BOTM 1/15: Wild Turkey 101

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

are they doing rebates again, or is that an expired one from last year?

Just started 1/1/15, ends 6/30/15. Void in HI, IN, TX, and UT. Good on one 750ml or larger.

Just started 1/1/15, ends 6/30/15. Void in HI, IN, TX, and UT. Good on one 750ml or larger.

Haven't seen any in my stores, maybe it's a Wis. kind of thing.

It was one of my first bourbon loves. I got away from it for about 2 years because it seemed much younger and thinner. Over the past year it seems to be back in form. I think it is actually the best thing they make..better than WTRB and Russell's Reserve. I worry what will happen when Jimmy Russell retires though.

I have to say, even though the 'price-creep' worx against it, along with the slightly diminished quality over the last few years; The 101 Turkey is still a solid pour, and I always have at least one on the bar.

That all said, I sure wish we could be drinking some of the 12-year old that isn't available to those of us here in the States (where it's made!)!!!!!

I got a bottle before the new year to try it out, after enjoying Russell's Reserve and a barrel selection of the same. I thought the WT 101 was really quite good. It had a bit of heat beyond what I would consider fully balanced, but I understand that is their desired profile, and the rich flavor was quite nice - enough to make note of it at the time: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?23248-What-bourbon-are-you-drinking-Winter-2014-2015&p=454269&viewfull=1#post454269

As most of you know WT 101 is my daily pour. It has a rich flavor with a bit of a burn to it. The price is right the local liquor store buys it in bulk so they get discount. Which they pass on to the customers. I believe it's their biggest selling hard liquor.

This is a standard go to for me. I had the pleasure of sampling some older age stated 101 from the 80s, DAMN that was great bourbon. The current version lacks the viscous mouthfeel of that 80s 101 but the WT house spiciness keeps me coming back. Great pick for BOTM.

Had several pours last night and will again tonight. It's just so versital. I drink it neat, in me coffee, and in bloody marys. An all-purpose bourbon.

The bottling I have the most experience with is the "Old No. 8 Brand" and it is very good. It's solid, flavorful whiskey that proudly proclaims, "I AM BOURBON," without any bells or whistles. It's also a go-to whenever I'm out since most establishments serve only that, MM, JBW, and JD. It's far and away the best of those. While it may not be the sexiest brand around, it's a solid, everyday workhorse that deserves a place on any bar.

My go to at the local tavern where the bourbon selection is limited. Solid flavor that gets better with a few cubes. Not to many bourbons get better on the rocks in my opinion, but this one can handle it.

I like it and consider it one of the better bourbons in its price range. I don't believe I have owned a bottle for about a year or so. However, I generally have at least one WT product in the cabinet. Right now, I have two - old WTR101 and a new Rare Breed. Before that it was WTKS. Before that it was RR10. So, eventually, I will get back around to WT101.

WT101 was the whiskey that started it all for me. Though I don't drink it as much as I used to, it'll always hold a place in my heart.

Ignore the beer pong cups in the background--this was from a time when I was a volunteer teacher and living in a former convent. My roommates would play beerpong as I sipped whiskey and shook my head at kids these days.

5l9SKIs.jpg

I gave up on WT for a couple two or three years but gave it another chance in '14. This month, I have purchased two handles so far. At 32.99 each, it makes a much more than adequate daily pour.

"WT101 was the whiskey that started it all for me."

That collection of empties makes it look like the whiskey that nearly ended it all as well! :lol:

5l9SKIs.jpg

I need to revisit the WT101. I've got an open bottle but havent had it for atleast a month. I know I like the bold and spiciness in most turkeys but I've been trying to get through a few others.

Nice choice. I am a big WT fan, especially after having a tour with Jimmy Russell. 101 is definitely a solid bourbon, IMO for the price. I like bolder/spicier bourbons and WT tends to fit that bill. Of all the WT, I think I lean more towards Kentucky Spirit (little more expensive). But 101 is a nice starter bourbon for a less expensive drink that has solid flavor.

"WT101 was the whiskey that started it all for me."

That collection of empties makes it look like the whiskey that nearly ended it all as well! :lol:

5l9SKIs.jpg

My wife would kill me if I kept all of my empties. Anyway, WT 101 seems to be in almost every hotel bar I've been in and that's where I drink it mostly if there aren't any more interesting options.

I have tried the 81, It was OK.

I'd love to try the 101 but I don't think they sell it in Canada? :rolleyes:

I gave up on WT for a couple two or three years but gave it another chance in '14. This month, I have purchased two handles so far. At 32.99 each, it makes a much more than adequate daily pour.

Me too FF. It had really started to get too hot over the palate, the mouthfeel was watery thin, and damn near no finish. I gave up on it, and have replaced it with Old Ezra 7yr 101 and Virgin 7yr 101 as my heavy, char-laden, high proof, cut-the-crap bourbon whiskeys. I have been been enjoying the WTRB and the barrel proof Russell's (or whatever that is :D) as my WT fix for a couple of years since. RB hasn't missed a beat, IMO, and the other really been fantastic, at times. I've had a few sips of regular WT at various places since, and seem to remembe having a more favorable opinion of late. Tonight I picked up a bottle on my way into Nashville. Early impressions: The nose is lacking the char filled wood notes that I remember WT having in its heyday, and replaced with a more youngish, fresh cut wood. Not unpleasant, but not what I had hoped for. But, the great change and improvement that I am seeing here, is the return of the thicker mouthfeel. Definitely more oily and buttery. A HUGE improvement. Over the palate is working well, too. The char returns, right after a ping of sweetness on the tip of my tongue. Nice leather, dried spices, and a brittle overtone. Very nice. Finish is back to it's lingering throat clearing self.

All in all, I am happy that this WT appears to be on the way back to the fold. Not all the way (that nose needs improvement), but enough to get back in my rotation. Realistically though, I will still take the Virgin and OE over this, but it's not the landslide it has been.

at around $20 for the 101, its great with a cube and no regrets mixing it. enjoying the rare breed, but this is a nice pour too

WT Old No 8 from the 90's and today's version of WT 101 are world's apart. I adore the old stuff....and the new stuff is varnish. It makes me sad how times have changed.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.