I Have A Question About Havana Club Rum

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought Bruce, Cap'n Jimbo or another board member might know the answer, and I did check online and couldn't find a clear answer.

Given the U.S.-Cuba trade embargo, what kind of barrels does Havana Club use for its rum? Clearly, it cannot buy ex-bourbon barrels direct from the U.S. Does it use another kind of wood, or does it purchase bourbon barrels after use to make rum or another spirit from a source outside the U.S.? I would not have thought there is a large supply of non-U.S. oak barrels on the market, so what do they do in Cuba?

I buy occasionally the Anejo of Havana Club and I think I've had every rum in their line-up including the Maestro one.

The Anejo is by far the best, a very good value here (Toronto) for $27.00. It is equal in quality to Four Roses Yellow Label, one of those really good spirits still priced relatively low.

Gary

An excellent question and not one I thought to ask when I was at the main store and "museum" in Havana. Perhaps if anyone goes soon they can ask!

Haven't seen any details to speak of online. I suspect they are mostly using third hand barrels purchased from some intermediary. Maybe it is Canadian whiskey barrels!

To learn if the "Cap'n" has any thoughts on the matter, and he usually seems to, you may need to ask it on his forum.

Don't think they can buy the barrels directly, at least at the present time, but there's no lack of used barrels in the market and Cuban producers do business with others who are not subject to embargo restrictions.

It occurred to me that Cuba has had a long standing relationship with Venezuela, also a pretty big rum producer, who under Chavez supplied them with most of their oil and gas. As far as I know that relationship has continued since Chavez's death (he got a lot of his medical care in Cuba). My trip to Cuba in the Spring of 2013 coincided with his death resulting in a lot of fear in the country, apparently unfounded, that they would lose their source for oil. Wouldn't surprise me if they sourced barrels from them too. No doubt other countries in the region could do the same thing as Squire notes.

Don't think they can buy the barrels directly, at least at the present time, but there's no lack of used barrels in the market and Cuban producers do business with others who are not subject to embargo restrictions.

It occurred to me that Cuba has had a long standing relationship with Venezuela, also a pretty big rum producer, who under Chavez supplied them with most of their oil and gas. As far as I know that relationship has continued since Chavez's death (he got a lot of his medical care in Cuba). My trip to Cuba in the Spring of 2013 coincided with his death resulting in a lot of fear in the country, apparently unfounded, that they would lose their source for oil. Wouldn't surprise me if they sourced barrels from them too. No doubt other countries in the region could do the same thing as Squire notes.

Gary I was thinking there are so many small producers scattered around the Caribbean such as in the Dominican Republic, Martinique, Haiti and other places, not to mention the large producers in Guyana and Argentina, it seems like it would be simple enough for somebody to add a few extra thousand barrels here and there to their regular orders then flip 'em for a profit to the Cubans.

Thanks for all comments. The HC Anejo is very good, very soft and rich with a characteristic nutty taste. Of course this is just one rum from probably a 1000 or more in the general region. Still, I'm glad to have access to it, while understanding fully (and respecting) why the U.S. doesn't sell it.

Gary

Oh, and lots of non-native eucalyptus trees which seem to have been imported into much of the tropical zone from Australia as a fast growing wood source.

They lack just about everything!

While there are places that have some smaller trees there are no oak trees that I recall. Most of the trees have been cut and fields plowed for agriculture it appeared. Abandoned fields were covered in low scrub growth with few large trees.

Lots of different kinds of palm trees and a few pines as well as citrus fruit trees, fig trees and maybe some ash trees were the main hardwoods I remember. Also a few flowering trees like plumeria and the rare mahogany tree. The only places I saw with a lot of trees were national parks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.