What rye did you purchase today Spring/Summer 2015?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a Pikesville 110 proofer, the new iteration of HH's former cheap-as-dirt 80 proofer......and I'm torn. It's expensive at $50, but it is decidedly better than Rittenhouse...but it's also not as good as a SA 7-9 year rye either, so.......it's a B.

Picked up a Pikesville 110 proofer, the new iteration of HH's former cheap-as-dirt 80 proofer......and I'm torn. It's expensive at $50, but it is decidedly better than Rittenhouse...but it's also not as good as a SA 7-9 year rye either, so.......it's a B.

Have you seen any barrel proof out there? I have only seen the standard 90 proof in this part of town.

Unfortunately not, I only see the 99 proof out there now since the announcement!

Unfortunately not, I only see the 99 proof out there now since the announcement!

Stopped in a few places this week and saw the standard 7 year... at $45. It was 35ish before they announced it was being discontinued. I have a few single barrels and standard bottles stashed away so I passed at that price.

Stopped in a few places this week and saw the standard 7 year... at $45. It was 35ish before they announced it was being discontinued. I have a few single barrels and standard bottles stashed away so I passed at that price.

I saw the exact same thing, glad I stock up as much as I could at $35!

Grabbed a replacement CEHT BiB at at pretty normal (around here) $73

Passed on a standard SAOS rye - though I've got my eye on a couple more barrel proof bottles.

Picked up baby Saz x 2. Hadn't seen it since Christmas and the monger advised they'd only gotten two cases. Stuff didn't even go on the shelf and was gone by lunchtime.

Dry Fly, 117.5 proof. Shop owner raved about it and he has been pretty right on with his taste. We'll see.

Dry Fly, 117.5 proof. Shop owner raved about it and he has been pretty right on with his taste. We'll see.

Wait....what? Dry Fly makes a cask-strength rye? I thought they just had a cask-strength wheat whiskey...

Really don't like it that much, got too much of a "medicinal" taste if that makes any sense.

Really don't like it that much, got too much of a "medicinal" taste if that makes any sense.

I'm always curious about local brands, but who knows the next time I'll be in Spokane to visit the distillery...

Also want to try the 4-year Woodinville Whiskey Co. Bourbon that comes out next month...

I'm always curious about local brands, but who knows the next time I'll be in Spokane to visit the distillery...

Also want to try the 4-year Woodinville Whiskey Co. Bourbon that comes out next month...

I'm also interested in the Woodinville 4yr because the distillery is down the road from my house, but I'm afraid you're going to have to shell out more than $100 and wait in line at 7am in order to get one. If that's the case, I'm happy to wait until it becomes a regular thing at a regular price.

I'm also interested in the Woodinville 4yr because the distillery is down the road from my house, but I'm afraid you're going to have to shell out more than $100 and wait in line at 7am in order to get one. If that's the case, I'm happy to wait until it becomes a regular thing at a regular price.

No...no plans whatsoever on lining up to get the very first release...I just meant that it was coming out next month and I'm interested in trying it. It's supposed to be in retail channels the following week...you think they'd really charge a premium just for picking it up at the distillery?

To bring this back on-topic (rye)...I think they're also ageing a rye that will probably be out next year.

No...no plans whatsoever on lining up to get the very first release...I just meant that it was coming out next month and I'm interested in trying it. It's supposed to be in retail channels the following week...you think they'd really charge a premium just for picking it up at the distillery?

To bring this back on-topic (rye)...I think they're also ageing a rye that will probably be out next year.

I'm happy to report that I'm way off on my pricing assumption. (I based it on a limited release they did last year of 4yr old product from the very first full size barrels they filled.)

This new one is actually 5 years old and will be $55 out the door at the distillery and will eventually make it to retail, but no word as to when. I'm happy to pay that to support these guys for at least one bottle to further their development.

If they have a rye at 5 years old from 53 gallon barrels out next year I'll be in for one of those as well.

Thanks for double checking on that...$55 puts it into the category of "taste before I buy". I would have bought it blind below $40.

Are you sure about the 5 years? I was under the impression that they hadn't filled their first full-size barrels until around Nov. 2010.

(Hey Mods: Can you move this discussion about the Woodinville Whiskey Bourbon into it's own thread?)

Edited by GrPeMi

Hidden

Thanks for checking on the pricing. $55 puts it into the "taste before I buy" category. I would have bought it blind @ $40.

Also, are you sure about the 5 years? I thought they didn't start filling full-size barrels until ~Nov. 2010.

This past Wed. I purchased a bottle of Tom Foolery rye from the distillery located Chagrin Falls, OH. It is young but decent!

After reading that SAOS ryes are going away, I grabbed one last night (7yo) when I saw some on the shelf at a store I don't usually visit, for I think $43.

Went to another store today and picked up another Sazerac for $23.99.

Wow! At that price I would have cleared the shelf and asked if there was any more in the back.

Yes I'm one of those bastards.

It was in the stores glass case so I had to ask someone to get it. When he told me the price I asked if could have 2 and he said one bottle limit.

Saw it at another store for $35 as well.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!