Blending Your Own Whiskey

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There was discussion in another thread about how Dark Horse from Alberta Springs is blended.

I thought this might be a good thread to discuss do-it-yourself blending. Because this can include non-whisky components such as syrups and sherry, I am placing it here in the Non-Whiskey Alcohol category. Therefore too, I exclude vatting from this discussion, since it entails combining all straights, and is addressed in other threads.

One of the things I sometimes do is "improve" (i.e., by my lights) an existing blend. A simple example is adding one or more malts to a bottle of (blended) Scotch. So, one can add to and "adjust" a bottle of a given brand, or confect from scratch a blend using various types of whisky, non-whisky spirits, wines, and/or flavourings of various kinds (sugars, spices, fruits, etc.).

I bought a Dark Horse yesterday. Each bottle IMO is slightly different: some are deeper in flavor, some smoother, some seem to have more straight whiskey character, etc.

The current bottle I bought seemed a little thin in all departments so to speak, so with some 3-4 ounces consumed, I topped up the bottle with 2 ounces of bourbon (Buffalo Trace), an ounce or perhaps less of Lot 40, and a dash of an Oloroso sherry I keep in the fridge. I figured it has enough of the non-straight type of whiskey (the 12 year element), plus the bottle was full so I stopped. :)

It's great! The flavour is on the same dimension as the Dark Horse but richer, deeper, with a similar nutty sweetness from the sherries. Any of you guys would really like it.

Gary

• 1 month later...

I have made several bourbon blends and I really enjoy trying different things. As I finished a recent one, I wondered if it could be improved with a little aged rum. I added a few ml to my last dram and it was pretty good.

Have you used rum in your whiskey blends, Gary?

Yes and it works great, I've done it the other way too (small amount of whiskey to a rum blend).

Gary

I have added bourbon to some Ximinez Cream Sherry which was very sweet. It made the sherry drinkable but can't say that it did much for the bourbon.

I really don't go out of my way to blend my own whiskey. Most of my attempts are accidental...:D. However, I do kick around with some mingles that start with a peaty scotch, and then working in a bourbon. Or, maybe the other way around, because that peat can be so domineering. I have found I like these peat with bourbon combos. Finding the right proportions can be a challenge, though. Lag16 and OG114 have been quite the TransAtlantic bombshell. The burnt corner of the brownie pan note and sweetness of the 114 works really well with the heavy peat of the Lag.

I really don't go out of my way to blend my own whiskey. Most of my attempts are accidental...:D. However, I do kick around with some mingles that start with a peaty scotch, and then working in a bourbon. Or, maybe the other way around, because that peat can be so domineering. I have found I like these peat with bourbon combos. Finding the right proportions can be a challenge, though. Lag16 and OG114 have been quite the TransAtlantic bombshell. The burnt corner of the brownie pan note and sweetness of the 114 works really well with the heavy peat of the Lag.

I usually mix four roses single barrel with other single barrel four roses. Never fails ?

I really enjoy experimenting with mixing different whiskey, bourbon and rye, however, not in a crazy way. I think out what I am trying to achieve and go for it. So far, I have only come up with two vatting that work for me and I really enjoy. There have been many others that were okay, but not something I would mix into a large batch and keep on hand. The two I do have a nice batch of and enjoy often, are a 60/40 blend of Rebel Yell (60%) and MM46 (40%). I also truly enjoy a 3 Rye blend, equal parts of each, Bulleit, Ritt 100 and Dickel.

Anyone have any personal favorites that you came up with?

Most of my blending comes at the end of the bottle when it isn't enough to make a decent pour I add something else to it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.