When the nose knows...

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey guys, tonight just gave me this idea for this thread, we just tried some old dusty JBW, and right off the bat the nose was very musty, as I stated in another thread... like some old playboy magazines that were in your attic for years... well we went in anyways and totally regretted it....it tasted the same, and the rest of the evenings pours were ruined. Couldn't get that taste out of my mouth, as I am writing this I can still taste it..and that's after some WR Double oaked, and some GTS.

So... any you guys ever done the same, not trusted your nose and went in anyways? If so what was it?

This was the first whisky that I have ever dumped out...with no hesitation what so ever!!!

I've dumped a couple but not for the nose. The taste was just awful, which I suppose can be partly nose related.

One of my issues with young whiskey, is the nose. I'm talking barely straight bourbon, which I've had from a couple micros. I get lots of fresh baked bread, yeast, in both the nose and in tasting. I find that very off putting. I do however, look forward to trying them again, when they are 4-6 years old.

Never had one that was actually foul on the nose, though I've had more than a few that were somewhat-to-quite-disappointing.

If I ever did sniff one that was truly nasty, I guess I'd probably offer it as trial to somebody with whom I had a score to settle... HA! Kidding! I'd probably dump it.

I found out the hard way that if you don't completely rinse/wash your glass at the end of the night, and leave it in the car (which is in the sun), and the following day are curious what that little smudge of brown paint-like substance at the bottom might smell like . . . . DON'T. One whiff @#$% my nose/palate for the rest of the evening. At the house, I sometimes enjoy that last sniff the next morning from a glass that had sat out all night. But now I tread very lightly in that department

any you guys ever done the same, not trusted your nose and went in anyways? If so what was it?

are we talking only bourbon here?

I'd go in on the bourbon if its a cool old dusty, but if I'm smellin' some old dusty funk anywhere else, no thanks.

Sounds like it was corked. I've had way too many bottles of wine that were corked, but never a spirit, though. I believe it is some bacteria that gets in the cork and taints the whole bottle.

No, it doesn't have to be just bourbon...

All I can say is I learned a valuable lesson the other night, if it smells off,, I'm not tasting it, which for the most part of my life I usually have trusted my nose, but being this was some dusty juice, I thought it might be different...WRONG! I woke up the next day and that's all I could smell in the room was that musty smell, it sort of scared me away from trying anymore of those old bottles that I have, including another JBW from '68.

But I'll get over it and eventually try one again.

As far as being corked, this was a small 50 ml bottle ..no cork.

You know, that '76 Beam's Choice I found at my parent's house last summer has a powerful nose that absolutely fills the room. It even filled the front porch with it's smell on a breezy night no less. I've never experienced that current bourbons. Luckily for me, the smell is good (though very different) and the taste was (though very different). I bring this up to speculate that there's something present in the older bourbons that is not present now. I talked to michaelturtle1 about this last year and he believes it's the esters that now get filtered out in the distillations process but were present in the older ones.

I've not ever been put off by nose, and sometimes been surprised when nose very misleading. a mild nose with strong flavor and vice-versa. but know what ya mean by taste hanging around. about 35 years ago had a grappa that tasted like kerosene, and taste stayed for days. can still taste it when thinking about it.

As far as being corked, this was a small 50 ml bottle ..no cork.

I remember Ralfy saying that minis can have this exact issue - cardboard taste is what he called it. Maybe due to the liner disc in the lid?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.