What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night a sbs with WT101 and WR. I do like the smoothness of the Woodford but the Wild Turkey just blows it away with spicey goodness that hits right in my wheelhouse.

Costing less doesn't hurt either.

Made Ritt BiB Old Fashioneds for the Mad Men premiere Sunday evening. 6 more to go, I'll need more Luxardo cherries!

It's been a tiring, slog of a work week and I've been bouncing between Ritt, WP, the Ritt/WP blend and Dickel most evenings. Working on the WP at present.

Finishing up with a DSP-1 Rittenhouse BIB. Out-Friggin'-Standing! Soooo much less Bourbony than the 354 distilled rye, and is right in my rye wheelhouse. The herbal and vegetal flavors are beautiful, and give this brand so much more character than the B-F distilled iteration. If the new 6 yr 101 Pikesville brings more eye watering punch to my snout, this could challenge Handy/Baby Saz as my #1.

After a quick visit from a Bourbonian of the Year and her lesser half:lol:, finishing up the night with a pour of Redemption 10. MGP rye turned up to 11! Overpriced but really really good. For me echos of the famed "old ryes". Not in their league, but AA or maybe AAA.

Drank a glass of WP 10/100 last night. My bottle has a fair amount of black sediment/char at the bottom. I'm not sure how common this is. I made sure that I swirled sufficiently last night so that it was mixed into my pour. Maybe it was the power of suggestion but I swear I tasted more oak and char in it last night. When I finished, the empty glass smelled strongly of wet oak (in a good way).

I really loved the pour last night and this was interesting because I was very unimpressed with the last couple pours I had from this bottle.

I don't get in rye moods very often, but when I do, it comes out of nowhere and nothing else will do. Tonight is one of those nights, and I'm dipping into a SAOS 8yr barrel proof bottled for the Party Source. Like the last time I had this, it delivers on all fronts. They really picked a good one. Though I can't put a flavor note on it to describe it, it has different things going on from the usual MGP ryes I've had from other labels.

Though I can't put a flavor note on it to describe it, it has different things going on from the usual MGP ryes I've had from other labels.

My feelings exactly. SAOS seems to be able to get more complex flavor barrels from MGP than a lot of others do.

I know MGP has pre-determined mash bills so it must be the warehouse barrel location.

Finished off a bottle of 1982 Jim Beam Rye. It is magnificent. What happened? Not to worry, I have 6 bottles left.

Starting the evening with some basic Baby Saz. When in the mood, this satisfies supremely. I think for the follow up I will join Paddy with a pour of Rittelpig.

Just got this

14289705641951_zpsmtmtefai.jpg

I really would love to hear your thoughts on that, when you crack it open!

Last night I had something new, Alberta Rye Whisky Dark Batch. And I have to say this is a good easy drinking rye, different but good. My only complaint with it is that it's a little hot on the finish.

post-9285-14489822253044_thumb.jpg

I really would love to hear your thoughts on that, when you crack it open!

I had a glass last night. It's young for sure. It has a floral component to its flavors that I didn't expect. It was good but I'm going to wait till after the bottle sits for a time before I decide my opinion of it.

I had a glass last night. It's young for sure. It has a floral component to its flavors that I didn't expect. It was good but I'm going to wait till after the bottle sits for a time before I decide my opinion of it.

Okay! You may want to aerate it and then let it sit for a month or two.

There is a post from the distiller in an earlier thread where he talks about how he developed this flavor.

There is also a BIB version in the works but I have lost track as to when it might be ready to hit the shelves. Would be an interesting bottle to try next to the reported new Pikesville Maryland Style from HH that is supposed to be in the works.

Last night I had something new, Alberta Rye Whisky Dark Batch. And I have to say this is a good easy drinking rye, different but good. My only complaint with it is that it's a little hot on the finish.

Place on the corner from me that usually doesn't have a good selection had one of these on the counter just now when there grabbing a few odds and ends. I couldn't recall your review, should have checked via tapatalk. Might have to run back and grab it since it's walking distance.

edit: just googled for some reviews and everyone on reddit whiskey forums seem to like it to. Guess I need to walk back down and grab it.

Edited by fozzy71

Started with a pour of Rittlepig/Whistlehouse. Once again need to give Paddy the credit for this creation. It's a fascinating blend that I haven't wrapped my head around yet, but I keep coming back to it. I'm following it with SAOS 8yr rye bottled for the Party Source. Fantastic stuff.

Place on the corner from me that usually doesn't have a good selection had one of these on the counter just now when there grabbing a few odds and ends. I couldn't recall your review, should have checked via tapatalk. Might have to run back and grab it since it's walking distance.

edit: just googled for some reviews and everyone on reddit whiskey forums seem to like it to. Guess I need to walk back down and grab it.

CEHT Rye. Enjoyable, and I like that it's a unique profile in a world full of MGP rye (which I like by the way, it's just that it's everywhere). Unfortunately, it's too dang expensive to become a regular.

CEHT Rye. Enjoyable, and I like that it's a unique profile in a world full of MGP rye (which I like by the way, it's just that it's everywhere). Unfortunately, it's too dang expensive to become a regular.

Yes, it is good as well as too damn expensive. I think WTRR is a good alternative, as it brings the similar musty barnyard experience for a little less change.

As for me, I'm three fingers in on a pour of Dickelized (charcoal mellowed) MGP swamp rye. Right in my wheelhouse. :grin:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!