2014 Distillery of the year?

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No wrong answers here, but I have to lean BT. One, I've got more of their stuff in my cabinet than anyone else's. Two, the quality and range of the limited release stuff (even if one doesn't include the VW line) exceeds that of HH. PHC is wonderful, but almost as hard to find as the BTAC, and you've got a 5-1 advantage in different expressions. I'm a fan of the CEHT line. And for me, at least, the availability issue doesn't tilt towards HH. Obviously regional differences come into play, but I've never seen Larceny here in Wisconsin, none of the lower priced HHBIB type products show up here and I've finally just obtained my first bottle of ECBP (make more of that available and I might change my mind). Sure, ETL or ER10 may be temporarily hard to find, but it keeps on showing up.

I give BT a lot of respect for the variety of great products they produce, but I've stopped buying most of them. I can only take so many grassy toothpaste bottles of BT, and even my last RHF was a dud. They have serious quality issues at this time, even if I'd still say they are my favorite distillery when pressed. I can't consider them distiller of the year on a very down year for them.

Looking at my stash, I'll add a vote for HH. More of their bottles find their way into my cabinet than any other distillery. Aside from the occasional misfire, everything they turn out is solid and reasonably priced.

Second would be BT. Love their products and the innovation/experimentation going on there. Lack of availability is a big problem for them around here in everything but the lowest of the bottom shelf offerings, but I suppose that's a good problem to have on their end.

As I look around my garage drinking area I see FRSB, FRSmB, FRSmB 2014, FR local store select, HHBBiB, EWBiB, WT101. So it looks like Four Roses wins for me, and I guess I am known for being on that bandwagon. I enjoy the communications that they send out to their Mellow Moments members and the events that they have. The people at the gift shop and the office are always great to deal with. Their gift shop has great private selections available (usually). Jim is just an awesome person as everyone knows, I am reminded of the picture I saw with him signing bottles after his shoulder surgery when his arm was in a sling. Their two mash bills and 5 yeast strains I think offers them to put out some unique product. The tour of the distillery is enjoyable and the bottling facility is a great tour as well especially with the cows wandering around.

There you go - Four Roses

Best regards, Tony

No wrong answers here, but I have to lean BT. One, I've got more of their stuff in my cabinet than anyone else's. Two, the quality and range of the limited release stuff (even if one doesn't include the VW line) exceeds that of HH. PHC is wonderful, but almost as hard to find as the BTAC, and you've got a 5-1 advantage in different expressions. I'm a fan of the CEHT line. And for me, at least, the availability issue doesn't tilt towards HH. Obviously regional differences come into play, but I've never seen Larceny here in Wisconsin, none of the lower priced HHBIB type products show up here and I've finally just obtained my first bottle of ECBP (make more of that available and I might change my mind). Sure, ETL or ER10 may be temporarily hard to find, but it keeps on showing up.

I think Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill, and Four Roses all do certain things very well.

Buffalo Trace is currently the king of Limited Releases. That is really hard to dispute. I personally really enjoy Stagg Jr., the entire CEHT lineup that I've been able to try, and the BTAC is consistently excellent. The Van Winkle lineup doesn't really do it for me, but that seems to place me in the extreme minority. That being said, it is hard to argue with the fact that their regular expressions for mash bill #1 have slipped. Many old favorites have been discontinued or seem to be degraded severely in quality. ER10 used to be a favorite of mine, but every bottle I've tried since the beginning of 2013 has disappointed me. Buffalo Trace used to be the house bourbon, but the last bottle ended up in as braising liquid. Things seem better on the mash bill #2 side of the equation, with RHF, Blanton's, and ETL remaining relatively consistent in quality. I don't like BT wheaters so I'll leave that category to those who appreciate them. They get some points for creativity with the single oak project and experimental releases, but I try not to make it a habit to pay for someone else's R&D, at least not in such a blatant manner.

