50th Birthday Bourbon.

R-Savage
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got a few years before I reach half a century, a little over three to be exact. Would there be a special Bourbon / Whisk(e)y that you would want to open up with friends on your 50th or 60th?

What would it be??

If this has been asked before I apologize. I didn't see it.

On anyone's Birthday the choice should be obvious:

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, of course!

When I turned 50 I wanted a bottle of mcCallan 50 (not bourbon) but discovered I'd have to sell the house. The liquor store suggested two 25s.

yeah I bet that McCallan would be expensive. I know there is one McCallan in a liquor store up here. not sure of the age, buts it is going for a fairly hefty price tag of about 3799.00 CDN. really nice looking bottle.

Here is the bottle

post-12191-14489821927002_thumb.jpg

Edited by R-Savage
adding image

When I turned 50 I wanted a bottle of mcCallan 50 (not bourbon) but discovered I'd have to sell the house. The liquor store suggested two 25s.
Yeah, there's relatively affordable 40 year scotch whisky out there, but 50 year whisky seems to all be in the 4-5+ figure range. Add on another 2-5 figures to that and you get Macallan's premium markup. Even scotch in its mostly reused barrels starts getting overoaked at a certain point (the scotch whisky community just hasnt admitted that to themselves yet), so it is a rare barrel indeed that would make it to 50 and still taste good. Guess it doesn't matter if they spruce up that tired old spirit with some judicious filtering and a neat presentation . . . I'm already shopping around for a bottle of 40+ yr for my 40th birthday, and I'm surprised by the availability of well reviewed bottles under $500.

At any rate, I would try to locate a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition 2013 because it is a favorite of mine. That or some National Distiller Old Grandad.

Edited by garbanzobean

I am starting to do some "planning ahead" for my 50th birthday. I have a little time, but I have found that Glenfarclas "Family Cask" releases are quite affordable for the age statement (and also delicious). I picked up one that was from 1963 and bottled in 2011 and it was priced in the high 3 digits (not quite 50 YO, but close enough). I'm saving that for my 50th. Also, Armagnac can get you a lot of bang for the buck, a 50 year Darroze will run around $400. Lastly, I'm on the hunt for something from my birth year - I think it would be cool to drink something when I'm 50 that was also "born" the same year. In addition to that I will probably raid my bunker and dip into the 30 year Caol Ila I can't seem to get myself to open as well as a few other hidden gems.

Edited by scottonscotch

yeah I bet that McCallan would be expensive. I know there is one McCallan in a liquor store up here. not sure of the age, buts it is going for a fairly hefty price tag of about 3799.00 CDN. really nice looking bottle.

Here is the bottle

That Macallan M is supposedly a blend of older whiskies, probably blended liberally with younger stuff to bring the older casks back up above 40% -- and drag the flavor profile back to something more balanced than "oak bitters."

Balvenie did this really well with their Tun 1401 series, but not using a premium crystal decanter knocked about $4200 off the MSRP vs the Macallan M.

I'd be happy with a bottle of GTS and friends to share it with on any of my birthdays, but if I was looking for something special for my 50th, I'd probably go looking for a dusty bottled or distilled on my birth year.

Glenfarclas does make some wonderful whiskeys.. But for a Special Birthday Bourbon.. Since you have some time.. Go back in your mind and try to remember what you liekd the best in the past.. If there is something harder to find or special.. Why not go with that.. I really liked some of the 20 year old Pappys I had many years ago.. So that would near or at the top of my short list.. I would put 16 Year Hirsch up near the top. But honestly finding any would be almost near impossible today.. I have heard lots or praises for W.L. Weller of the Antique collection and this years George T Stagg and Sazerac were wonderful whiskeys.. Today I bought a 2014 Middleton Very Rare Irish Blended Whiskey just to have one and set aside for something special.. Your going to have fun selecting something special with so many good whiskeys available.. Good luck and Cheers..Creggor

One of my favorite bourbons has been OFBB 2013. I have a bottle left. Maybe I'll hold onto that for something special. My 50th birthday is about 18 years away, so I doubt I'll be able to wait THAT long . . .

I got a few years before I reach half a century, a little over three to be exact. Would there be a special Bourbon / Whisk(e)y that you would want to open up with friends on your 50th or 60th?

What would it be??

This is starting to turn into an interesting thread. I am wanting to plan to see about a nice Whiskey to celebrate with close friends, Whether a Michters 20, or perhaps a nice Penderyn Welsh Whisky perhaps. I don't know.

I am stockpiling bourbons distilled or bottled in my birth year to open on the milestone years

I wish I was smart enough to do this when it was affordable. I am stocking some for my kid's birth years though.

Best regards, Tony

That Macallan M is supposedly a blend of older whiskies, probably blended liberally with younger stuff to bring the older casks back up above 40% -- and drag the flavor profile back to something more balanced than "oak bitters."

Balvenie did this really well with their Tun 1401 series, but not using a premium crystal decanter knocked about $4200 off the MSRP vs the Macallan M.

If anyone wants a 50 year old scotch, try Master of Malt, they have their own 50 year old label that does not disclose the distillery and is under $750.00 USD (I think). Still quite a bit to spend, but for a once in a lifetime experience, it may be worth your while. Who knows, you might even be getting $20,000.00+ discount on a bottle of Macallan :)

I'm considering this purchase for my sister's 50th in a couple years. Since she lives in London, I will be easy - order bottle and pick up at store.

I got a few years before I reach half a century, a little over three to be exact.

You and I must be just about the same age. I'll be 47 in a month. I've actually been thinking about the same thing, and considering putting together a small selection of birthday bottles, then inviting a few close friends over to share on my 50th. The only one so far that I've targeted and been able to buy was a Bowmore from 1968. There are a few I'd like to add to that, including a 1968 Glendronach that comes up at auction from time to time. There's also a Signatory Bowmore that was distilled on the very same day I was born. That one's on my Wishlist at Whiskybase, but I doubt I'll ever cross paths with it. The only other one I'd splurge big on would be a VOF or VVOF that was either distilled or bottled in (not fussy ;)) 1968. If I win the lottery in the next three years ...

Assuming you were born ~1968 you may want to check out this one available in your neck of the woods:

https://www.kensingtonwinemarket.com/search/results.php?query=true

That link didn't work as expected, but I did plug 1968 into their search. All I got back was a list of bottles that were sold out. Which is what happens almost every time I search for something at KWM. :banghead:

Smithford. I was born is sept 69 you and I are on the same page. I have Scotch Drinking Friends and I am the only one that loves bourbon. I used to collect and enjoy Scotch. I am going to see If I can snag a Balvenie tun 1401 batch 8 or 9 or a Balblair 89, with that being said. I MAY!.... try and snag over time a Michters 10 with a Forty Creek Confederation Reserve. I dunno. I'm still deciding

I must go to a liquor store this weekend that have stuff that is a little above the norm and take a peek for my options

Edited by R-Savage
additional info

Good thread. I turned 50 a few months ago and saved an EC 18 for a couple of years and opened it on my birthday to share with my sons. Also had some 4R LE as well. Not extravagant but two of my favorites. Maybe I'll go really big on my 60th.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.