Sorghum whiskey

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A few years ago there was a discussion regarding alternative grains for whiskey and sorghum came up.

Here is a current sorghum whiskey:

http://www.bottlesociety.com/products/265-brown-dog-whiskey

"Brown Dog is distilled form Wisconin grown Sweet Sorghum."

Not clear if sorghum grain is being used vs syrup (rum) but I would assume grain if "whiskey".

It is very young and enhanced with chestnut, apple and cherry wood (staves I assume).

Was gifted a bottle of Chinese Sorghum whiskey a few years ago. Lovely ceramic bottle. Charming and delicate ribbon around it. The spirit inside actually smelled like vomit and when you held your breath to actually try a taste it was nothing you wanted to taste twice.

Lets hope these guys come up with something better.

All the sorghum whiskey I have heard tastes like crap, but only because it was never given the chance to have similar specs that modern day bourbon, rye or wheat get.

I think, given how richly flavored sorghum is compared to corn (its like a cornier version of corn) that it would make a fantastic whiskey. I bet you a mash-bill of 75% sorghum, 15% rye and 10% malted barley, aged for around 7-8 years and sold at a respectable proof and you would have something bourbon couldn't compete with.

But since it doesn't exist, the probability for me to be wrong is very great.

All the sorghum whiskey I have heard tastes like crap, but only because it was never given the chance to have similar specs that modern day bourbon, rye or wheat get.

I think, given how richly flavored sorghum is compared to corn (its like a cornier version of corn) that it would make a fantastic whiskey. I bet you a mash-bill of 75% sorghum, 15% rye and 10% malted barley, aged for around 7-8 years and sold at a respectable proof and you would have something bourbon couldn't compete with.

But since it doesn't exist, the probability for me to be wrong is very great.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.