Four Roses is the king when it comes to a focused product line and consistent quality. I personally think their yellow label, small batch, and single barrel lines are all outstanding for the price, and all are generally available. Heck, even their Limited Editions have clockwork-like focus: A Single Barrel in the Spring, and a Small batch in the fall. I wish they shipped more of it to Maryland, but that is kind of a personal problem. Their private selections are far more diverse and interesting to me than any of the other distilleries mentioned. Assuming the people picking the barrel do their job correctly, one should expect a very different experience from Four Roses standard product lines. The fact that this selection process lets me geek out over various recipes and yeast strains is nice. The recent price increases in the private selection don't thrill me, but a fairly unique $70 barrel proof bourbon that you can actually walk into a store and buy doesn't exactly call for an all out boycott in the current market.

Heaven Hill, in contrast, is the champion of the low and mid range bourbons. Whereas we are seeing rolling blackouts and normal release quality plummet for Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill provides a diverse variety of outstanding pours at $30 all the way down to less than $10. If I was stuck drinking Larceny, EWSB, EC12, and HMcK10 BIB for the rest of my life, I would still die a very happy man. HH doesn't have as much variety when it comes to limited releases, but they are all generally good IF you like that type of bourbon (EC and EW 20+ year releases), and the fact that they make some interesting stuff available for BHC/EW Experience only releases makes things a bit more exciting when you visit. Oh and there's that whole ECBP thing. People seem to like that.

The quality dip I've experienced with Buffalo Trace's standard line knocks them out of the running for me, though the CEHT stuff is certainly quite good if I can find it on sale. Four Roses is always first and foremost in my mind (and bunker), but I think I'll give my vote to Heaven Hill for their consistent quality, diversity, availability, and generally low prices. Heaven Hill: The People's Champion!

On the international front, Compass Box really doesn't have any competition. Their standard lineup is generally outstanding, reasonably priced, and readily available where I live. They also do some amazing limited releases, and try whenever possible to be innovative within the iron grip of the SWA. Do yourself a favor and take a gander over at whisky advocate's buying guide. You have to scroll to page two to find a Compass Box release rated below 90. Most other major reviewers seem to agree. Not that you should trust anyone's word but your own, but I think the near universal critical acclaim at least makes their whiskies worth taking a small risk.

I am tempted to take the "other" side of this issue and say that none of the majors have earned or deserve recognition for exceptional performance in 2014. Yes, each produce quality product across the spectrum of their product lines. Was anything truly a stand-out or new? Perhaps the PHC8 qualifies. BTAC/VanWinkle/4R Limiteds - I would not know as they are so limited in availability in NJ as to be fictional. The bigger issues facing producers and consumers in the face of unanticipated excess demand were not handled in a way that would give consumers any additional information to make informed purchase decisions. Obviously, the excess of demand over supply is beyond their control of the distillers. Yet, the seemingly unending erosion of information describing what is actually in the bottle can't be applauded by consumers. Age statements are disappearing quickly. Rumors of inventory depletion of aged stock abound. How will it effect current expressions? When will a supply response be available? I would love one of the majors to address the issues by providing consumers with a more detailed description of the product plans. Does a love of this product have to entail the constant review of COLA filings in order to try and deduce what is going on?

I get it, it is fantasy to think the clarity I seek will be forthcoming from a competitive industry. But I sure do want it.

To play along with the game, rather than select the Distiller of the Year by what percentage they represent in my bunker, I would have to go with whose products really opened my eyes this year and it would have to be HH. The PHC 8 was an outstanding (I haven't opened my GTS yet - yes I got one) and the McKenna and Elijah Craig products I had this year were consistently outstanding. And, with effort, available. The GTS I got was pure generosity of a friend from out of state.

I also believe HH was the only big distiller (and maybe only distiller?) to go against the time current and add an age statement this year with Bernheim

Voted for HH last year, and my vote stands for this year! Just love everything they are doing.

Four Roses is not far behind. I do love what they and Jim do but I'd say what edges HH ahead is that it is privately owned and family run.

HH is great for all types of bourbon drinkers. Many mashbills, many price points, very educational tour, good brand, good vote for 2014.

Good arguments all for FR, HH, and BT.

And just like last year, four pages in and no mention of Brown-Forman ...

i hadnt noticed that, but its true. They dont offer a single thing Ive ever re-bought. JD must keep them afloat, but I dont see how....

i hadnt noticed that, but its true. They dont offer a single thing Ive ever re-bought. JD must keep them afloat, but I dont see how....

