Laphroaig backlash!

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wow, has anyone here noticed (or participated in) the uproar over the Laphroaig 15 release? We friends of Laphroaig were apparently led to believe we would have an opportunity to purchase the re-released 15 year expression, but once the bottle became available earlier this month the interest was so great that people attempting to purchase it crashed the system. Many "friends" wasted hours on their computers trying to buy a bottle, only to eventually learn that between the crashes and glitches the stuff sold out.

Interesting thing, from my perspective, is the backlash visible on the company's own website. The 15 year bottling currently has just a 2.5 star (out of 5) average review grade, largely caused by people doing reviews to vent about Laphroaig's failure to anticipate demand and produce enough bottles even to accommodate a large percentage of its established "friends." A lot of emotionally charged comments and vows to sever allegiances. Check it out:

http://laphroaig.com/shop/product.aspx?ShopItemID=97#reviews

I guess one of the lessons is that an eager customer is more valued when there aren't so many eager customers waiting in line. But how could Laphroaig not have seen this coming? (There are over 700,000 friends of Laphroaig and they apparently released made just a few thousand bottles available for web order by said loyal customers.) I think it is really a shame, as Laphroaig makes some of my favorite peaty whisky and their marketing has generally seemed quite clever and in touch until now. Would hate to see them become a cliched "victim of their own success."

Heh, I'd bet the biggest backlash will come from the people who *did* get bottles early - when the international rollout comes and tons of people can buy them, they won't feel so special anymore.

Heh, I'd bet the biggest backlash will come from the people who *did* get bottles early - when the international rollout comes and tons of people can buy them, they won't feel so special anymore.

That is one thing I have wondered, whether the initial offering represents a better group of barrels or whether it will all be essentially the same. I am hoping for the latter.

I'm not super thrilled with 43% abv, but I'll probably still try this if the price is reasonable. I don't expect to have to fight over it, given they are releasing something like 60,000 cases to the world.

This reminds me a bit of the Maker's Mark proof change fiasco. The company's own fan club is now being used against it.

Personal opinion, you didn't miss anything. The new 15YO does not stand up to the old 15YO. Didn't impress me enough to put it on my "buy" list (and I absolutely love the old 15YO).

That is one thing I have wondered, whether the initial offering represents a better group of barrels or whether it will all be essentially the same. I am hoping for the latter.

I have no opinion on the whisky as I have not had the pleasure, but I will say that these types of e-infrastructure breakdowns happen for all types of events when there's high demand in an extremely narrow window of time. It's just how it goes with life, and whisky. There will always be more of the latter, so focus on maximizing the limited former. A bunch of petulant children spamming the website won't have any effect on Laphroaig (and Beam Suntory). It does not expose the product or manufacturer, but instead exposes the commenters themselves.

It does not expose the product or manufacturer, but instead exposes the commenters themselves.

I tend to agree in this instance (although apparently some people were under the impression that all "friends of Laphroaig" were guaranteed an opportunity to buy a bottle online and felt misled), but I did get a chuckle out of all the overheated comments. At first I was surprised to see the product being given such a low rating on its own website through hundreds of reviews, and just had to see what was the matter.

I noticed today that my "cheap" place has bumped Laphroaig 18 up to $88 a bottle. Used to be $63 or so. Sure, that was obviously underpriced for today's market, but that's still one heck of a kick in the family jewels. I am curious to see what this comes in at.

Personal opinion, you didn't miss anything. The new 15YO does not stand up to the old 15YO. Didn't impress me enough to put it on my "buy" list (and I absolutely love the old 15YO).

Laphroaig has steadily (bit slowly) gone down over the past 9 years since I have been drinking it, although it is still and good and for a single malt a pretty good deal. The old 15 was the very best whisk(e)y I ever had..I just can't imagine the new one can hold a candle and it looks like you think so. I will pass..

ISO the old 15, dangit. :rolleyes: Why can't it be the golden age of peated whisky?

ISO the old 15, dangit. :rolleyes: Why can't it be the golden age of peated whisky?
I believe The Whisky Exchange has it in stock, as long as you don't mind paying $250+s&h.

I noticed today that my "cheap" place has bumped Laphroaig 18 up to $88 a bottle. Used to be $63 or so. Sure, that was obviously underpriced for today's market, but that's still one heck of a kick in the family jewels. I am curious to see what this comes in at.

The "cheap" place around me has raised it to around $115.

The "cheap" place around me has raised it to around $115.
Yeah, that's why I put a couple away. I'll drink 'em someday.

Yeah, that's why I put a couple away. I'll drink 'em someday.

This was my first (and so far, only) case purchase. 6 bottles at $60 each. I really enjoy the 18 year and doubt I'll ever see it again for that price.

• 3 weeks later...

Meh. Stick to the indie Laphs anyways - they seem to be doing Laphroaig better than Laphroaig these days.

Meh. Stick to the indie Laphs anyways - they seem to be doing Laphroaig better than Laphroaig these days.
Yeah, I'm starting to regret not putting away a few Laphroaig IBs last year to go along with my older caol ila collection.

Especially when it's a Signatory 15 year, distilled in 1998, Sherry casked, Islay Whisky of the Year/Whisky Advocate...beaut of a whisky you generously shared at the gazebo this last weekend! Mighty happy to have tasted that my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course! May dig out another (different) Laphroaig gem for next year!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.