Willett Gift Shop

NWBourbonDrinker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone been to the Willett Gift Shop recently? If so, what are they offering and what kind of prices does one typically have to pay. I am back in the area next week but on a very busy trip and wondering if it is worthwhile to stop?

Tx

The selection seems to vary a lot day-to-day or week-to-week. You can almost always count on something absurdly pricey - as Eric said above 250-350 for a 20+y r product.

They'll likely have some younger stuff.

Well, I am set below 12 and have a 21 year Bourbon I paid $199 for a couple years back. I have heard the 20+ Rye can be amazing so I may have to sell my first born and see if I can bring one home.

Thank you gentlemen.

Bring your accountant, loan officer and shrink. You may need all three.

Shouldn't be a problem - they'll be cheaper than the bottles.

i was there a few weeks ago in october. can't vouch for stock at this time obviously. but the 25 yr rye was $350 and the 24 yr bourbon was $400

Does anybody have a history of the prices at Willett, like what prices were like a year ago, two, more? I'm curious how this has progressed.

I'm not the most versed, but when my dad went in 2011. He was incensed to pay $40 for a 6 year BP bourbon. Time changing, etc.

Does anybody have a history of the prices at Willett, like what prices were like a year ago, two, more? I'm curious how this has progressed.

I think they've made a deliberate choice to try and price-out the flippers at the gift shop. They also instituted bottle limits for the same reason. Not sure the exact timing of this decision - but they told us at the gift shop this summer they were sick of seeing bottles pop up for sale online immediately after someone walked out of the giftshop with a case.

I think they've made a deliberate choice to try and price-out the flippers at the gift shop. They also instituted bottle limits for the same reason. Not sure the exact timing of this decision - but they told us at the gift shop this summer they were sick of seeing bottles pop up for sale online immediately after someone walked out of the giftshop with a case.

Liquor stores might have a tough time doing it but this might be the kind of place where a two tier price system might work since they can have tasting areas at distilleries. One price if you crack it open on site and have a taste. Double or triple the price (which they are basically doing for everybody now anyway) if you take it home intact!

Liquor stores might have a tough time doing it but this might be the kind of place where a two tier price system might work since they can have tasting areas at distilleries. One price if you crack it open on site and have a taste. Double or triple the price (which they are basically doing for everybody now anyway) if you take it home intact!

I think all these ideas that get repeated here about cracking the seal or pouring one out in person sound reasonable in theory.

But when I went to the bourbon trail for the first time this summer, about half of my purchases were birthday/holiday gifts for friends who weren't on the trip with me. I had no intent of flipping them, but I would have been pretty unhappy if I had to pay double the price to walk out with an intact bottle.

Not to mention it would also mean for a lot of travelers having to fly with an open bottle which is much more leak prone and probably would garner some funny looks if TSA checked your bags.

One price if you crack it open on site and have a taste...
Edited by portwood

Is that even legal (in every state)?

I don't pretend to know American liquor laws but I would imagine that most (all?) control states would probably frown upon open bottles of liquor travelling around ...

The defacing the label at the point of purchase strategy would still be legal.

It might mess with your gifting strategy nd2005, but then, if you're gifting whiskey to someone, presumably the recipient is an experienced whiskey drinker and would understand why this was done?

The defacing the label at the point of purchase strategy would still be legal.

It might mess with your gifting strategy nd2005, but then, if you're gifting whiskey to someone, presumably the recipient is an experienced whiskey drinker and would understand why this was done?

Bottom line is I guess I just don't like people putting terms or conditions on how I buy my whiskey or what I do with it...

This goes to the heart of capitalism and democracy!

Alcohol is already taxed and regulated to the nth degree, the last thing we need is to be told what to do with our purchases.

Bottom line is I guess I just don't like people putting terms or conditions on how I buy my whiskey or what I do with it...

Neither do the flippers :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.