Scotch by the people, for the people

horn1602
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Over the last few weeks I've picked up several bottles of scotch claiming to be chosen by the people for the rest of us to enjoy:

Glenmoramgie Taghta

Glenlivet Guardians Chapter

It seems like I'm noticing these more frequently recently (if you can count two as a trend). Any thoughts on these two specifically, or on this practice in general? Should we be leaving these decisions up to 'the people' whoever the Guardians are or whoever was involved in the Taghta? I have too many bottles open right now and need to clear some space before I open either of these, but as I was preparing my first pour tonight I began to think/wonder more about this.

Cheers all!

Edited by horn1602
Speling is haard

Both are marketing exercises, pure and simple.

three samples* were selected by the master blenders for the respective distilleries and "the public" were asked to choose their favourite at tasting events in various cities across the world.

its not like a bunch of joes went into the warehouse, tasted a bunch of barrels and chose the best one.

In the end, due to all the costs involved in the marketing exercise, each bottle will cost considerably more than the equivalent malt. Example, here the Nadurra Olorosso and the Guardians Chapter were released recently. Both NAS (likely similar age), the former is $85 (60.7% abv), the latter $90 (48.7% abv). So, the Nadurra was matured in supposedly more expensive ex-sherry casks (G chapter probably is only partially ex-sherry) at a much higher ABV, yet the Guardians Chapter is more expensive. Power of the people!

*i'm sure it was 3 for Glenlivet. Not completely certain of the number for Glenmorangie

Edited by portwood

A camel is a horse designed by committee and all that . . . Not that either really fits that description, but it is a fun saying.

Well I'm feeling fairly duped right about now. Thanks for the responses though. Live, learn and all that.

What pisses me off about these is that there is no information about them. No age statement. No information on the type of barrels. If you are going to charge a certain amount of coin for something like that, at least let us know what we are spending on.

When you open them, let us know how they taste though. Maybe they are really good!

Sorry you feel that way, it wasn't my intention to make you feel bad about your purchases.

I'm sure they are fine whiskies and you will probably enjoy them. Give them a fair shake (i.e. forget the noise), if you enjoy them, that's what matters. You are more likely to remember a good experience than what you paid for said experience.

What pisses me off about these is that there is no information about them. No age statement. No information on the type of barrels. If you are going to charge a certain amount of coin for something like that, at least let us know what we are spending on.

When you open them, let us know how they taste though. Maybe they are really good!

Can't speak to the Glenlivet as I haven't tried it (was supposed to be at the Atlanta WoW event but was a no show. The new Sherry Nadurra was there instead. Not a bad whisky and at least CS but not mind blowing either.).

But there is at least some info on the Glenmo out there. Its gimmick is the Manzanilla sherry finish which is certainly unusual. There was some discussion of each option (Grand Gru Burgundy, Grand Cru Bordeaux and the Manzanilla that was selected).

Age of course, as is the trend these days, remains a mystery for all of them. As I understand it for the Glenmo they took their basic 10 year old and finished it in the 3 different casks just as they do for their regular "extra matured" port, sherry and sauternes finishes. How long each new whisky spent in the finishing cask is the mystery. So you get to pay $100 plus for a whisky that could be anywhere from 10 years and few months on up!

I must say Taghta is an interesting tasting whisky though. And interesting is what attracts me these days. I have enough basic comfortable malts to last me several lifetimes. I much more interested in something a bit different, even if it ultimately proves an expensive bust.

It is interesting to note that this was also done with Ardbeg, sister distillery to Glenmo (which is overseen by the same master distiller, Bill Lumsen) because the Manzanilla finish is the gimmick with the generally panned Ardbog.

Clearly he either likes this finish or else he got a fire sale on Manzanilla barrels a few years ago and needs to use them! Early in the cask master "selection process" he tipped his hand by saying the Manzanilla finish was his favorite.

For me it didn't work with Ardbeg but I like it better in the Taghta. Whether it is worth the price due to this "marketing exercise" is another issue al together! I wonder if this might become the fourth finished whisky in the standard "extra matured" Glenmo line (at which point it might get cheaper as they make more?).

Can't speak to the Glenlivet as I haven't tried it (was supposed to be at the Atlanta WoW event but was a no show. The new Sherry Nadurra was there instead. Not a bad whisky and at least CS but not mind blowing either.).

But there is at least some info on the Glenmo out there. Its gimmick is the Manzanilla sherry finish which is certainly unusual. There was some discussion of each option (Grand Gru Burgundy, Grand Cru Bordeaux and the Manzanilla that was selected).

Age of course, as is the trend these days, remains a mystery for all of them. As I understand it for the Glenmo they took their basic 10 year old and finished it in the 3 different casks just as they do for their regular "extra matured" port, sherry and sauternes finishes. How long each new whisky spent in the finishing cask is the mystery. So you get to pay $100 plus for a whisky that could be anywhere from 10 years and few months on up!

I must say Taghta is an interesting tasting whisky though. And interesting is what attracts me these days. I have enough basic comfortable malts to last me several lifetimes. I much more interested in something a bit different, even if it ultimately proves an expensive bust.

It is interesting to note that this was also done with Ardbeg, sister distillery to Glenmo (which is overseen by the same master distiller, Bill Lumsen) because the Manzanilla finish is the gimmick with the generally panned Ardbog.

Clearly he either likes this finish or else he got a fire sale on Manzanilla barrels a few years ago and needs to use them! Early in the cask master "selection process" he tipped his hand by saying the Manzanilla finish was his favorite.

For me it didn't work with Ardbeg but I like it better in the Taghta. Whether it is worth the price due to this "marketing exercise" is another issue al together! I wonder if this might become the fourth finished whisky in the standard "extra matured" Glenmo line (at which point it might get cheaper as they make more?).

I couldn't have put it any better. I basically second all Bruce's thoughts on the Taghta.

I probably wouldn't have bought a bottle if my guy had been so excited about offering it to me after previous Glenmo special orders with him.

I took part in the Taghta selection - the Manzanilla was a clear favorite (about half of the 35 or 40 people involved), the rest roughly split between the Burgundy and Bordeaux. The Burgundy finish was the most interesting to me.

• 4 months later...

Finally got around to the Taghta several weeks ago. While certainly not my favorite, I can't say I didn't enjoy it. It was something that I haven't really had before. I'm glad to have tried it, but am also glad I only got the single bottle as I'm not sure the price per pour is worth it for me.

I did pick up 2 bottles of the Tusail recently as I really enjoyed the Ealanta and Companta. Haven't opened yet, but may get around to it soon.

Glenlivet still in line.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.