Yellow Spot Whiskey

greatgoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I love Green Spot. I just got a call from my local liquor store that they got 4 bottles of Yellow Spot. The 12 year older brother of Green. Looks to have gotten good reviews. They are selling it for $100, which is retail. Should I grab a bottle? These seem to be more rare than Green Spot which is more hit or miss to find around my parts.

Thanks for any feedback.

I love Green Spot. I just got a call from my local liquor store that they got 4 bottles of Yellow Spot. The 12 year older brother of Green. Looks to have gotten good reviews. They are selling it for $100, which is retail. Should I grab a bottle? These seem to be more rare than Green Spot which is more hit or miss to find around my parts.

Thanks for any feedback.

If you like the Green, absolutely. It's supposedly outstanding. The worst that could happen is that someone will probably be up for a trade. That stuff is rare overseas, and apparently JUST making it into the U.S. I'd heard rumors that it would be stateside soon, so I guess this is confirmation.

There have been rumors that Yellow Spot would be stateside for ages and it never happened. In fact, my wife couldn't even find it at the duty-free shop at Heathrow when she was there this summer, so rare is it in the wild. I drank some last night and it is an outstanding whiskey. Green Spot, at least around here, is $40-$45. Yellow Spot would be better priced at around $80 but given that you cannot get your hands on the stuff, it's worth the extra $20. Buy it!

I've been trying to stretch my bottle for as long as possible but sadly I'm down to my last pour. In fact, it's closer to a half pour which bums me out. Hopefully, the fact that you were able to score some means that it has finally arrived on our shores.post-4091-14489821931869_thumb.jpg

I've been trying to stretch my bottle for as long as possible but sadly I'm down to my last pour. In fact, it's closer to a half pour which bums me out. Hopefully, the fact that you were able to score some means that it has finally arrived on our shores.[ATTACH]20140[/ATTACH]

I have limited experience with Irish whiskey. Where would you put yellow spot against others?

Growing up in an Irish neighborhood in Queens, I've probably consumed about as much Irish whiskey as anyone I've ever met but I still would have trouble answering that question. Remember, like many Irish whiskeys, their charm lies in their subtleties. Yellow Spot is one of the better options in its price range, though I love Redbreast Cask Strength and several others just as much. Don't expect to be bowled over. This is one to sip and savor. Enjoy!

I have limited experience with Irish whiskey. Where would you put yellow spot against others?

Yellow Spot is perhaps most similar to Redbreast 12. Both are 12 yo whiskey made by Midleton Distillery using an identical single pot still mashbill (A mix of approximately 60/40 malted and unmalted barley). The difference, much like any other whiskey coming from the same source, is the barrel management. Redbreast is finished in a combination of used bourbon and oloroso sherry barrels.

Yellow Spot has the addition of Malaga wine casks to the bourbon and sherry barrels (which may be in a different ratio to what is used in Redbreast), all of which contributes to making it a different, slightly sweeter tasting whiskey.

Would be delighted if it is in fact now in the US. But it is probably pretty limited and may still not reach Georgia anytime soon if ever unfortunately.

it is also a little higher proof than most Irish Whiskey at 92 pf. The Redbreast is 80 pf although it is also a bit cheaper at around $60-65.

Powers John's Lane is another good comparison as it is at 12yo, 92 proof and from the same Midleton single pot still mashbill. Like Redbreast it is a combination of ex bourbon and sherry casks but with less sherry and more of a barrel character profile with lots of vanilla notes and leather tones as compared to the sweeter profile of the Yellow Spot.

Yellow Spot is probably around $70-80 without VAT in London if you can even find it so $100 isn't too terrible I suppose. $80 would be more tolerable of course!

Got some confirming reports that Yellow Spot is at least partially out in other states, too. I go through about one bottle of Irish whiskey a year, so I'll be sitting this one out. Happy hunting, y'all.

A co-worker, who likes whiskey but is far from an enthusiast, asked me if I liked this one because he saw a clever ad for it. I've never had it, but it must be a sign that they're serious about promoting it here if my non-enthusiast friend saw an ad that was memorable enough to make him ask me about it.

it is also a little higher proof than most Irish Whiskey at 92 pf. The Redbreast is 80 pf although it is also a bit cheaper at around $60-65.

Powers John's Lane is another good comparison as it is at 12yo, 92 proof and from the same Midleton single pot still mashbill. Like Redbreast it is a combination of ex bourbon and sherry casks but with less sherry and more of a barrel character profile with lots of vanilla notes and leather tones as compared to the sweeter profile of the Yellow Spot.

Yellow Spot is probably around $70-80 without VAT in London if you can even find it so $100 isn't too terrible I suppose. $80 would be more tolerable of course!

I tasted this briefly a few years ago and it reminded me very much of the John's Lane. I like the PJL but it is just about as sweet as I can take so with the YS at $25 more and with a sweeter profile, I'd just as soon pick up a PJL. But what this thread has really made me realize is that I need more RB 15 in my life.

