Stagg vs. Stagg

bobbyc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well folks, really I have no intention of sending myself into a drunken stupor. I have a touch , and I mean a small touch of Last years 136.7 and This years 142.7 at the moment, in the small tasting glasses Larry Kass let us keep yesterday. Findings, Conclusions? I don't have any. I'll get back later. After a smell and taste of each, I found myself tasting the new and chasing it with the old, tasting the old chased by the new. I am doing a disservice , I know, to scientific method. Scientific Method be Damned, I'm enjoying it. Not ready to proclaim a winner( Unless I consider myself wink.gif)

Not ready to join Marvins camp. It's different, actually percentage wise the extra 6 points of proof doesn't seem like a lot , but I think each of those 6 points are calling attention to themselves. I was considering sending this back and forgoing the cost of admission. That to me at this point would have been a big mistake. This just needs more time and work on my part. I know it's a dirty job but.............

toast.gif

<font color="blue"> Good God Give Stephane Grappelli Some </font>

lol.gif

I'm with you Bobby. I am enjoying both of the Stagg releases right now. Still not certain of a favorite, but both are extremely fine bourbons IMHO. toast.gif

• 4 weeks later...

If I counted correctly, that about $1700 worth of Stagg!! Not bad considering you could probably sell it for about $2500 in a couple months. I have 5 bottles and I thought that was quite a few. Humm........was I wrong.

Bobby, I notice that some of your bottles have a gold sticker on them. Is this a "hand picked for" sticker. If you tire of all that Stagg, I'll gladly take a couple bottles off your hands. laugh.gif

The gold sticker is "Whiskey of the Year, 2002" on last years bottles. Not all of last years had that and a few in front are this years.

<font color="green"> Good God Give Mel Torme Some </font>

Between the Members of this board who laid it in, we collectively have enough to fill a barrel back up. Sometimes I wonder what 5 more years at warehouse H would produce, I realise it's about perfect as is no point in that but it is amazing to think about the volume.

<font color="red"> Good God Give Charlie Watts Some </font>

Boy I would love to hunt that herd ! Every one of them is a trophy !!!

Nice Stash ! Well done !

Bill G.

toast.gif

It's like a choir. Singing to the love of our favorite spirit. It is an awesome display of indulgence as well!!!

Well done! bowdown.gif

This is nothing less than awesome! I've downloaded the pic and think it would make a stupendouss desktop photo. You are the man! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif Ed

I haven't tried my Stagg '03 yet (I bought two bottles). I find the proof a little intimidating, and my experience with the ultra-high proofs (e.g., Booker's) has been that I don't really care for it. It's a case where I can't wait to try it, but am hesitant to be disappointed. So, I keep whiling away with others I know I like (and there are several!).

Pop the Cork, You'll love it!

toast.gif

<font color="blue"> Good God Give Allison Kraus Some </font>

> I find the proof a little intimidating, and my experience with the ultra-high

> proofs (e.g., Booker's) has been that I don't really care for it.

Don't be fooled by the "drink it at full proof" crowd. You're not any

less of a man if you add water. As a matter of fact (I have said it in the

past and will say it again): if you're only drinking it at full proof, then

you're missing out on a lot of the greatness of these bourbons. You're

supposed to add water to anything bottled at such a high-proof.

(I'd love to see the members of the "drink it at full proof" crowd do

a side-by-side tasting consisting of undiluted Stagg vs. a similar but

lower proof bourbon that has been "boosted" in proof by adding ethanol

(e.g. Everclear).)

Tim Dellinger

I think that the flavor profiles of bourbon are far too subjective to be claiming anyone is missing out on anything, no matter how they take their drink. I happen to prefer most of my bourbons at full strength, regardless of proof. That said, there are some that I find are enhanced with a bit of water. For instance, I enjoy Stagg '02 best neat, while '03 needs about 25% water added, IMHO. It all comes down to how you like your whisk(e)y, and no one sould try and convince you otherwise.

I agree with you as well Jeff. I personally enjoy my Stagg (the 02' have not opened an 03' as of yet) straight while Elijah Craig 12 year I find really benefits from a quick splash. To each is own when it comes to straight or diluted a little/lot.

I'm so new to drinking bourbon, that I do both when I'm trying something new, which is almost everytime I open a different bottle.

I have openned and tasted Stagg '03..... I will never be the same again this is sooo smmmoooothhh and the taste I will never find words inmy life time to do justice to the finest of the Distiller's Art.... I just hope that my daily pour will stand this small sip of the Nector of the Gods

Bill G,

Very tough call I finailly broke down and openned one of 02' for the first time last night I will never be the same again .... grin.gif

Bill g.

bowdown.gif Stagg Rules

Good idea -- water opens up some flavors and if you are into getting all experiences then by all means sampling neat, with a splash, on ice, all make a nice range, IMHO.

I stopped off at my bottle shop today to again thank the owner/ manager for his efforts in getting me G.T. Stagg ... It just so happened that the area Distributor/Sales Rep was there also . I got to thank him also for his efforts and have secured that next years G.T. Stagg and the up coming B.Trace release bottlings will be coming my way A.S.A.P. ...

The only thing I feel bad about blush.gif is that other than buying Bourbon there is nothing that I have to offer or can do for these gentlemen that they will take to express my thanks for their efforts. banghead.gif... I do see that having gotten in ORVW products and Other BT products that a small but growing sales base has started here the the SE of MA at the 2 shops... wink.gifgrin.gif

Bill G.

Actually you did do a hell of a lot for them, They have product in an area they didn't previously. It will catch on and they will profit. I had this quandry last year in my searching for Stagg and OFBB. I ordered some thru a liquor store and they doubled the order and sold out. They didn't have any idea about either bourbons and they made money in the end. 5 % off to me would have been nice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.