BOTM 1/15: Wild Turkey 101

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First of all, Happy New Year to everyone! I'm starting out this year pretty much the same as I have in the past. Better late than never. :skep: What can I say? At least I'm fairly consistent. :lol:

The BOTM to start off the New Year is Wild Turkey 101. This one's for you Paul. :grin:

Not much from me on this one. It's sad to say, but it's been a while since I've had a bottle of this around. My only thoughts (mostly from memory) are that this is a pretty decent bourbon. It's taste isn't eye popping or outrageous, but it's also far from dull. I think that I can safely say that to myself, and probably a few others, WT 101 is in that category of bourbons (still) considered a "value" pour. All in all, a darned nice bourbon, still at a mostly reasonable price.

There ya' go. Let's hear what y'all have to say about Wild Turkey 101.

Cheers, and once again, a very Happy New Year to one and all. :cool:

Joe

Great way to start the new year off Joe! I've always had a turkey (or two) around, so this gives me a good reason to open one up.

The last one I opened didn't make it though the evening:lol:, so wish me luck!

I am working my way through a bottle bought about 2 years ago (just got down to the last 1/3). In general I like it for its boldness and particular sort of spiciness in the finish, which reminds me a little of clove and nutmeg rubbed on leather. I always wonder what this expression was like 25 years ago or so, and whether it would be my favorite standby. As it is, there is something that keeps me from loving it. Hard to describe, but it seems like a plastic sort of quality in the background and around the edges, and it's as much a texture as a flavor. Maybe an ester thrown off by the yeast? I'd love to know.

Oh yes, this one is a standby for me. I love me some Stagg and other BTAC, Van Winkle and Willett. At the same time I hold a very high regard for WT101. For me it brings a lot of flavor at an absolute bargain price - sub $20 before tax. The last bottle I had, a 375, had an unusually creamy mouthfeel that made it even better than usual. I have a couple of these stashed for easy availability. I've also been hunting down the older age stated bottles and love those quite a bit too. Those are a finite offering and will be cherished, but when gone, I'll still be very happy with the current offering (as long as it stays the same price).

When I began my bourbon journey, I dove into WT with RB which I think is very good but priced a bit high close to $40 around here. I recently realized that I had never tasted WT101, so that had to be rectified. I had the choice of going with a 750 for around $22, 1L for around $28, or go all-in for a 1.75 around $40. So I bought the 1.75. All-in-all, I think WT101 is a very good bourbon, and I can see why it has so many fans (as well as some detractors). It's big, bold and brash, but quite good IMO.

In online searches, I've come across 1.75's of WT101 close to $30 in some parts of the country, which I think is a steal for bourbon of this quality. At the seemingly common price of $20 for a 750, it is worthy of being a staple IMO. Glad I gave it a try.

Along with Dant BIB and KCSB, WT101 is a staple in this house. I always have a bottle on the bar. I love the honey notes that most all WT products have. This one is no exception.

WT101 always in the house. It's just hard to beat for the price, and IMO, it is far better than some pricier bottles.

FWIW, there are a couple bottom and mid-shelfers that I keep in SHORT supply. WT101 is one such. It seems that, when I buy a bottle or two, it's always gone when I go looking for it. If I kept it around, between it and OGD BIB, I'd need a wheelbarrel to haul my liver. I'm only partly kidding - it is that drinkable.

I like WT101. Not the best bourbon, and far from the worst. It kind of sets a bar against which to measure other bourbons as a result. Its quality stuff, proofed right, priced right, and is easily available. Every restaurant or bar you go to is practically guaranteed to stock it, so its always a safe bet when out. For what it is, I can say lots of good stuff about it, and nothing negative.

Solid bourbon. Good price, good proof, and very drinkable. I honestly don't think I've ever bought a bottle, but that's only because it's available everywhere. This is an easy choice over Beam White and Makers when out at a restaurant/bar.

