What rye did you purchase today Spring/Summer 2015?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

SAOS Rye 8 Year ACE Spirits Store Selection 121.4 x 2. I never thought I would have access to the BP Rye again. Not opened yet but looking forward to it.

Dad's Hat Rye and a local WashDC sweet vermouth branded Capitoline.

The Capitoline (and its dry partner) were developed with a local distiller - New Columbia - who makes Green Hat gins. We'll use the Capitoline & Dad's Hat to make Manhattans, and the sweet Capitoline and one (or more) of our GH gins to make Gin & Its. Not at the same time, of course.

Picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Rey today. I have finished off all my Dickel, Ritt & Bulleit, so I need something besides my High West Double Rey's. I have never tried the WTR. Probably going to give it a go tonight.

Picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Rey today. I have finished off all my Dickel, Ritt & Bulleit, so I need something besides my High West Double Rey's. I have never tried the WTR. Probably going to give it a go tonight.

The 81 or 101 proof?

The 81 or 101 proof?

It's the 81, haven't seen a 101 in my area for the longest time. Had a pour yesterday and it wasn't too bad. Body is thin, as is the flavor profile, although it seems hot for just 81 proof. I have only had the one pour but I already don't think I'd buy another. I'll try another pour or two but will probably end up using it for some vatting blends.

BTW, I have no idea why I spelled Rye as Rey. Another of my, too often, brain farts I guess!

Edited by johnnyflake45

It's the 81, haven't seen a 101 in my area for the longest time. Had a pour yesterday and it wasn't too bad. Body is thin, as is the flavor profile, although it seems hot for just 81 proof. I have only had the one pour but I already don't think I'd buy another. I'll try another pour or two but will probably end up using it for some vatting blends.

BTW, I have no idea why I spelled Rye as Rey. Another of my, too often, brain farts I guess!

I bought an 81 a couple years ago shortly after I discovered that I liked rye whiskey, and thankfully didn't base my opinion of rye on IT :lol: I would definitely try to get ahold of a 101 if you can - it isn't as plentiful unfortunately, but is a significant improvement over the 81. I used to just dump bottles that I flat out didn't enjoy (Old Overholt is an example - it would have been just a waste of calories for me to consume the rest of the bottle), but I did like the 81 enough to find it useful in some mingles and cocktails. And never bought another :)

Hope you can luck upon a 101!

What he said^^^^^^

Get the 101 rye. It's pretty good and worth the price of admission for me.

$ for $ it's hard to beat WT101 Rye. So thankful it's back on the shelf in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for the input guys. If I spot a WTR 101, I will give it a try. Have any of you blended the 81 with anything that makes it drinkable?

Just picked up two bottles of Sazerac (Baby Saz, I think it's called around these parts) and a 2 year old Willet rye last week in New York.

I'm from PA, but my job's territory covers most oft the Hudson Valley from Yonkers on up to around Ulster. If anyone has a suggestion on a good shop along that route that I should visit, I'm all ears. Variety is the spice of life.

Gotta be a WT 101 somewhere in the Vegas area with all the bars and restaurants in that area although perhaps most of it goes to on premises (bar and restaurant) accounts. Make friends with your favorite local bartender and they may be able to direct you to a supply.

Gotta be a WT 101 somewhere in the Vegas area with all the bars and restaurants in that area although perhaps most of it goes to on premises (bar and restaurant) accounts. Make friends with your favorite local bartender and they may be able to direct you to a supply.

You would think so, but I usually search the 3 biggest stores I know of, Lee's which has 14+ stores in the area, Total Wine with 2 locations and a third, kind of a specialty shop (can't recall the name) that specializes in beer, but also has a nice selection of liquor.

Yesterday, picked up a, new to me, bottle of Baby Saz (never had it) for $29.99 + tax and one of my favs, a bottle of Dickel Rye, for $23.99+ tax.

Got a wild hair and got a bit distracted by a purdy bottle...

Picked up a bottle of "Oppidan" 100% malted rye whiskey at the usual high priced "craft" rate. Very young and distilled in Wheeling, IL. Aged in a collection of different sized barrels from15 to 5 gallons according to one review. Sounds a bit like Potrero except I think Potrero is all aged in full sized barrels.

Probably another one I will come to regret! Oh well, at least the bottle is purdy...

Also passed up a half dozen bottles of baby Saz on the shelf. That is getting to be a rare sight.

post-8493-14489822684879_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822685109_thumb.jpg

"for the modern townsman"

Just so, whatever the heck that means. Kind of evokes a Mad Men image with the quasi 50's modernistic bottle I suppose. What can I say, caught my eye.

Just so, whatever the heck that means. Kind of evokes a Mad Men image with the quasi 50's modernistic bottle I suppose. What can I say, caught my eye.

Taking one for the team yet again.

Picked up another SAOS Rye - these are getting scarce so when I see em I buy em!

Have you seen any barrel proof out there? I have only seen the standard 90 proof in this part of town.

High West Rendezvous Rye. I'd never tried it, and it was cheaper than the Saz Jr. that they had on the shelf for $60.

The standard 7yo OS rye is typically 99 proof I believe. If you are seeing 90 pf that would be unusual. I still see it around. For the moment anyway.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!