New Wild Turkey Master's Keep, bottled at 86.8 proof

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbonr Blog has posted the newly approved label for a new WT limited expression. It's called Master's Keep. It's 17 y/o and bottled at...wait for it...86.8 proof. That's right, even lower than the languishing Diamond Anniversary.

http://bourbonr.com/blog/wild-turkey-release-17-yo-bourbon/

I think the proof is insulting and shows very little regard for WT's customer base. There's no justifying a product at that price (judging by Diamond Anniversary it should be $150+) bottled at such a low proof. Hell, even Old Blowhard is higher. For years Wild Turkey has set itself apart by offering its bourbons at a higher proof than most of the competition. It seems like Campari has decided to throw that heritage in the garbage, which also happens to be the only suitable place for the 81 proof rye.

Anyway, rant over. Anybody else want to pile on?

Good to see Campari continuing to piss on wild turkeys magnificent reputation. I am sure the Russell's will stand there, smile, say how wonderful of a product this is and collect a pay check... Truly a shame, maybe they can release an 81 proof version next year because you know that's what the bartenders want.

Outside of a store selection of WTKS last year, I have taken to adding rye to the most recent WT101 and WTRB just to add flavor.

Any current WT product is on my "suspect" list.

Well, if this is worth anything, I have some dusty WT 86.8 that is very fine whiskey... :D

It seems like Campari has decided to throw that heritage in the garbage, which also happens to be the only suitable place for the 81 proof rye.

This is clearly exactly what we need. Another high priced bottle to help distract the status conscious while the rest of us make off with any good values that might lurk in the store!

Huge load of horse crap this is. If they are targeting the enthusiast market, they are certainly on the right track with the age. But they have to know better on the proof. I know I've only been at this for a little over a year, but it seems to me that the drinkers who prefer 80-86 proof also prefer bottom shelf prices. The price point on this one will surely be ultra premium. Exactly who are they targeting with this? Baffling.

Oh good - another high priced, limited-edition bottling I can walk by and laugh at! :lol:

I realize they're not targeting folks like us, but I'm scratching my head to figure out who they ARE going after? It isn't like their last LE venture flew off the shelves (I still see them all over the country). I think their marketing people should be seriously re-evaluated. I'm not in "the business", but my guess is that a price tag of $150ish probably cuts out a large majority of the market, leaving enthusiasts and people with a lot of disposable income. These are both fairly small markets, and the second is fairly diverse. And those people want to feel like they're buying a GOOD product (so if the reviews come in trashing it, they won't buy it!) I know it isn't all about us, but when you're doing a limited edition bottling - we probably should be your target market (or more specifically, John Hansel and crew, whiskey bloggers, etc - many of whom are members here).

While I'm disappointed, I do hope to get a taste from someone else's bottle to confirm suspicions. Who knows - maybe it will be really good whiskey? While I definitely prefer higher proof bottlings, I'd by lying if I said I never had some amazing whiskey below 90 proof (although I've never paid what I suspect they'll be asking for whiskey at that proof!)

Better deep discount those Diamond shelfturds or there won't be any room!

HAHAHA!!! 'Shelfturds'??? :slappin: I fell off my chair and am having convulsive laughter fits. Your evaluation is not untrue; but very funny!

I was among the lucky multitude that was able to taste the 'diamond' and thus knew well-enough to pass it by. I hope to do the same with this latest offering; and expect the same result.

While we need to keep in mind that the proof on TTB label submissions is only a place keeper this doesn't look good. Welcome to the Eddie era at Turkey.

Just give em the bird. As it appears many have with Forgiven and Diamond. They continue in last place among the majors in the bourbon buzz department. With the same marketing that brought us, in this hyper aware time-Small Batch Single Barrel.

My memory may be foggy, but I don't recall ever being insulted by the proof of a whiskey.

The next time I spent 150.00 on a bottle of bourbon will be the first time. The entire industry is overheated so I'm glad I got in and out of the premium game early.

Edited by callmeox

A) I don't buy/drink anything less than 90 proof and B) WT's marketing must have come to the conclusion that we are all a bunch of dimwits.

They're not dummies so I expect we're seeing a repeat of the single malt model, which is to say promote the brand and keep the price up while gradually reducing proof.

I really don't care about the proof, it's the flavors in the bottle that are the determining factor.

WT DOES go into the barrel at the lowest proof of al the majors unless I'm mistaken. So there is the possibility that they can get the punch and flavor of higher proof iterations at lower proof although that certainly wasn't the case with the Diamond or with the 81 proof.

IF this is another watered down tasting "beginner bourbon" at a premium price point like Diamond then I'll have to wonder what they are bottling that the younger Russell is proud of. Judgement withheld on this new release till after a couple of tastes.

I'm guessing they spent some time experimenting with exactly how low they could go with the proof while retaining some semblance of flavor. They need to stretch out those 17yr old barrels as much as they can.

With due respect I don't believe Mr. Russell has any choice in what's bottled.

The local WT distributor travels and talks with both Jimmy and Eddie regularly and all he heard for months was how great Diamond was going to be and how Eddie was taking his time and really finding the very best barrels for it. On several occasions Eddie told our rep that he really had something special on the way that the enthusiasts would love. Sure sounded like it was his baby and he was proud of it.

I wonder if retailers will be in a hurry to stock their shelves with this, considering Diamond is STILL languishing and taking up space. Then again, I wonder if they have a choice in the matter or if they have to keep their distributors happy regardless.

On several occasions Eddie told our rep that he really had something special on the way that the enthusiasts would love.

Eddie was enthusiastic about Forgiven as well but of course that was just an accident.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.