Blood Oath

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If all bourbons were GTS, or PVW23, or ...(you get the idea), life would be kinda boring.

I am ready to risk such a boring life...

I wouldn't say that dcbt's attitude about this is "holier than thou", it's expressing skepticism about a blend of three young sourced bourbons being sold for $90.

Some people here are curious enough to pay that money and take a chance, and good on them for doing a service for the rest of us by trying it and reporting the results. I haven't seen a single veteran yet say it was worth the money (I could be wrong, but that's my recollection). The only people I see thinking it's awesome and worth are those new to the hobby. I'm not going to argue with what their taste buds tell them, however, they don't have the breadth of experience for a proper frame of reference with which to compare BO. What many of them do have is an insatiable thirst for Limited Edition whiskeys and an inability to attain them at MSRP so bourbons like this fill that void making it easier to justify the price.

Well said Steve. If I could any advice to bourbon "newbies" it would be to avoid the "LE's" and high shelf offerings and start off with bottom or mid-shelf bottles from true distillers.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of you know I will buy a bottle of anything (to take one for the team)...... But this is no doubt the worst purchase I have made in my bourbon history.

If you are on the fence about buying this do not buy it, it sucks......Just my opinion.

post-9285-14489822683448_thumb.jpg

Most of you know I will buy a bottle of anything (to take one for the team)...... But this is no doubt the worst purchase I have made in my bourbon history.

If you are on the fence about buying this do not buy it, it sucks......Just my opinion.

Thanks for the honest report!

Your willingness to take chances has paid off in the past as I recall. I have a Willett 23yr old that I love because of that.

I have nothing against anyone who buys Blood Oath. But personally, I would feel like an even bigger doofus than I probably am if I paid a huge premium to let someone else vat a few (normally) moderately priced spirits together--unless that individual is a true genius at finding shit that is amazingly better than the sum of its parts. Unfortunately (or fortunately, so far as my wallet is concerned), from what I have read whoever came up with BO is not such a genius. I would probably have tried it at $20, but not a penny over.

I have nothing against anyone who buys Blood Oath. But personally, I would feel like an even bigger doofus than I probably am if I paid a huge premium to let someone else vat a few (normally) moderately priced spirits together--unless that individual is a true genius at finding shit that is amazingly better than the sum of its parts. Unfortunately (or fortunately, so far as my wallet is concerned), from what I have read whoever came up with BO is not such a genius. I would probably have tried it at $20, but not a penny over.

Someone will buy it, they always do.

They already have!

Just wasn't me this time. Yet...

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one a couple months ago but haven't worked up the curiosity to try it. I'm becoming more like squire, these days I enjoy the $20 ones as much or more than the premiums. If we all pay more attention to the guru, we too can find zen.

• 9 months later...

I always enjoy the $30 bourbons the best (wellers, OGD 114, Eagle Rare), not sure why I always fall for buying the new expensive bottles, but I do.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's my bourbon buying motto from now on, no more trying expensive bourbon before reading reviews from the pros.

P.S. - it was pretty good, but not worth the money as always

North Carolina is a wasteland if you are trying to find LE bourbons.  Blood Oath sits on the shelves of ABC stores across the state.

• 1 month later...
On Saturday, August 08, 2015 at 9:06 PM, LCWoody said:

image.jpg

I'm with you my man I will try any bourbon I haven't tryed, I gots problems. But anyways I bought a bottle of the batch 2, and it's good but for 90 bucks and my wife's dirty looks, it wasn't all that. On to the next bottle they market to this sucker :o I would like to try the batch 1 tho, hahaha see I gots problems 

Edited by NuttyFinish

• 1 month later...

OMG... I passed on this today at $99... both girls behind the counter said it was getting great reviews and the guys buying it are coming back for second bottles. Then one girl showed me the "fancy wood box"... I paid for my OWA and made a hasty exit!

The second release (Pact Two or whatever the hell it is called) is getting genuinely good reviews from some relatively impartial sources.  Its not enough to make me give a hoot, but owl be surprised if it doesn't fly off the shelves.  Actually now that I made a KY owl joke I think I mixed the reviews I read of them up.  Oh well.  I'm sure someone will swoop in and provide great wisdom shortly.

Anyway Faust's bourbon is now available here in Maryland, or at least the wooden boxes are.  I didn't actually see any bottles as I don't plan on buying this product.  I like Heaven Hill's prices for their whiskey a lot better than Luxco's.

39 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Its not enough to make me give a hoot, but owl be surprised if it doesn't fly off the shelves.

Well played sir.

I've also seen the good reviews for Owl, but I still don't see it being worth the price. Someone taking average barrels of bourbon (that aren't that old and that nobody else wanted) and managing to get something good out of a blend does not warrant the prices they charge. Same goes for Blood Oath. I'll pass every time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.