Blood Oath

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

$65-70 seems to be the going rate in Texas. I've seen it at three different stores.

I'd give it a shot at $30.
I'd be willing to go as high as $35 for a one time try.

• 2 weeks later...

Tasted a sample and it's a clear pass for me at retail. Not sure my "value" it's not awful, but probably a $30 bottle for me. Watch the "Sipp'n Corn" Blog, he will have an interesting comparison post coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a bottle of this and was not impressed with the first pour so I let it sit for a week. It still sucks. Time to divide it up into samples to give out.

Not to threadjack, but thay sipn corn review mentioned noah's mill is a 4 grain. That's the first time I've heard that, not sure that's true is it?

In any event, I passed on Blood Oath numerous times in the past few months. Meh.

Not to threadjack, but thay sipn corn review mentioned noah's mill is a 4 grain. That's the first time I've heard that, not sure that's true is it?

The Willett tour guides have been suggesting that there's wheated bourbon in the vatting for current Noah's Mill. Not sure if that's always the case or how long it has been.

Re. Noah's Mill having some 'wheater' in it....

I heard it from Hunter Chavanne (a family member of the Willett extended family... and sales guy for the KBD) several years ago. He wouldn't give details; but told me N.M. had standard 'rye' Bourbons along with some 'wheater' in the mix.

This was in '12, if I remember correctly.

I will "third" the motion as I have also had a tour guide tell me that there's a small amount of wheater in NM. Heard this last year in June.

I will "third" the motion as I have also had a tour guide tell me that there's a small amount of wheater in NM. Heard this last year in June.

Ah, just nothing like mystery bourbon! Kinda like Cracker Jacks, a new surprise in every bottle... :skep:

(Which admittedly has never kept me from buying them.)

Ah, just nothing like mystery bourbon! Kinda like Cracker Jacks, a new surprise in every bottle... :skep:

(Which admittedly has never kept me from buying them.)

True, true but in my case the surprise is always a let down.

True, true but in my case the surprise is always a let down.

Well, I can't say it was always the case but certainly that is the case more often than not! Still, I keep hoping... :grin:

I tasted this a couple days ago, and found it truly awful.

Now, that could have been because I had just had some Private Selection 4R beforehand, so take that into consideration.

It just tasted hot (and I'm a fan of higher proof stuff), with almost no sweetness. Not even an oakiness, just a dryness that kind of made you want to clear your throat.

I didn't really detect any flavor notes you typically look for (Caramel, Fruit, Mint... nope, nope, nope...).

Maybe it would have stood up better if not following the stellar 4R, but I don't even want to go back for another pour.

It is hard to drink something else and give it a fair tasting when you've been sipping on any 4RPS.

It is hard to drink something else and give it a fair tasting when you've been sipping on any 4RPS.

Indeed good sir. I concur with this assessment.

Though I'm partial to 4R (obviously) and skeptical about Blood Oath, generally speaking for me, any standard proof whiskey has a good chance to taste bland if it immediately follows a barrel proof whiskey.

Indeed good sir. I concur with this assessment.

Though I'm partial to 4R (obviously) and skeptical about Blood Oath, generally speaking for me, any standard proof whiskey has a good chance to taste bland if it immediately follows a barrel proof whiskey.

I wouldn't have called it bland, just bad... bland would have been better

I grabbed a bottle yesterday for $80. Between this and losing on the Belmont Stakes I might be a sucker; but I've staring at it long enough for months to say fuck it. Maybe I'll open it, if I'm bored.

I hate putting this in the premium section, but so be it. It's officially a race to the bottom; consumers will buy anything. I guess if anyone is too lazy to vat up OGD114, MM, and EC12, you can pay $90 for Luxco to do it for you...

http://www.bourbonbanter.com/bourbon-banter/blood-oath-bourbon-announced-luxco/

"This product is an exquisite union of three well-bred bourbons with various age statements and mash bills. The first, a spicy bourbon with a mash bill favoring rye, barrel aged for a subtle woodiness. The second is a smooth, wheated bourbon and the third is a full-bodied, more experienced, oaky bourbon with a rye-based mash. Each of these complement the other and none overpower the palate, creating an amazing bourbon.â€

Remember Beta tapes? Laser Disc? Commodore? Atari?

This "holier than thou" attitude really doesn't make anything better. Be glad that someone out there is spending all their money on this & not the stuff you want to drink.

• 1 month later...

I had a sample of Blood Oath a few weeks ago and thought it was different and interesting. Spicy. Left a nice tingle on my lips for a few minutes. The bottle is nice too.

Is it worth $80-90? No, but I paid it. If all bourbons were GTS, or PVW23, or ...(you get the idea), life would be kinda boring. BO isn't for everyone, but I like it. I would've been happier paying half of what I did. If you have the chance, give it try. Just don't let it follow a bourbon that you love. It will never measure up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.