2014 frsb le

mountaineervol
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If this is in the wrong spot, I apologize.

I found a FRSB LE 2014 for $157 including shipping online. I really like the FRSB profile and have a store select barrel proof that I really enjoy as well. My question is, with the single barrel LE not being offered anymore, is this opportunity worth the money? My fiancée, who really likes the FRSB obviously says no way, but I haven't seen this in a store to compare prices. I appreciate your advice.

I found a 2013 SBLE on a store shelf. I think the price was around $70-$75. People have talked the LEs so much. It turned out to be the most expensive single bottle I've bought. I thought it was ok, but I didn't enjoy it more than the retailer selected single barrels I've tried. I think it was a bit over 13 years old. That's maybe 3 or 4 years more than most of their single barrels.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?22587-2014-Four-Roses-LE-Single-Barrel

Plenty of info in the above. If you have had the F yeast and like the F yeast, you will likely like the LESB and it will be worth it to you to taste the difference between the PS and LE. If you haven't tried the F yeast, my suggestion would be to save your money and grab a private selection. Don't get me wrong, the 14 LESB is very good, but paying double to 3 times the private selection price seems like a steep increase vs the flavor in the bottle.

I have never found the FRSB LEs to be worth the premium over private selection bottles. The PSs are always a far better value and sometimes better outright than the LEs in my opinion.

bought the 2013 for $45 off the shelf. If you want something picked by the Rutledge and you have the money to spend do it, go for it, if its going to in any way be a strain, save your money and get a store selection of the same recipe.

The single barrel LE is very specific profile so . . . Make sure it's something that will be enjoyed.

2013 I love it. 2014 still trying to like it but difficult even after a whole bottle.

I had a chance to test this as best as one could last spring. Had a 2014 LESB and a very similar gift shop pick. Both were presumably selected by Mr. Rutledge so they likely both met with his approval.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?21599-Wednesday-Tastings!&p=426740&viewfull=1#post426740

While the LE was the consensus pick everyone agreed it was close and the better value bottle in terms of cost, even at MSRP, was the gift shop pick. The LE series is a tricky one since it is a single barrel and while they are no doubt picked to be similar profiles there can obviously be some variation among bottles from different barrels.

Thanks for the replies. Based off the responses, I think I will hold off on this one for now. Maybe I'll regret it down the road, but I think more store picks of different mashbills to broaden my horizons would serve me better.

I believe that you are probably better off buying two store selections for less money. You could always purchase the same recipe as the LE, if available locally. I had a chance to buy the 2014 SB LE at MSRP. I opted to buy a store select OESF instead. I am glad that I did since I was able to buy another bottle and walked out the door paying only slightly more for two bottles.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Definitely seek out the G.S. or PSSBs and save your $$. The G.S. and PS bottles I have had easily rival the LEs unless of course you must have that LE bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.