Your Stash

BourbonGuy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A lot of members here have a huge stash. If they found you had a medical condition and could no longer drink alcohol, what would you do with your stash?

If faced with a situation where my normal consumption would result in my untimely death, I would start gifting most of my stash to friends and family who would appreciate it. But I would still hold on to some of my favorites, just because there would always be hope for advancements in medical science if I could just hold out long enough. Even if, let's say, someone were diagnosed with hepatitis C (or whichever is the nastiest variety), where alcohol would likely cause a lot more damage to your liver, there could conceivably be drug therapies that might be available down the road, where you could be cured of your illness, and once again start drinking (even if it were only in relative moderation).

And I'd also like to keep some on-hand, just in case things continued to worsen. I'd want to have one last drink to send me off into the great beyond.

If faced with a situation where my normal consumption would result in my untimely death, I would start gifting most of my stash to friends and family who would appreciate it. But I would still hold on to some of my favorites, just because there would always be hope for advancements in medical science if I could just hold out long enough. Even if, let's say, someone were diagnosed with hepatitis C (or whichever is the nastiest variety), where alcohol would likely cause a lot more damage to your liver, there could conceivably be drug therapies that might be available down the road, where you could be cured of your illness, and once again start drinking (even if it were only in relative moderation).

And I'd also like to keep some on-hand, just in case things continued to worsen. I'd want to have one last drink to send me off into the great beyond.

Actually there is now a cure for Hepatitis C. But your reply is well thought out.

I would get a second opinion.

Great! My second laugh of the day.

I would not only get a second opinion but a third and a fourth until I got the one I liked.

During my over 43 years of clinical lab experience, I have three pearls of wisdom from three different great pathologist. They are:

1. Don't impress me with quantity, impress me with quality.

2. If you have to imagine that it's there, it isn't.

3. All of medicine is opinion.

I truly loved Scott's comment I'd get a second opinion.

To answer the original question, I'd drink less and enjoy it more. I'd share with friends, and leave it for my wife, daughter, and son-in-law to enjoy.

Will

I'd gift mine to friends on here I know would appreciate it.... In fact, that's what's in my will if something happens to me.

Think I'm going to build me a Vat for my coffin and just pour the entire lot in ... and "Pickle me in Bourbon...." Who says you cant take it with you? :lol:

I'd auction it off, and spend the money on guns, guitars, motorcycles, watches etc... I have plenty of vices, one more or less isn't going to be a problem:)

Ted

Actually there is now a cure for Hepatitis C. But your reply is well thought out.

yeah, but youd have to sell the entire lot of stolen pappy to pay for it! Last I heard, it was an $85K treatment

Well, $85 vs Death......

A friend did not have a collection, but with the diagnosis of stomach cancer he could not drink, nor hold it down if he did.

But I wondered, I only have about 10 bottles bunkered. Some of you have more than some liquor stores. I guess putting it up of auction is the only legal way to sell it?

I'd give away all opened bottles and unopened ones that had no collector or sentimental value, mostly to a few select friends who I know would appreciate it. I'd hang onto all the limited edition/rarer bottles that might possibly be resold. If advances in medical science allowed me to drink again some day, I'd have a good start. If I keeled over from whatever vile condition with which I had been struck, then I'd leave it up to my wife to decide whether to sell the "good stuff" or throw a huge bash at my wake.

I think my buddies would have some kind of spider-sense tingling and I'd come home from the doctor to find the basement empty. Either that, or I would just drink myself to death. They both seem equally likely when I really consider it.

getting a kick out of some of these responses! :lol:

as someone who performs many many liver transplants a year, often but not always from alcoholic cirrhosis or hepatitis c, liver failure is absolutely no fun. the new medications like sovaldi are crazy expensive and its not clear how the insurance industry is going to decide how and for whom to pay. there is nothing like taking a gross, infected, cirrhotic liver out of someone to question whether or not to have another drink!

but to answer the question, i'd keep a few of my favorites and pass the others off to friends who i know would appreciate the booze

Hmmm, serious health condition leaves me no opportunity to, ever again, enjoy my own stash...:cry:

I'd just have one hell of a party (or several), until it had been put to good use! :icon_pidu:

I can't take it with me...

To my brother. He's the one who got me into this addiction in the first place. It'll probably cost too much to bring it back to Japan where he & many other ex-pats join every Wednesday night for Bourbon & cigar nights but at least he'd be bringing his friends a few varieties they've never had before.

My wife drinks bourbon. It would take her a while, but she'd eventually finish it all.

As for my ryes, in which she has no interest. Have a friend, mostly a SMS drinker, who's liked the ryes I've poured for him, so he'd probably get those.

No plans to give any of mine away (any more than I already do!) but it is going to be a hell of a wake...

I'd keep a few choice bottles, reduce my consumption, and let family and friends have a helluva party (or two, or three, or . . . )

yeah, but youd have to sell the entire lot of stolen pappy to pay for it! Last I heard, it was an $85K treatment

Still cheaper than a liver transplant. Better guarantee on the drug than transplant outcome long term.

Plus insurance does pick up most of the cost, you'd just hit your max out of pocket for the year very fast.

This I know, couple steps from my office I have what is likely the largest supply in the state of Harvoni.

But that being said. I have a heel of a drink, and give most to friends. Which you likely be mostly members here, as I have very few folks in town that I know that like bourbon

B

I'll just give away the bottles to friends and family except for a George T. Stagg. They'll have to pry that bottle from my cold dead hand.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.