourbon 7 - $55.00 ($54.90)

basil haydens - $55.00 ($51.95)

blantons - $66.00 ($65)

bookers true barrel - $70.00 ($70.55)

buffalo trace - $40.00 ($40.95)

evan williams single barrel - $60.00 ($54.70)

jim beam signature craft - $63.00 (n/a)

knob creek 9 year - $50.00 ($46.95)

knob creek single barrel $60.00 ($54.90)

makers mark 46 - $60.00 ($49.85)

For reference I have listed the Ontario prices next to the prices you listed.

The vast majority of alcohol is much cheaper in the USA. Therefore, if you have the chance to go across the border do take advantage of your duty free allowance

Edited by portwood

Mr. B -

What Portwood said. I've followed his advice in the past on Canadian whiskies and not been disappointed. That said - in case you can't travel soon . . .

Based on what you posted shortly after you joined SB AND on my own biases, I'd get a Blanton's but, like TANSAAFL2 posted, I'd pass on the EWSB on price alone and get a Booker's or KCSB instead. I'd keep some water at hand for the Booker's or the KC BUT not add it unless I really needed to; indeed, some side sipping before or after a sip of whiskey works for me instead of diluting. Unless you know you like wheated bourbons, I'd pass on the MM46 until you can taste some before buying a whole bottle. Some persons find the MMs one dimensional. My preference is to get a wheat whiskey, like Bernheim's, instead, or even a wheated bourbon like Larceny which is a little rougher (and which I am drinking even as you read this unless it's two days later from when I posted:shocked:). Hope this helps.

Mr. B -

What Portwood said. I've followed his advice in the past on Canadian whiskies and not been disappointed. That said - in case you can't travel soon . . .

Based on what you posted shortly after you joined SB AND on my own biases, I'd get a Blanton's but, like TANSAAFL2 posted, I'd pass on the EWSB on price alone and get a Booker's or KCSB instead. I'd keep some water at hand for the Booker's or the KC BUT not add it unless I really needed to; indeed, some side sipping before or after a sip of whiskey works for me instead of diluting. Unless you know you like wheated bourbons, I'd pass on the MM46 until you can taste some before buying a whole bottle. Some persons find the MMs one dimensional. My preference is to get a wheat whiskey, like Bernheim's, instead, or even a wheated bourbon like Larceny which is a little rougher (and which I am drinking even as you read this unless it's two days later from when I posted:shocked:). Hope this helps.

Thanks for your tips.

And yes, The MM46 price in Canada is a bit crazy and I doubt it's worth that here.

Hopefully I can find some Bakers, Blantons and Bookers. Because I would buy all 3.

I will be posting pics of what I purchase on Friday this week. Hopefully some good finds...

In some places in the US (like Washington State where I live), prices have increased on most mid and upper shelf bourbons to the point where they are not far off from some of the prices you posted.

At the prices you listed, I'll echo some other comments and say that Baker's, Booker's, Blanton's, and Knob Creek Single Barrel are ones to target, and, they are priced not much higher than what I would pay here.

I think Basil Hayden is overpriced/underproofed at standard US prices, so my vote would be to avoid it.

Bookers and Blantons though, for the options you have are good quality and as other have said not really terrible as far as pricing goes.

So I went for a little trip and this is what I purchased.

Finally found some Buffalo Trace and I am pleased with it. The Rye comes out very nice in this one.

Bakers Beam is my first Jim Beam small batch purchase. I will try that one near Christmas time!

Also..Batch 90...Bottle #1???

IMG_20141115_143432.jpg

IMG_20141115_143418.jpg

Hmm, I just noticed it will show that same number on all the bottles.

Not quite sure what this means?

Edited by Mr. Bourbon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.