A little bit of an over-pour

gohrmund
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was back home to Wisconsin this past weekend and and did some bar hopping. I left the state 22 years ago and really didn't go into the bars much, mostly due to being under age and when legal I was only a bad beer drinking.

So I stop in the local hot spot, in the middle of no-where Wisconsin, all they had was Jack, Jim, and MM. So I ask for a MM on the rocks, I get 4 pieces of the small bar ice and then they fill the 10 ounce rocks glass to the rim with MM. They charged me 8 bucks. I was shocked but I went back each day I was in the area.

They said no one really drinks straight or on the rocks, but that is the standard pour. In Tampa that kind of pour would have been 30 bucks.

Anyway, new hope to learn and make some friends.

Gary

I have a bar like that and when I ask for WT101 (other bottles are MM & JBW) they fill it to the brim, $6.

on

Damn! :bigeyes: You boys are LUCKY! :lol: I've occasionally had an extra 1/2 ounce or so slipped in, especially after a tip in the jar; but never anything like this. I wonder if the owner knows what the barkeep is doing? :smiley_acbt:

Wisconsin is a great place to drink at a bar. The best bars are in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin, usually with the "Welcome Hunters" Miller Beer banner proudly displayed out front. You won't get the best bourbon, but they usually pour generously!

Dang gohrmund and TT!! That's some good cheap drinking! If I had a place I could get that much MM or WT101 that cheap it would be a mainstay.

This has happened twice to me (both of which I think I have mentioned before):

1. Went to a benefit with a cash bar. They had Crown XR for $8. When I ordered it the girl filled an 8 oz (or so) glass with ice. When I said no ice she proceeded to fill the glass up anyway with whiskey. Only needed to order one.

2. Kenny Chesney pre-show party had a cash bar. MM for about $7/2 oz pour. I asked the girl if she had a tip jar and she said they were not allowed. So I suggested she put a cup behind the bar and I would let her keep the change each time I ordered. Last call before the concert I asked her to put it in a plastic cup so I could carry it to the arena. She grabbed a 16 oz beer cup and filled it to the brim for $7. Said I took care of her so she would take care of me. Needless to say I don't remember much about the concert

There is a new place opening up I hear in Wisconsin. Suppose to have 80 beers on tap, 200 bottles, not sure about spirits though. It's on the border of two cities, something like that, one of those areas is suppose to be really nice, but the other not so.

Edited by MTNBourbon

Gotta love the overpour! I had a place recently filling up my glass with GTS 140prf ...yowza

I know there's value in the overpour but as a strictly neat-drinker, I'm not a fan - it just doesn't look appetizing to me. My BIL uses a pint glass for his scotch pours. Granted, he adds water and ice, but it still makes me cringe as he fills it to the top.

An exception would be at a concert or other crowded event where it takes 20 minutes to get a beverage. Then, yes, fill 'er up so I don't have to come back again that night.

I'm always appreciative of a nice overpour! To remedy the lack of these fine gestures, I've taken to keeping a flask on hand to reduce my downtime between drinks.:grin:

I'm always appreciative of a nice overpour! To remedy the lack of these fine gestures, I've taken to keeping a flask on hand to reduce my downtime between drinks.:grin:

Uh, excuse me sir, no outside food/beverage allowed! :grin:

The secret is Seal-a-Meal flask. Easy to use and disposable.

My wife and I stopped at a local tavern last weekend after 4 hours of looking at houses. They had Firestone Walker Double Jack on tap (on of my favorites), so I ordered that, plus as glass of water. Waitress brings my wife's beer, but asked what my order was again. "Double jack, plus water".

Yup, she brings a rocks glass, filled with a double of Jack, plus a touch of water. Umm, ma'am, Firestone Walker Double Jack is what I ordered. I've no doubt that many bad words were said in her mind, but she just laughed at it and said no problem - enjoy the other double Jack too!

First time in a while I've had Jack, but not too bad. Especially on the house!

Out in the sticks in Wisconsin early yesterday evening, stopped in a spot that had Makers 46 as the best bourbon I could see. Asked for a pour with "a couple of cubes". Bartender got out a good-sized rocks glass, put in a couple of cubes, and filled the glass up. A majorly hearty pour. My wife ordered a brandy Old Fashioned (this is Wisconsin, after all), total charge was $9.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.