2014 NDP Of The Year

ramblinman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Figured the DoY thread needed a compliment.

My vote goes to Smooth Ambler. I have went through an embarrassment of barrel proof Old Scout Rye this year, and they're just fantastic. Their 10 year bourbon, I honestly don't care for all that much, but their 7 and a private selection 9 I've had (same as the 10 on mashbill, but was much deeper and richer in every dimension) are very good as well.

Add to that the new Contradition that they're putting out, and their pride/transparency with labeling themselves as an Artisan Bottler. Looking forward to great things to come from them in the future.

Van Winkle, they continue to do the best to perpetuate a myth into a mountain of cash.

At this point aren't they really brand ambassadors for a legacy distillery? JVWIII clearly was a NDP at Lawrenceburg, but once the BT deal began that role really seems to have evolved. Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery is a NDP but then again so is W.L. Weller&Sons and all of the other "fake" distilleries that get labeled as such by the big boys. Hard to sort all of the categories out.

For me the top three NDP's are Smooth Ambler, KBD/Willett and High West. And I think for purposes of this thread I would rank them (on current products) in that order.

High West gets my domestic vote. I have had some outstanding Smooth Ambler bottles, and I do appreciate their transparency - but most what I've had are single barrels (I haven't had Contradiction yet though). High West takes aged spirit from others and makes it different, by mingling it with other spirits, finishing in different casks, and creating unique products.

Globally - I think Compass Box is doing amazing stuff. I've had some tastes which I was less than impressed with - but they're catering to a wide range of tastes. IMHO, both John Glasser and Dave Perkins are hitting it out of the park, and I always look forward to trying new stuff they produce.

Smooth Ambler for me. I addition to their regular bottlings the barrel selection program is in full swing and available. The prices are very reasonable compared to some other NDPs. Lastly, as the OP said, transparency is king for many of us around here and SA has never tried to obfuscate what they do.

Have to also pick Smooth Ambler. I like their:

1) expressions

2) people running the business [John and John]

3) transparency

4) future plans for the business ... sustainability, quality products and producing a true WV straight bourbon

5) hospitality ... a visit to Smooth Ambler provides a lesson on how to be treated as a valued customer.

6) location ... they are located in the Greenbrier Valley of WV! :lol:

High West gets my domestic vote. I have had some outstanding Smooth Ambler bottles, and I do appreciate their transparency - but most what I've had are single barrels (I haven't had Contradiction yet though). High West takes aged spirit from others and makes it different, by mingling it with other spirits, finishing in different casks, and creating unique products.

Globally - I think Compass Box is doing amazing stuff. I've had some tastes which I was less than impressed with - but they're catering to a wide range of tastes. IMHO, both John Glasser and Dave Perkins are hitting it out of the park, and I always look forward to trying new stuff they produce.

I'm really digging the new High West experiments with finished products...I want to get my hands on one of the manhattan aged rendezvous ryes...

For me it's co-champions, High West and Smooth Ambler. I have had some fantastic bottles at what I consider to be priced correctly.

Ha! I've only consumed a single bottle from a NDP - Willett Rye 5yo. So, in fairness, I abstain.

Edited by MauiSon

Based on sheer quality: St. George. An ironic honour since this outfit is perhaps the oldest craft distiller in America, but it does not distill bourbon, or not any that it has released.

Gary

Smooth Ambler for me. I addition to their regular bottlings the barrel selection program is in full swing and available. The prices are very reasonable compared to some other NDPs. Lastly, as the OP said, transparency is king for many of us around here and SA has never tried to obfuscate what they do.

• 2 weeks later...

The Manhattan barrel aged double rye that just came to nola gives high west the edge. Great smooth amblers, some great WFE this year. But $ for $ hw wins.

Also a big fan of Smooth Ambler this year but as a lover of innovative finishing of whiskey I have to give the nod to High West, not only on what they came up with this year but a little sneak peek of what we might be seeing for next year as well! The Vya sweet vermouth finished Rendezvous (I think) was fabulous!

Wow that is a difficult choice for me right now.. I have had several bottles of SAOS 7yr and really liked them.. And For the Money the High West Rendezvous Rye was one of my favorite all time Available Rye's.. I have both 10 Yr SAOS on hand and the New High West Midwinter Nights Dram.. I have not tried either if these to date.. Both have done an excellent job from the products I have tried and comments from my local liquor store.. He is building a following for both brands.. Cheers, Creggor

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.