Dusty hunting for non-whiskies (liqueur and liquor)

bmajazz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know, I know, this topic gets covered here and there, but I thought it might be good to have a thread for it.

I'm specifically thinking about liquors and liqueurs (the ones that don't turn rancid, i.e. Campari, Chartreuse, Cointreau etc). For instance, from what I've learned, in about 2007 Campari stopped using natural carmine dye in their product, and the taste is said to have suffered.

Chartreuse has been covered in other threads.. I think the older bottles have a more intense color to them.

I found some Chivas Lochan Ora (scotch liqueur) bottles that must be 30 years old. 70 proof, it seems to be popular for some.. I tried a mini once and it was seriously sweet. I see Wild Turkey Liqueur (the old hexagonal bottles), 80 proof (70?), and pick them up, but haven't opened one yet.

I do see dusty bottles of rum, gin, etc. sometimes. Pusser's, which was highly praised in the "Rum forum" thread, and a bunch of gins that I've never heard of. I'm always game for stuff like Cointreau, especially if it is cheap.

There's often a lot of choices. I'm often on the fence about lower-proof items like Galliano (30 proof). I figure some of them, if cheap, are a good way to stock a bar for cocktails.

What dusty bottles do you look for?

Always looking for dusty Rum, Cognac, Armagnac and Scotch. Have had some good luck with all of the above except the Armagnac.

Never managed to even finish a pour of a liquor as they are too sweet for me so I have passed on all of those I have seen.

• 3 months later...

Aside from malt, I look for dusty DM Chichicappa, especially if its dated rather than lot #.

Haven't had much with non-whiskey dusties except some old blended scotch. Found a gallon of Cutty Sark which was pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a VSOP Remy Martin with a 4-1-89 tax stamp. Don't know much about cognac though. Isn't Remy mass produced plonk?

Found a VSOP Remy Martin with a 4-1-89 tax stamp. Don't know much about cognac though. Isn't Remy mass produced plonk?

Plonk would be in the taste buds of the beholder I suppose but Remy Martin is indeed one of the bigger mass produced houses with plenty of added coloring and boisé for additional sweetness/oak flavor and even more color. That is true of most of the big cognac houses of course (Rémy Martin along with Hennessy, Martell, Couvoisier, Camus, Hine and Frapin).

To avoid the "artificialness" most cognac has you typically have to look for smaller independent bottles which are much less common in the US.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.