I know WT gets a lot of grief from some folks, and having tasted some dusty WT - I can understand their disappointment. I think that it is a fine bourbon for the money, although the price seems to be creeping. I do find that WT101 is a reliable choice if I'm on the road and their selection is limited. I have picked up several 50mL minis of this in the last year while on the road, as they seem to price that almost the same as EW black label, and it always delivers.

An oddity to me (but a welcome one!) is that some of my favorite mingles using WT101 are more appealing to my palate with the CURRENT stuff. Neat, I prefer the 8yr version - but when mingled - the current version's combination keeps coming up on top.

I have also never purchased a bottle of this but have been gifted airplane bottles on multiple occasions. I've always enjoyed these just fine in hotels or whatnot.

I have not purchased a bottle in years. I did not remember liking it. I purchased a bottle a month ago and it is much better than I remember. Has it changed for the better over the years?

Always gotta have a a bottle of Turkey 101 in the house, opened or not.

BTW, I found a store that had some old label turkey - the years before the current label. Should I have bought it? $25. I knew I should but I just have so much whiskey already and I barely touch WT anymore.

Don't bother yourself with buying up the old label. Just post the name and location of the store and some unselfish SB member will solve the problem

Although I don't have a bottle in the cabinet right now, it's one of my go-to bourbons. The nose reminds me of hard candy (like a bourbon flavored Jolly Rancher), and there's usually plenty of spice at the back end. The last bottle I had really brought the spice. I also enjoy WTRB (smooth as heck for barrel proof), but I think it's a bit overpriced in my area, so I usually hook up with WT101 on a consistent basis.

This. For whatever reason, I have never purchased a multi-serving bottle of WT 101. But since I travel for work, I'll often have it in hotel bars, and from airline minis while in-flight. I do like it well enough as a quality value bourbon when I travel, especially now that my employer has cracked down on expense reports, and will bounce them if there is an itemized entry for booze! :grin: I keep telling myself to grab a bottle for the home bar, so perhaps one day soon...

I have also never purchased a bottle of this but have been gifted airplane bottles on multiple occasions. I've always enjoyed these just fine in hotels or whatnot.

Recently did this blind and was really saddened when it was revealed that the robitussen tasting bourbon was my old favorite wt101.

• I like it 1

Enjoyed it in a blind tasting a couple of years ago. A more recent bottle was solid, but a little too much cereal grain for me to really like. Reminded me of a spicy Jim Beam Black.

Sitting in a bar in Osaka and the 8 and 12 year olds are staring at me. I have some 12 year olds at home, really enjoy it.

WT 8/101 was my go to in college. I won't say exactly when that was but will admit that my major was flint knapping.

Brought home a bottle in 1992 that tasted...different. "Did I accidentally pick up a bottle of rye?" I wondered, and checked the label. Not 8 years old but "Old No. 8 Brand." Haven't bought a bottle of 101 since, although I've purchased other expressions of WT and RR.

Occasionally have ordered it in a bar, those with crappy selection. I'll take it over MM or any JB products.

Had stayed away from it for a long time, for whatever reason it had a bad rep in my circles, but was on vacation last March, decided I wanted a bottle for sipping in the hotel room and this was a reasonably priced option. Found I liked it far better than I thought I would, sort of a classic bourbon taste, spicy but not too much so. Didn't finish the bottle on vacation, but put a good dent in it (hope the maid put the remainder to good use), and followed it up with a 375 for the same purpose on a long weekend type vacation later in the year. I've still never bought a bottle for home, but as others have mentioned it's a good option at a bar that has limited choices. Tried the lower proofed version and it didn't do anything for me, but this thread may prompt me to finally buy a bottle of WT101 for a backup at home. The price is certainly right.

This thread inspired me to give WT101 another go (then another). My opinion of it is certainly on the rise--maybe a few months of air has helped? Went out and bought a family size today that came with a $5 rebate hanger.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.