Crown Royal Texas style

squire
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up another bottle of this at Goody-Goody today. I also stopped by Specs, and they had a big display with a full-size replica barrel. It had a plaque attached with their barrel number. I didn't bother to write it down, since i didn't buy one from there, and I have no idea what barrel my TW bottle is from.

Now that i think about it, Goody Goody had a barrel display too, but it was crammed down a narrow aisle, so i didn't notice if it had a barrel number displayed.

I didn't buy mine in person; just curious - are the barrel numbers listed on anyone's bottles? Or just in the retailer's displays?

Didn't care for this at all. Going to revisit it in a week or so. Bottle was from Specs.

You and Steve (SKU) seem to be on the same page on this one. I have not usually detected the soapy notes Steve sometimes refers to but maybe that was because I got my mouth washed out with a soap a few too many times in my tender youth and grew to like it... :rolleyes:

Just going to have to try it myself I suppose. If my order ever arrives. Seems to be in limbo at the moment. :banghead:

Interestingly , last evening I was tasting this again and the spiciness component manifested itself in a cinnamony Lavoris mouthwash-ish thing. I did not find that unenjoyable, though. Been a couple of days with it now, and continue to like it very much. Still my favorite Canadian...since Natasha Henstridge...

Interestingly , last evening I was tasting this again and the spiciness component manifested itself in a cinnamony Lavoris mouthwash-ish thing. I did not find that unenjoyable, though. Been a couple of days with it now, and continue to like it very much. Still my favorite Canadian...since Natasha Henstridge...

As a single barrel product I suppose we can't discount variation from barrel to barrel. Not to mention variation from palate to palate!

I haven't found any soapy notes either. I've only tried my bottle from the TW Barrel so far. Need to open up the GG for comparison.

I'm not typically a fan of Canadian whiskey either, but I'm still enjoying this (and Joe, I quite enjoy Natasha Henstridge too).

Joe the mouthwash is definitely the rye element and a low distilling-out proof. Some of the old HH taste was like this.

Gary

Too much...

post-8493-1448982193926_thumb.jpg

Is never enough!

OK, these aren't ALL for me. Seemed cheapest to check out this latest Diageo quasi obfuscated pseudo single barrel by purchasing a full case for a bit of a discount. This will be shared with various GBS and other Atlanta area enthusiasts who have expressed an interest. No evidence that I could find of an actual barrel number on the case they came in, the box or any bottle. So who knows if it is really a single barrel. And unlikely to be cask strength since every one I have seen is exactly 103 proof.

On the plus side at least it is 103 proof!

Tasting commences this evening.

:drinking:

Thanks for the picture. Visual aids work well on me while small print makes no lasting impression. I have not seen it in the WashDC & surrounding areas, yet. I look forward to your comments.

Edit: Oh, yeah, what do you consider "evening" down there in GA?

Edited by Harry in WashDC
to add a question

Edit: Oh, yeah, what do you consider "evening" down there in GA?

In terms of drinking anything after about noon and before sunrise! Although exceptions can be made for for just about any reason...

In terms of drinking anything after about noon and before sunrise! Although exceptions can be made for for just about any reason...

Well, then, it's 1:34pm ET where we are. I don't see no notes. What's taking so long?:shocked:

Well, then, it's 1:34pm ET where we are. I don't see no notes. What's taking so long?:shocked:

Ok, ok! :cool:

Cracked it open last night alongside a bottle of regular Crown. The regular Crown had been open awhile as it is not one I go to often. More for guests...

The Single Barrel still has some typical Crown sweetness and softness although not as much as the regular bottle. But the palate definitely has a more bourbon like character with some barrel notes as oposed to the more artificial sweetness of regular Crown. Could make a decent "gateway" whiskey for those drinkers that need to be "rescued" from the morass that is the average mid shelf Canadian whiskey! Neither one had very much of a finish to me.

Biggest difference is this is one I would consider drinking again, unlike regular Crown which still doesn't seem very interesting to me.

Thank you, T. The only true "Canadian whiskey" I keep around is Wiser's Legacy, and even it gets ignored unless I'm in the mood. I regifted, untasted, the only CR I've possessed in as far back as I can remember. But you and some other SBers whose tastes are similar to mine have now said "It's OK" enough times that I won't pass. Even have just the spot in my car trunk for one bottle.

Sucks that the only CR I have every really been interested in probably won't be available in my area (or most of the US) for a very long time, if ever. Oh well, guess I'll just keep drinking 10 year old Canadian rye and being grateful for it.

Sucks that the only CR I have every really been interested in probably won't be available in my area (or most of the US) for a very long time, if ever. Oh well, guess I'll just keep drinking 10 year old Canadian rye and being grateful for it.

I am one of those heretics here that likes Beam products, and I also happen to like plain 'ol Crown also. In the good old days in Texas (if you are responsible at 18 then you are at 21..if you aren't then you aren't) when the minimum age was 18 I think the first drink most of us had was a Crown and Coke. I drink it neat now occasionally and find it quite pleasant, but far from an everyday pour. I am really looking forward to trying this..going to have to go to Spec's this weekend and get a bottle.

For those of you that unfortunately :grin:don't live here..the reason Crown Royal is so popular in Texas is that Canadians that moved down here in the 60's to work in the oil fields sent up a cry to have Crown Royal sold in Texas. It has been big here ever since.

For those of you that unfortunately :grin:don't live here..the reason Crown Royal is so popular in Texas is that Canadians that moved down here in the 60's to work in the oil fields sent up a cry to have Crown Royal sold in Texas. It has been big here ever since.

Ahh, very interesting. Thanks for passing that along.

Yup, makes sense. Lots of bourbon consumed in the Alberta oil patch too, I'm sure.

Gary

I am one of those heretics here that likes Beam products, and I also happen to like plain 'ol Crown also. In the good old days in Texas (if you are responsible at 18 then you are at 21..if you aren't then you aren't) when the minimum age was 18 I think the first drink most of us had was a Crown and Coke. I drink it neat now occasionally and find it quite pleasant, but far from an everyday pour. I am really looking forward to trying this..going to have to go to Spec's this weekend and get a bottle.

Tried it again. Neat it tasted nyquilly to me, water improved it. This bottle is going to sit on my shelf for a looong time.

Tried it again. Neat it tasted nyquilly to me, water improved it. This bottle is going to sit on my shelf for a looong time.

Apparently you and Winston need to meet!

I like this one. I've only had two pours of it so far, and it was a while ago, but I've stocked up.

I'm admittedly biased. My dad drank Canadian Club, so I am pleased that they've made some variants lately (the Texas edition and the Chairman's Reserve) that I can enjoy sipping while thinking of him.

• 1 month later...

I've now tried this. Interesting and different than I thought. It resembles WhistlePig quite closely, which means inter alia there is an emerging style of Canadian straight whiskey, the Western style I would dub it.

The body is on the light side, there is a touch of charred oak and more plain oak in the background, some good spicy/strawberry notes that must be the congeners transformed 8-10 years on. I get connections to MGPI rye and also to the former Michter's Original Sour Mash, but not really any Kentucky straight. There seems in general a "northern" straight whiskey style in North America which I'd infer is primarily the result of climate.

Good product and the other thing is, as others have noted, the CR signature is very much there. The flavouring whiskey really does give a stamp to the regular CR albeit used (presumably) in small quantity.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.