Evan Williams Red Label

kwshannon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 2 months later...

The Evan Williams Experience gift shop is selling this for $129.99. At that price point I have to assume that this is gift shop-only.

This was a release I was really excited about. Shouldn't be surprised or disappointed either, but yeah no. I read that it's a pretty unique pour and not as paint by numbers as you might expect but still.

It's also odd to me to use the Evan moniker for anything but budget pours but I guess it's not unheard of, e.g. EW23.

I remember visiting the Experience just before my flight home the day before Valentine's. I think that's when they just got it in. I was excited to see it since I've been hearing so much about it. But when I heard the price, that excitement turned to disappointment. It's sold only there. I did buy a William Heavenhill 15 year from them a while back, and it was awesome. But I drew the line with this. I mean, isn't the red label EW regularly produced for export?

• 1 year later...

On 2/27/2015 at 1:31 PM, amg said:
dcbt said:
Is there any reason this should be more than just a few dollars more than EC12? What am I missing?

Old news but EC12 has been replaced with ECSB, a blend of 8-12 year bourbons. At EWBE the guide indicated that they would have to triple the price of EC12 to keep it as a product. That tripled price puts it on par with the EWRL price.

On 2/28/2015 at 11:57 AM, R-Savage said:

Looks interesting. Hopefully it makes it up here to Alberta. Well. Here's to hopin.

Sounds like there are no plans to expand the market for EWRL.

I saw an EW12 red label at the EWE last august, & couldnt believe the price. It was almost laughable at over $100 (& of course disappointing). But the HH gift shops are pricey. A couple days earlier I saw ECBP at the Bardstown HH for $75, when a buddy had gotten a bottle at Binnys a couple weeks earlier for $56.

On 2/27/2015 at 2:42 PM, squire said:

Those high end Evans are just polishing the brass on the flag ship.

You are right.  I will stick to EWBIB.  It is just that good.

I had a tasting of the EW 12 Red Label this past weekend at the EWE.  It was good but not $120 good.  Wife and I both preferred the EWSB and picked up a bottle of that while there.

7 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I had a tasting of the EW 12 Red Label this past weekend at the EWE.  It was good but not $120 good.  Wife and I both preferred the EWSB and picked up a bottle of that while there.

CardsandBourbon, was that tasting part of the tour or did you have to pay extra for it?

The Red Label certainly intrigues me. I doubt that I would buy a bottle. As a Wild Turkey man, I would be more likely to drop a hundred plus on a bottle of Master's Keep or Decades. Regardless, I'd love to have a taste of it.

And as a Cardinals fan, I bet you love the red label.

Another poster seemed to indicate that the Evan Williams Red Label is cheaper overseas. I wonder if that is accurate.

It was part of the normal tour/tasting.  We had EW Black, EWSB and the Red Label.  With the higher proof of the Red Label (101) I expected more of a burn, which I got but to me it just didn't have as full of a flavor profile as I expected.  Yeah, with the Black & Red Label we were in Card's heaven. ;)

I had it last March so my memory is a bit faded on profile but I remember liking EWSB which I think was a 2008 better myself.  If you go for the tasting it is worth becoming a member of the Bardstown Whiskey Society and getting a few bucks off the tour and 10% off non whiskey merch if your into that sort of thing.

11 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Another poster seemed to indicate that the Evan Williams Red Label is cheaper overseas. I wonder if that is accurate.

Definitely accurate for Japan.

Used to go for about $25, though recently seems to be creeping up to $30 in many places here. I only just tried it for the first time last weekend, but at least for that first taste I think I prefer EC12. Needs more research!

I have a bottle of EWRL that was gifted to me by my wife. She picked it up while we were at the EWBE. Her justification for buying was that it's cheaper than a trip to Japan. Can't argue with that! :lol: I probably won't buy another, but it is very good.

On spirit alone EWRL is good but does not justify the price point. I liked it more than the EWSngleBrl and, at least on the tasting there at EWBE, I liked the EWRL more than ECSmlBtch. I bought a bottle of EWRL and plan to share it with friends. The story and experience will make up the price gap for me. I do not anticipate acquiring a second bottle of EWRL at the current price point.

I have a bottle of EC12 squirreled away. It will be interesting to try them side by side. Not apples to apples as the proofing is different (90 to 101) but interesting all the same. 

Edited by Matt2
I incorrectly said that EWRL had a 90 proof variant. Turns out I cannot read. I removed the offending text.

5 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

I have a bottle of EWRL that was gifted to me by my wife. She picked it up while we were at the EWBE. Her justification for buying was that it's cheaper than a trip to Japan. Can't argue with that! :lol: I probably won't buy another, but it is very good.

Nice. I'll use that logic to justify my purchase as well. 

I bought a few last year at the KBA. At the time, there was a chance they'd stop carrying it so I threw caution to the wind and bought three. There was no way to try one first and get it home so I bought three in the event I thought it was amazing. Of course it isn't and it's not worth the price. It is very good though and I scratched another itch I don't have to scratch again. I find it very different from EC12, likely due to the charcoal filtering. Smooooooth it is to use one of the most derided terms here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.