Old Forester Signature is a hell of a bourbon. I love to pour it when I get together with my old man.

Good arguments all for FR, HH, and BT.

It is interesting. I don't think there has been any mention of WT or JB. I do like WT products, BF and JB products not so much. Booker's is good but none of the JB name brands stand out.

I'd give a pat on the back to WT for reintroducing the 101 expression of their rye, but in the same year I feel like the new RB is a step down from previous, diamond seems to be widely regarded as expense without reason, and theres not much positive said about Forgivien, even by WT fanatics.

Their mainline 101s, and even though I like it less than I used to RB, are good juice at a good value, but everything on the periphery seems really off the mark.

It is interesting. I don't think there has been any mention of WT or JB. I do like WT products, BF and JB products not so much. Booker's is good but none of the JB name brands stand out.

I enjoy WT101. It's a solid bourbon and a fair price. I like WTRB, but I feel it's not as much of a step up from 101 to warrant more money.

As for Brown-Forman, I'd like to get my hands on some OFSig. For whatever reason, OF is widely unavailable around these parts.

For me, HH is the common man's winner. As much as I like FR and BF offerings, being able to enjoy the values of JTSBrown, J.W. Dant, OldFitzBiB, EWBiB, Larceny, HMcKBiB, and EWSB beats out FR and BF offerings on the whole. Also, price per ounce, I'd bet on EC12 in knife fight versus most bourbons. I'd also like to get my hands on some HHBiB.

Then again, I haven't had the ability to purchase the more expensive offerings from BF, and I'm a bit scared to purchase the single recipe versions of FR because I might like them too much. When I purchase one soon, I'm thinking of starting with OESK or OESQ.

I'm thinking of starting with OESK or OESQ.

You'll be a card carrying member of the cult as soon as you try those two. Damn good stuff.

I'm onboard with HH. All the big boys have the experience and stock to make a great limited/exclusive/rare label that most will never see. If they strip those away, HH stands out with a consistent, reliable, above average lineup. I really enjoy EWSB, Larceny and EC12/BP, all of which are standard on-the-shelf options at a great price. Throw in unique whiskey like PHC 8th and HHSS private selections and it's a slam dunk.

BT produces some fine bourbon, but they didn't do anything new in 2014 to step up like HH has.

FR is great, though I find it a bit frustrating that most of their better products are single barrel offerings that are irreplaceable when a good bottle runs out, and the "collect 'em all!" urge is overwhelming, and expensive.

Could have gone either way between HH and 4R but as long as the PS SBs keep coming not to mention the love I have for the standard offerings I give it to 4R. The mentions of big price increases on the PS stuff could throw a real wrench in the works for me if its true and becomes the norm.

That along with the great folks at their facilities, the mellow moments club, the presence of JR, the GBS barrel selection experience. They are just head and shoulders above from my perspective. I guess it wasn't that close after all. I am also a big fan of HH and if 4R wasn't a factor they would get my vote.

You'll be a card carrying member of the cult as soon as you try those two. Damn good stuff.

I really enjoy the SB, so it's just a matter of time until I start drinking the other stuff.

• 1 month later...

BT for me. I get the HH argument, but my favorites this year came from BT--Stagg; Saz 18. Plus, I think BT has the best in the affordable area--baby Saz and Elmer (when you can find it).

Though my two favorite whiskies are made by Dickel and Beam, I still have to say HH for the wide variety, ease of attainment, diverse profiles, and generally not being too affected by the boom of bourbon while still offering all that variety at great prices.

Though my two favorite whiskies are made by Dickel and Beam, I still have to say HH for the wide variety, ease of attainment, diverse profiles, and generally not being too affected by the boom of bourbon while still offering all that variety at great prices.

Let us pray... that they can keep it up in '15.

I drink BT, HH and BEAM bourbons for the most part.

Specialty bourbons aside HH Elijah Craig 12 for price point, availability and taste is unmatched.

Where can you find a good 12 year old bourbon for $27?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.