Old Grand Dad fig jam

VT Mike
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I made some fig jam for Thanksgiving from a recipe I found online. I was sipping on OGD while tasting the finished product and I realized the missed opportunity. I decided to make a second batch for Christmas and put some 80 proof OGD (that I will probably never drink) in it.

Start with 2 cups of dried figs. Chop into small pieces, I also cut off the stems since they are pretty tough.

Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add figs and cook over medium heat for 10 min. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 20 min.

Put cooked figs and any remaining liquid in a food processor and grind to a paste.

Put fig paste back in pot. Add 1 cup bourbon (original recipe called for water here), 1/2 cup sugar, juice of 1 orange and juice of 1/2 lemon.

Stir together and cook over low heat until it thickens, stirring occasionally. This will take another 20 - 30 minutes. I kept the pot loosely covered, it tends to splatter as it cooks down.

Enjoy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.