"Moonshine" sold in stores - Is it just vodka?

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nowadays I see this stuff everywhere. A lot of it is flavored too. I keep thinking to myself, this is all nothing more than GNS right? I suppose if some was made from sugar instead, then it would be rum. I have zero interest in buying any of this. I was a bit put off not too long ago. My local grocery store dropped Four Roses products and OGD. These were replaced with some NDPs and multiple flavors of "moonshine". :hot:

Is it just GNS? Yeah, pretty much, no financial incentive to do otherwise. Smart money buys the alcohol and uses the savings for sugar, packaging and promotion.

I generally try to avoid clear spirits while I'm shopping for liquor, it cuts into my bourbon fund.

The labels will tell you. Quite a few are GNS but some are corn whiskey and sugar shine. Some of those are actually not bad

The labels will tell you. Quite a few are GNS but some are corn whiskey and sugar shine. Some of those are actually not bad

Glen Thunder corn whiskey is the best white/unaged whiskey I've tried. HH Trybox rye OTOH was undrinkable. I won't even touch the GNS "moonshine" products.

The funny thing about moonshine is that there's no real definition for it (unless you count the "real" definition, which refers to any illegally distilled spirit).

That being said, if it's just GNS then IMO it's vodka, because grain neutral spirit implies no flavor, odor or character other than alcohol, which is the definition of vodka (in the US).

I've got a jar of Popcorn Sutton's Tennessee White Whiskey that says it's from a mash of Grains and Sugar.

Someone gifted my wife a bottle of Backwoods Pecan pie liqueur, which is packaged to look like moonshine. (I believe they sell a moonshine labeled product as well).

It's pretty tasty, but sweet as real pecan pie. I used it as a shortcut for a Manhattan recipe that used Pecan-Infused Bourbon (added a half ounce of it to 2 oz bourbon).

My wife likes a blackberry version that says it's corn whiskey. I have tried to get her to try bourbons, she tried lot B and said it was pretty good I immediately dropped the idea of getting her to try my bourbons.

I just ordered her a leopold brothers blackberry whiskey, I see what she thinks. Locally leopold bros apple and peach are on the shelf so I'll let her try those if she likes the blackberry.

Living in WV ... buying my "shine" in a store never crossed my mind.

I would think making it was a requirement. That reminds me, I need to find my stills.

It all depends on the distillation proof. If it came off the still at 95% ABV or higher, it's neutral spirit. It it was less than that, it's not.

Given the same mashbill/yeast/still, some distilled at 95% and some some at 94% would not be reliably distinguishable by anyone. But the first one is legally "neutral spirit" and can be used in vodka, while the second is not.

When it comes to all these "Micros," here's the deal. If they buy actual NGS(distilled to 95pr) they're gonna rectify it and sell it as "craft" Vodka or Gin to suckers. When they distill their own new-make un-aged "Whiskey"(Not distilled to 95pr, and therefore not Vodka) they'll bottle it as "Moonshine" or "White Whiskey" and sell it to suckers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.