I tasted this briefly a few years ago and it reminded me very much of the John's Lane. I like the PJL but it is just about as sweet as I can take so with the YS at $25 more and with a sweeter profile, I'd just as soon pick up a PJL. But what this thread has really made me realize is that I need more RB 15 in my life.

I tend to prefer the RB12CS over the RB15 for a little less sweetness but I don't know if I have ever encountered a bottle (of anything) that was too sweet!

Binny's pricing here:

Redbreast Cask 12-$64.99

Powers John Lane-$64.99

Redbreast 12 Cask-$69.99

Redbreast 15-$79.99

Yellow Spot-$99.99

I gave Yellow Spot the slighest edge over #2 PJL in an Irish tasting (with Aaron and others-iirc), and not saying that maybe I was influenced then by it's rarity and always wished for the day it would be here. But now, hmm, $35 edge? Oh...the dilemma :grin:.

I tend to prefer the RB12CS over the RB15 for a little less sweetness but I don't know if I have ever encountered a bottle (of anything) that was too sweet!

The 15 seemed to have more sherry influence, and definitely more depth than the CS12. I really, really liked the first batch of the CS stuff, but the last time I tasted a more recent batch I was less impressed. I thought the 15 evolved somewhat dramatically over time and by the time I finished my bottle, it was on par with if not if not superior to the CS IMO.

Yeah, I'm not much of a sweet tooth guy.

Binny's pricing here:

Redbreast Cask 12-$64.99

Powers John Lane-$64.99

Redbreast 12 Cask-$69.99

Redbreast 15-$79.99

Yellow Spot-$99.99

I gave Yellow Spot the slighest edge over #2 PJL in an Irish tasting (with Aaron and others-iirc), and not saying that maybe I was influenced then by it's rarity and always wished for the day it would be here. But now, hmm, $35 edge? Oh...the dilemma :grin:.

Yeah, a $35 difference is a deal breaker for me. Until I do a proper SBS...

Binny's pricing here:

Redbreast Cask 12-$64.99

Powers John Lane-$64.99

Redbreast 12 Cask-$69.99

Redbreast 15-$79.99

Yellow Spot-$99.99

I presume the first line is the regular 80 proof Redbreast and not cask strength? For a $5 difference the RB12 CS is pretty much a no brainer for me over regular RB12!

I will likely keep a Yellow Spot around even with the excessive price compared to RB12CS & PJL (mostly just because!) but the difference in cost will make it a less regular pour to be sure. I suppose the relative rarity and quasi mystique allows them to get more for it but it really shouldn't be that much more expensive. Maybe $80-85 tops.

Will likely continue to keep an eye out overseas for it although I have to remember to take into consideration the 700/750 ml difference too. But that should just be about a $5 difference I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Grabbed one today as they were putting them out on the shelf. $100. Love the Redbreast CS, so I'm happy to have found some. Doubt they will last long on the shelf. At $100, I need to get the feel of it before I get more for the bunker.

Grabbed one today as they were putting them out on the shelf. $100. Love the Redbreast CS, so I'm happy to have found some. Doubt they will last long on the shelf. At $100, I need to get the feel of it before I get more for the bunker.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm interested in what you think. Do you like green spot?

It's starting to pop up in several places in Texas. I'm picking up a bottle on Friday.

For those of you who are really hunting and can't find it, if you live in a state they'll ship to, you can order it from Caskers.

It's starting to pop up in several places in Texas. I'm picking up a bottle on Friday.

For those of you who are really hunting and can't find it, if you live in a state they'll ship to, you can order it from Caskers.

Caskers sold out of it in less than 24 hours which was interesting to see the demand for it.

Caskers sold out of it in less than 24 hours which was interesting to see the demand for it.

I'd be careful about judging demand based on Caskers selling out. They seem to be pretty well-versed at how to play on the perceptions of limited availability, among other things. (The whiskey that beat Pappy!!)

This has been sitting on the shelves of Binny's for months. Not to say they haven't sold any, just that every time I visit there's always a stack next to green spot. So if you're interested...

I'd be careful about judging demand based on Caskers selling out. They seem to be pretty well-versed at how to play on the perceptions of limited availability, among other things. (The whiskey that beat Pappy!!)

This has been sitting on the shelves of Binny's for months. Not to say they haven't sold any, just that every time I visit there's always a stack next to green spot. So if you're interested...

According to Caskers, Green Spot is the Irish Pappy.

According to Caskers, Green Spot is the Irish Pappy.

Indeed it is but one of thousands of whiskys that have tied or beat Pappy that Caskers will be happy to sell you for a mere 150% of MSRP.

Both Yellow and Green showed up at my local independent store this week on the S. side of Chicago. I haven't delved into Irish whiskey too much, but am debating making a purchase out of curiosity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.